:isles

LW/RW Rickard Rakell
C Derek Grant
D Michael Del Zotto

:ducks2

RD Noah Dobson
2020 1st
2020 2nd

Looking at the recent returns on Zucker and Coleman, it should take a true blue chip piece to get the Ducks to part with Rakell right now. A top prospect at a position where they are completely devoid of future talent may be just the ticket. Dobson can play sheltered offensive minutes to start and possibly start to improve a dreadful powerplay over the next couple seasons. Becomes a key part of the Ducks next offensive core along with Zegras and this year's early pick.

A two time 30 goal guy signed from ages 26-29 for under $4M - such a huge luxury for a team looking to contend in that window. Dobson obviously has tremendous potential but won't be a key contributor this year or perhaps even next. Are the Isles willing to part with a future stud in order to vastly improve their fortunes for their next three runs?

I've added two rentals as well. Grant provides a big body center who takes on tough defensive minutes, kills penalties, wins draws and is scoring at a 20+ goal pace. Ideal bottom six center who can move up if needed. Don't get too attached, we want to sign Grantlzaf back in Anaheim this summer.

Del Zotto represents a cheap depth replacement if needed. He's been used over his head this year as a #5 who has been forced into the top 4 due to injuries, better suited for a 6/7 role.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Wouldnt trade Dobson without the picks for them. Isles also have zero need for Del Zotto.

LW/RW Rickard Rakell
C Derek Grant

Wahlstrom
2020 1st
2020 3rd

Reactions: periferal

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
In a vacuum, not bad conceptually. But most Isles fans, and seemingly the Isles organization; view Dobson as a core piece.

Barzal (F)
Dobson (D)
Sorokin (G) <- Hopefully, a lot of question marks still.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Wouldnt trade Dobson without the picks for them. Isles also have zero need for Del Zotto.

LW/RW Rickard Rakell
C Derek Grant

Wahlstrom
2020 1st
2020 3rd

Maybe put Del Zotto back and Isles include Hickey and another prospect to drop the 3rd to a 4/5th?

EDIT: I’m pretty sure Ducks can get similar or better value elsewhere. But even then this might be too rich for the Isles.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
:isles

LW/RW Rickard Rakell
C Derek Grant
D Michael Del Zotto

:ducks2

RD Noah Dobson
2020 1st
2020 2nd

Looking at the recent returns on Zucker and Coleman, it should take a true blue chip piece to get the Ducks to part with Rakell right now. A top prospect at a position where they are completely devoid of future talent may be just the ticket. Dobson can play sheltered offensive minutes to start and possibly start to improve a dreadful powerplay over the next couple seasons. Becomes a key part of the Ducks next offensive core along with Zegras and this year's early pick.

A two time 30 goal guy signed from ages 26-29 for under $4M - such a huge luxury for a team looking to contend in that window. Dobson obviously has tremendous potential but won't be a key contributor this year or perhaps even next. Are the Isles willing to part with a future stud in order to vastly improve their fortunes for their next three runs?

I've added two rentals as well. Grant provides a big body center who takes on tough defensive minutes, kills penalties, wins draws and is scoring at a 20+ goal pace. Ideal bottom six center who can move up if needed. Don't get too attached, we want to sign Grantlzaf back in Anaheim this summer.

Del Zotto represents a cheap depth replacement if needed. He's been used over his head this year as a #5 who has been forced into the top 4 due to injuries, better suited for a 6/7 role.

Isles are building around 22 yr old Barzal, 20 yr old Dobson and 24 yr old Sorokin who press says they refuse to trade and want to bring over this summer.

No interest in trading ANY of those 3 building blocks

Reactions: BearsofBeantown

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Easy no for me, players aren't impactful enough for that return, not even close.

Rakell for 1st and Bellows

Grant could likely be had for a 3rd + B prospect

Reactions: periferal

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Maybe put Del Zotto back and Isles include Hickey and another prospect to drop the 3rd to a 4/5th?

EDIT: I’m pretty sure Ducks can get similar or better value elsewhere. But even then this might be too rich for the Isles.

Yea that's fair.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

LW/RW Rickard Rakell
C Derek Grant

Wahlstrom
2020 1st
2020 3rd

I don't think Rakell goes without a true blue chipper coming back. Your suggestion isn't all that far from what Coleman and Zucker just cost, I think getting Rakell would require going beyond that - in terms of quality and not quantity.

In a world where Coleman can fetch Foote + 1st, the Ducks have to hold out and demand a Dobson or Bouchard type prospect as a centerpiece to a Rakell deal.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
I don't think Rakell goes without a true blue chipper coming back. Your suggestion isn't all that far from what Coleman and Zucker just cost, I think getting Rakell would require going beyond that - in terms of quality and not quantity.

In a world where Coleman can fetch Foote + 1st, the Ducks have to hold out and demand a Dobson or Bouchard type prospect as a centerpiece to a Rakell deal.

Yea I understand these past few trades have been big overpayments. With that being said we love dobson and can't see us trading him. If we do in fact overpay he wouldn't be involved. I can agree with you that Rakell should fetch more than those other guys, I would also like him on the Isles just not at the expense of Dobson.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

This is why it may be to prohibitive for the Isles. Even if the value is correct, it just might be too much for the Isles.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
This is why it may be to prohibitive for the Isles. Even if the value is correct, it just might be too much for the Isles.

And that's fair, in the end it's very possible that no one is willing to part with a good enough piece. I just don't see the Ducks getting into advanced talks with anyone who doesn't have a true high end ELC talent to offer.

Reactions: CupHolders

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY

I do have to compliment you on being able to admit that 'no, this just won't work'. Too many other threads devolve into 10+ pages of 'no, you 'have' to take the junk we offered because of ... reasons & here's why your guy sucks & how we're doing you a favor by offering used jock straps for him...'

Kind of refreshing really.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Easy no for me, players aren't impactful enough for that return, not even close.

Rakell for 1st and Bellows

Grant could likely be had for a 3rd + B prospect

It's fine to suggest the Isles aren't in a position to move a high end piece like Dobson for him, but that's what it's going to take. There's absolutely no reason to think Rakell would go for a 1st + Bellows type price, a dozen teams would have already jumped all over that.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

I hear ya on what the market looks to be, but there is no way the team trades Dobson along with a 2020 #1.

Just ain’t happening

Addison and Foote are not on the same prospect planet.

2020 #1 and Holmstrom fits more of the profile.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Rakell prob wont bring back dobs...

Maybe something like

Rakell + grant
For
2020 1st, bellows, wilde + pick or prospect

Reactions: WangMustGo

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Absolutely Not from the isles. I like Rakell but not willing to give up Dobson. He’s the isles best chance at a true #1 defenseman.

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018

Rackell and Zucker have very similar point productions and its 1 year difference in age. Granted there are other things each player brings to the table, but its not like Rackell leaps and bounds better than Rackell. Would hockey teams love to add Rackell.....in a heart beat as I personally think he offers more with his hard to quantify intangibles. That being said, its unlikely that the Isle move away what they consider their building block D man.

Foote is highly touted, but there are some gaps in his game that some scouts were concerned about - like his foot speed and acceleration when he gets to the NHL. He projects to be a 2nd line power forward. Dobson is considered to have the top pairing D man potential - and given D men in the top 4 are at more of premium then forwards, it would be hard to justify moving what the Isles consider a core future piece.

The person that posted Wahlstrom and the 1st may be a more accurate offering of what they would be willing to part with.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Rakell prob wont bring back dobs...

Maybe something like

Rakell + grant
For
2020 1st, bellows, wilde + pick or prospect
Dobson might not be a piece the Islanders are willing to move (most teams don't give up their best prospect in general), but if that's the return for Rakell I wouldn't do it. I don't see Bellows or Wilde being better prospects than what we have now and just adding more prospects like that doesn't really help us. With Rakell, the trade has to be a quality trade over a quantity trade. If we're not getting a prospect (RHD preferably) that has either elite or top pairing potential then I rather just keep Rakell.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I stopped reading at Dobson. Isles pass if it includes the top prospect in the system.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Rackell and Zucker have very similar point productions and its 1 year difference in age. Granted there are other things each player brings to the table, but its not like Rackell leaps and bounds better than Rackell. Would hockey teams love to add Rackell.....in a heart beat as I personally think he offers more with his hard to quantify intangibles. That being said, its unlikely that the Isle move away what they consider their building block D man.

Foote is highly touted, but there are some gaps in his game that some scouts were concerned about - like his foot speed and acceleration when he gets to the NHL. He projects to be a 2nd line power forward. Dobson is considered to have the top pairing D man potential - and given D men in the top 4 are at more of premium then forwards, it would be hard to justify moving what the Isles consider a core future piece.

The person that posted Wahlstrom and the 1st may be a more accurate offering of what they would be willing to part with.
Rakell's contract is substantially better than zucker's.

Not wanting to move Dobson is understandable, but that's what moving rakell should shoot for.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Dobson might not be a piece the Islanders are willing to move (most teams don't give up their best prospect in general), but if that's the return for Rakell I wouldn't do it. I don't see Bellows or Wilde being better prospects than what we have now and just adding more prospects like that doesn't really help us. With Rakell, the trade has to be a quality trade over a quantity trade. If we're not getting a prospect (RHD preferably) that has either elite or top pairing potential then I rather just keep Rakell.
Theres really only 2 teams that could really give us what your asking
Oilers... potentially 1 of bouchard/broberg
Avs…. timmins
Out of those 2 teams I don't think avs would move timmmins for rakell…. Oilers might as they have those 2 + Bear + the Russian kid

Outside of that I don't see any teams trading us an "elite d prospect" for rakell

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Theres really only 2 teams that could really give us what your asking
Oilers... potentially 1 of bouchard/broberg
Avs…. timmins
Out of those 2 teams I don't think avs would move timmmins for rakell…. Oilers might as they have those 2 + Bear + the Russian kid

Outside of that I don't see any teams trading us an "elite d prospect" for rakell
then we don't trade him. Just adding average prospects to our prospect pool isn't really going to help when we're already godawful at developing prospects especially defensemen. We're going to need a player that our development staff can't screw up.

I know I'm alone in thinking our development staff is awful, but I haven't seen anything from our prospects over the years that proves otherwise.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
then we don't trade him. Just adding average prospects to our prospect pool isn't really going to help when we're already godawful at developing prospects especially defensemen. We're going to need a player that our development staff can't screw up.

I know I'm alone in thinking our development staff is awful, but I haven't seen anything from our prospects over the years that proves otherwise.
I suppose i may be higher than you on guys like Helleson/Wilde range.... but I def wouldn't mind either guy in a rakell move... + the 1st gives us a shot at Barron/Schneider.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I suppose i may be higher than you on guys like Helleson/Wilde range.... but I def wouldn't mind either guy in a rakell move... + the 1st gives us a shot at Barron/Schneider.
I'm admittedly going off scouting reports and current stats, none of which show them as players I would want in a return for Rakell. Helleson seems more like a defensive D which is not what we need. And Wilde's point production in the AHL is pretty underwhelming. Wilde would be a great prospect to have, but not if we're giving up Rakell; and a late 1st doesn't really improve the deal for us either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad