Islanders General Rumour, Trade, FA, & Waiver Speculation 2018-19 Part III

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I don't understand the Pelech hate. He's played ONE season and not in the best scenarios. He was put into certain conditions that someone of his experience should never be in. It's the same as people hating on AHO at the beginning. You see a small sample and you made up your mind..then later, when the player is playing well, you pretend that you always thought that person was amazing and you backed him all the way.

Anyway...I predict that later on in the season..AHO will move up to top 4 with Pulock and Hickey dropping back

Reactions: dood

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I don't understand the Pelech hate. He's played ONE season and not in the best scenarios. He was put into certain conditions that someone of his experience should never be in. It's the same as people hating on AHO at the beginning. You see a small sample and you made up your mind..then later, when the player is playing well, you pretend that you always thought that person was amazing and you backed him all the way.

Anyway...I predict that later on in the season..AHO will move up to top 4 with Pulock and Hickey dropping back

That's, uhh, a rich prediction.

I can see it happening too... should Pulock and Hickey both be on the IR at that time.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I don't know why people don't get this, he had three superstar seasons while he was here. He was an above average center.

Because he the past 3 years he was around 70 points the prior two and the second half of last season he was on that same pace.

He had legit good wings those years too. I'm not Capuano fan but when he plays in a team structure that pushes responsible defensive play he doesn't put up big numbers.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

People hate Pelech because his first full year in the league he played under the worst coaching that this team has ever seen and they for some reason can't recognize it.

I didn't like Aho in the beginning but I think he'll be a nice player. I hope he pans out.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Are saying Aho will be better than Pulock, or just that their pairing will be moved down?

Either way, I don’t see it happening.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Not hating on Pelech. Just saying he was not nearly as solid as I had hoped he'd be.

And I would prefer that Snow hadn't tied up roster spots, by giving Pelech & Mayfield those 4 and 5 yr extensions. Nothing those players have shown, makes me think they should automatically be penciled into the isles roster.

Reactions: PuckItUp27 and MJF

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Not hating on Pelech. Just saying he was not nearly as solid as I had hoped he'd be.

And I would prefer that Snow hadn't tied up roster spots, by giving Pelech & Mayfield those 4 and 5 yr extensions. Nothing those players have shown, makes me think they should automatically be penciled into the isles roster.

I don't mind the concept behind the move and I see the rationale behind locking up Pelech for long term at that price, I just don't see why we needed to do the same with Mayfield. With Pelech, the possibility exists that he blossoms under a bridge deal and makes it very expensive to re-sign him (its possible that he turns into a $4/5m player in the next 2 years or so. With Mayfield, that same upside isn't really there. How valuable do we really expect him to be in 2 years? I can't see him turning into a top 4 Dman. So, why not just give him a 1 or 2 year deal and address his situation later?

There's nothing wrong with that philosophy - its just the implementation that needs work.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I don't mind the concept behind the move and I see the rationale behind locking up Pelech for long term at that price, I just don't see why we needed to do the same with Mayfield. With Pelech, the possibility exists that he blossoms under a bridge deal and makes it very expensive to re-sign him (its possible that he turns into a $4/5m player in the next 2 years or so. With Mayfield, that same upside isn't really there. How valuable do we really expect him to be in 2 years? I can't see him turning into a top 4 Dman. So, why not just give him a 1 or 2 year deal and address his situation later?

There's nothing wrong with that philosophy - its just the implementation that needs work.
The evaluatin of Pelech was all wrong. He won’t be a good defenseman in this league. There was no need to sign and then protect him.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
The evaluatin of Pelech was all wrong. He won’t be a good defenseman in this league. There was no need to sign and then protect him.

I think Snow really shit the bed when it came to the lottery. We could quibble over whether Pelech warranted the signing (I think the jury is still out, but can see why you may disagree) - but I think its pretty clear that he didn't warrant being protected. Certainly at the sacrifice of a 1st rounder +. We gave up our first round pick so we wouldn't have to be faced with giving up one of Nelson, De Haan or Pelech. Pulock was in that group as well but if we left those guys unprotected, we wouldn't have had an issue protecting Pulock. What an absolute cluster f***.

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
I don’t believe this guy. Why would we give up an arm and a leg to our division rival for a goalie ? No goalie is gonna make us a contender. So many other holes

The last part I disagree with. Bob is a Vezina caliber goalie. Right now with Lehner we could be a wild card team IF everything went really well everywhere else but with Bob this team is a definite playoff team

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I don’t believe this guy. Why would we give up an arm and a leg to our division rival for a goalie ? No goalie is gonna make us a contender. So many other holes
EF is one of the best in the business, so if he says there's something there, there's probably something there. It's not entirely clear though, is he talking about trading for Bob, or offering a huge contract when he hits UFA?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
This is purely what he believes. There are no rumors or sources that show the Isles have any interest. Just what he thinks.

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
Oh man, just had Dave Pagnotta on my show. Talked about Erik Karlsson. Said that the Islanders and Senators has really extensive talks about Karlsson and Ryan. The Islanders were even given permission to talk to Karlsson about a extension. Said it might have fell apart when Karlsson wasn’t willing to sign a extension right away but he said to be fair the same was said for Vegas, San Jose etc. So he thinks having to wait until Feb. to sign him might have been the down fall

Reactions: xECK29x

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Yeah...I am thinking Karlsson handcuffed the Sens which explains the crappy return.

I have a theory on the long term deals with Mayfield and Pelech. That might be for the next expansion draft. By locking in these serviceable dmen...it looks attractive to Seattle to get someone on a long term low salary contract to control cap better so they can sig better players...just a thought

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Is he talking about a trade this season, or UFA next summer? I'm assuming the latter.

Pretty sure Friedman is talking about UFA or a sign and trade type situation. Highly doubt the Isles are going to give up anything for 1 year of Brobrovsky when they could just pursue him as a UFA.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Out of Paccioretty, Bobrovsky and EK, Bobrovsky to me would be the biggest prize. EK the second. Don't get me wrong, I still like Karlsson, I just believe he's not the same after his injury, nor will he ever be. That's not to say he won't be a force to reckon with, just that he won't be franchise level anymore.

Based on need it's a close tie between needing an elite defenseman and needing an elite goaltender. Bob's my choice. I hoping Trotz can employ a team defense that makes even weak defenders get by on effort alone. Bob can be game changing. Of course, I'm worried about Bob's injury history but goalies can usually play successfully into their late 30's so I still believe he's got at least 6 good years left in the tank.

Reactions: dood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->