Post-Game Talk: Islanders defeat RANGERS 3-2 (OT)

3 Stars

• Artemi Panarin

• Mika Zibanejad

• Pavel Buchnevich

• Vitali Kravtsov

• Chris Kreider

• Igor Shesterkin

• Adam Fox

• Alexis Lafreniere

• Kaapo Kakko

• K’Andre Miller

• Colin Blackwell

• Brendan Smith

• Filip Chytil

• Kevin Rooney

• Brett Howden

• Ryan Lindgren

• Ryan Strome

• Jacob Trouba

• Libor Hajek

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
So he lost some but not everyone? They come unprepared (your opinion how long - 5 min, 10? ) but then become one of the better teams in the 2nd and 3rd periods, is how he lost the team? Or maybe instead you can think about that Quinn is dealing with the youngest team in the league and inconsistencies (over stretch of games, game by game or even within games) is par for the course. And that Quinn message is actually getting through since the Rangers find ways to change a course of game or not allow prolonged game losing stretches.

Thank you for saying that not everything gone bad, I guess.
Why do you think 9 out of every 10 games they come out in the first at watch the other team either dominate them or go into an early hole that’s almost impossible to claw out of. I’m not going to sit here and say everything in his tenure has been bad, but I’m also not going to praise him for doing the most remedial line up changes ordinary fans have been calling for. Then finally when he does them he reverts back to his old self. I also question his deployment of many of the kids. Especially when they are playing well. It’s like some of you guys are Quinn’s cousins with the way you defend everything the guy does. Even when the players or Quinn himself said he was wrong about things. Or that he lost players ice time in the shuffle of the game. I don’t believe he’s some master tactician playing 4 D chess. Think of where this team would be right now with out Martin hire, panarin or fox being other worldly most nights. I’ll wait

Reactions: Captain Lindy

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
I always had this feeling during the contending years that we were just not quite good enough to win in all. Whether it be AV's buffoonery or we were just a player short. I feel much better this time around that we will have the necessary pieces and top end talent to contend for the cup in a few years and win it.
I think the issue was that our roster is still very average, but with generational talent goaltending. With Lundqvist you only needed an average looking lineup. It's a shame it took us so long to get to that point. With the makeup of the current day lineup, I'm sure prime Lundkvist could win us a cup.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

itsPLkielbasa

Aug 30, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Can someone tell me why Kakko, Laf or Krav don't get a chance in the OT? They were literally the best players all game and no reward? I understand putting Zib, Panarin and Fox to start.

I would just throw out three forwards instead of putting Trouba out there.

1st period was horrible. The next two were good hockey. OT was a disaster.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I'm not Quinn's biggest fan, although I don't hate him like many on here. But I don't get the hate for him when the Rangers took 3 of 4 from the best team in the division. They played them hard two games straight. If we split with NJ, criticize all you want, but after these back-to-backs (especially where the kids have shined), I just don't get it.
I don’t hate him either. I’m just not part of those who will viciously defend his every decision. We have 8 of 9 coming up against sub par teams. How many of those games do you think this team as is will win. Honestly?

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Can someone tell me why Kakko, Laf or Krav don't get a chance in the OT? They were literally the best players all game and no reward? I understand putting Zib, Panarin and Fox to start.

It ended too soon. They would have been out there. I question the Strome/Kreider pairing. Kreider was having a crap game.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

We only had 2 line-changes in OR. Maybe they would have gone next? Maybe not. The second line change was going to have Chytil or Strome - you needed 1, but I don't know why Quinn they put them together, but maybe it had something to do with Kreider being absolute shit.

Reactions: haveandare

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
We only had 2 line-changes in OR. Maybe they would have gone next? Maybe not. The second line change was going to have Chytil or Strome - you needed 1, but I don't know why Quinn they put them together.
D-zone draw, Strome gets thrown out of the faceoff circle all the time - whether that's because he goes early or his wingers do, idk

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don’t hate him either. I’m just not part of those who will viciously defend his every decision. We have 8 of 9 coming up against sub par teams. How many of those games do you think this team as is will win. Honestly?
Lol nobody viciously defends his every decision. Many people dramatically exaggerate his flaws to ridiculous degrees and then some people point that out

Reactions: Miamipuck

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Yes it did, just like us losing Shesty, Panarin, Chytil, Kakko, and Trouba for extended periods. The Isles are a solid team with a good coach. It won't be enough though. They struggled against us in 4 of the 6 periods we just played. They won't get past the second round. I just hope they keep trading away high draft picks in order to go for it now. They are making the same mistakes we made when we thought we had a shot at a cup with our previous core. They traded away last years 1st and 2nd in a great draft and this years 1st. Keep it up Lou.
They shut down our top two lines for two straight games. It pains me to say this... but Islanders definitely have a legitimate shot at the cup this year if their goaltending is hot and they keep games close.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
there are certain things I like that he has done in his tenure. But I’m afraid he’s time is coming to an end shortly. By all means she’d tears for the man if you like or throw a parade if you think he walks on water. Or continue to be a sarcastic Richard. It’s seems it’s what your best at provide to the conversation

Hey, you zoomed right past your ridiculous allegation that Quinn lost the team at the beginning of the season, when I explained what happens when a coach loses a team.

Then what choice did you have but to write something that's irrelevant.

You're right about only one thing, I will goof on someone who posts a theory that they can provide no evidence for, other than they snatched it out of their rectum.

Conversation involves defending your statements when called to, but like many others who have no evidence, you attack. I don't mind that, because it's proof that you don't even understand what it looks like when a coach loses his team.

Any other make believe theories? Are you part of the group that thinks Quinn and Howden are lovers.

Reactions: haveandare

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
They shut down our top two lines for two straight games. It pains me to say this... but Islanders definitely have a legitimate shot at the cup this year if their goaltending is hot and they keep games close.

Everybody said that last year and I knew all along it wasn't going to happen. This year they don't have a 4 month layoff to help and they have a worse roster than last year especially without Lee. They may have shut down the top line(which hasn't been good 5v5 for a while) but they couldn't handle the kid line and we outplayed them overall in 4 out of 6 periods. IMO Tampa, Carolina, Washington, Pitt, Boston, Colorado, Vegas, Toronto are all equal or better. I will be surprised if they get past the 2nd round.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
When did I say I looked at a bar chart. Instead of worry about what I’m doing why don’t you and your friends organize the Quinn for Norris super pac

You weren't the person I was talking about in the bar chart comment. Not everything revolves around you, but this gave you another chance to lash out. So, congrats.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I noticed him. He was out there for one reason, the fact that it was a d-zone draw and he needed two C’s. His combinations in OT are disgusting. Thoughts?

Your comment said Chytil wasn't out there, so I replied to that.

I was totally fine with who started OT, was so-so on the second group, and was fine with Chytil in the 3rd group. I wouldn't use Strome and particularly Miller, because of his penchant for losing control but you have to have a defenseman out there. I certainly wouldn't want Trouba, so that leaves Lindgren, who isn't a great choice, either.

I'd probably have opted for Kakko instead of Strome. My guess is he wouldn't use Kravtsov because of his lack of experience. At some point that will change.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Why do you think 9 out of every 10 games they come out in the first at watch the other team either dominate them or go into an early hole that’s almost impossible to claw out of. I’m not going to sit here and say everything in his tenure has been bad, but I’m also not going to praise him for doing the most remedial line up changes ordinary fans have been calling for. Then finally when he does them he reverts back to his old self. I also question his deployment of many of the kids. Especially when they are playing well. It’s like some of you guys are Quinn’s cousins with the way you defend everything the guy does. Even when the players or Quinn himself said he was wrong about things. Or that he lost players ice time in the shuffle of the game. I don’t believe he’s some master tactician playing 4 D chess. Think of where this team would be right now with out Martin hire, panarin or fox being other worldly most nights. I’ll wait

I wanted to answer and then reread our exchange and decided I'm done here. There's nothing new I can say that hasn't been said already but you're still there finding new "issues" to blame on Quinn.

Enjoy.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I mean it was another slow start and I think the majority of those who are irked with Quinn are irked because of the way he handled Kreider at the end of the game.

That can't be true because the ripping of Quinn was present throughout the entire game, all season long, and for years before that. It's a way of life for some until they can bitch about the next coach, like they bitched about all the previous coaches.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I have no idea why they let him go....most likely the GM had a difference of opinion on something that he did not agree with.....something along those lines in all likelihood ? What teams have hired new coaches since he was released from LV ? Gallant is not starving by any means...he lives a good life on PEI surrounded by his /her huge family and such .

Sometimes it is not always about him...remember he has a wife and two recent grandchildren living close by at the current time ....maybe that weighs in his decision to coach in Minnesota? ?? ...he likely figures he has one shot left and wants to make the most of the best situation for him and them . Who knows if LV made the right decision ? If they win the Cup yes they did....but if they fall short again ???

I think Gerard /Turk will reappear again at some point , but for now , I think he is pretty happy sitting the Covid stuff out and playing golf watching his grand kids grow and collecting an NHL coaching salary without the burden is a bonus . Anyways...we will see what happens when his paychecks stop being deposited this Summer . Maybe he has a deal already in place with Seattle and he is milking LV for every last cent . LOL...I would love to see him in NY....it would be free tickets for sure !!!

Who knows what JD has up his sleeve....remember Gorton is not JD's hire either . So...we might have a huge shift in the off season as this club prepares for it's next step . We could have a new GM and that GM will hire his own coach . Drury likely is the guy next in line....who would be his favorites ? Knoblauch ?

I have no idea why he was let go either, obviously, but my point is that 99.9% of coaches in sports lose their jobs at some point, for various reasons. I don't believe that we as fans can ever fully grasp the exact value of a coach. I doubt GMs know, either.

I'm of the belief, that I've stated many times, that there is little difference between coaches in all of sports. There are some rare exceptions, but one could shoot holes in them, as well.

Certainly, Belichick and Trotz should be considered in the special category because of their respective track records. In baseball, a manager makes absolutely zero difference. That any of them makes a fortune amazes me. Eventually, I wouldn't be surprised if a computer ran a baseball team.

In all sports, player personnel is infinitely more important than a coach. A bad team can't win. No coach can change that. There are rare innovators. Whomever designed the Soviet Union teams of the 70's certainly qualify. They were playing puck possession before the NHL ever thought of it. Those teams changed the way the NHL plays.

I'm not a huge Quinn fan or detractor. All I know is that before this season began, most of us hoped that the signs of future greatness would be on display this season. They are, no matter how much some people complain. Most of the kids are headed in the right direction.

Yet, many of those that claimed that's what they wanted to see this season now are frothing with hatred that the team isn't great, yet. That's idiotic, to me.

Unless a team wins the Cup, there will be a huge group of fans angry that will blame the coach. Some will hate the coach even if the team wins the Cup.

It's a universal, and I suppose I should be used to it, but to me it's just weak thinking.

Not claiming to have any inside info, but the repeating theme here in Vegas was that Gallant had become TOO much of a players coach & that when DeBoer became available the dual GMs felt like his style was more in line with the type of team they were building. I'm not saying I agree, but the team from the first season here did transition pretty quickly over the following year & a half to something completely different when Gallant was let go. A lot of the team speed which lead to that ferocious forecheck was moved out & replaced by higher skill guys who weren't as fast or tenacious.

To be fair, IMO, the team under Gallant became complacent...some reasons you could blame him for, others were out of his control. Basically everyone on the team besides some ELCs a few fourth liners had signed lucrative deals. They started to remind me of a more skilled Dead-Puck era Rangers teams that felt like they could turn it on at will, play hard for 30 minutes & come away with the win. The Knights could actually do that where those Ranger teams were a flop, but VGK brass obviously didn't like the trend.

Fair or unfair to blame on Gallant, Vegas blew that 3-1 series lead to SJ which ended with that awful Game 7 loss with that horrible major penalty. There was a lot of finger pointing that Gallant should've called a time-out after the 2nd PP goal was scored...& he probably regrets the fact that he didn't.

The front office's decision to hire PDB has been a mixed bag. Watching them day in/day out, I don't see enough improvement to say they're more of a contender than with Gallant. PDB likes his lines to cycle & all the offense at even strength or the PP is run through his Dmen from the point. It failed miserably in the Edmonton playoffs & it's been a problem again this year with teams like the Wild who have figured out to clog the middle of the zone & just keep blocking point shots. Vegas constantly goes through scoring droughts, while their PP is putrid.

I don't see them getting out of the division. Minnesota is their likely first round opponent & gives them fits. If they win that series, I think the Avs take them in the 2nd round pretty easily. I guess we'll all have to stay tuned.

Reactions: leetch99

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Ok, name 5 GMs who are better and have not made questionable moves.

I'd go with Yzerman, Poile and MAYBE Sakic over Gorton if his draft record wasn't so poor
Yzerman, Poile, Sakic, Cheveldayoff, Armstrong, Waddell, and Sweeney (yes Gorton helped) are my first tier.

BriseBois, Lamoriello, Rutherford, and MacLellan are also guys who are held in high regard, and you can make the argument that they’re objectively better than Gorton.

Gorton, Bowman, and McCrimmon are about even I would say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad