Post-Game Talk: Islanders defeat RANGERS 3-2 (OT)

3 Stars

• Artemi Panarin

• Mika Zibanejad

• Pavel Buchnevich

• Vitali Kravtsov

• Chris Kreider

• Igor Shesterkin

• Adam Fox

• Alexis Lafreniere

• Kaapo Kakko

• K’Andre Miller

• Colin Blackwell

• Brendan Smith

• Filip Chytil

• Kevin Rooney

• Brett Howden

• Ryan Lindgren

• Ryan Strome

• Jacob Trouba

• Libor Hajek

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Losing Lee hurt.

Yes it did, just like us losing Shesty, Panarin, Chytil, Kakko, and Trouba for extended periods. The Isles are a solid team with a good coach. It won't be enough though. They struggled against us in 4 of the 6 periods we just played. They won't get past the second round. I just hope they keep trading away high draft picks in order to go for it now. They are making the same mistakes we made when we thought we had a shot at a cup with our previous core. They traded away last years 1st and 2nd in a great draft and this years 1st. Keep it up Lou.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Yes it did, just like us losing Shesty, Panarin, Chytil, Kakko, and Trouba for extended periods. The Isles are a solid team with a good coach. It won't be enough though. They struggled against us in 4 of the 6 periods we just played. They won't get past the second round. I just hope they keep trading away high draft picks in order to go for it now. They are making the same mistakes we made when we thought we had a shot at a cup with our previous core. They traded away last years 1st and 2nd in a great draft and this years 1st. Keep it up Lou.

We went to the finals one year and the following year went to Game 7 of the ECF. It 100% was not a mistake to go for it then and it's not a mistake for the Islander to now.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
do you have a better explanation? Howden literally does nothing

I'll assume there's a far better and more realistic reason. Turning it into a homosexual thing is something I always think we're past as a society in America, but recent American history always brings me back to reality.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
We went to the finals one year and the following year went to Game 7 of the ECF. It 100% was not a mistake to go for it then and it's not a mistake for the Islander to now.

I get your point but we didn't win it. I never thought we had the team to win the cup aside from stellar goaltending. The Isles will be lucky to get out of the east.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

The difference is that Lee is out, now, and the Isles are headed towards the playoffs.

The Rangers swept Carolina during the last regular season, I believe. Playoffs don't always match regular season and every single season there are enormous upsets in the playoffs.

Two years ago, I bet St.L to win it when they were out of a playoff spot.

Didn't make a bet last season. This season I bet Carolina after about 10 games. They were 20-1. Not sure what they are, now.

My weirdest bet was in 1994. I bet $30 on Vancouver before the season. Then I watched them play the Rangers for the Cup. I rooted 100% for the Rangers because experiencing that was far more rewarding than $1500 and I could have used the money, then.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
They're elite defensively and the amount of obstruction they'll be allowed to get away with will be even higher when the playoffs start. There is no question there and being able to squeak out wins is a good quality to have in the playoffs.

But they really are untalented. They're a Barzal injury or cold streak away from being completely f***ed. If the success of your team really hinges on one player (well non goalie) you're going to be in for a rough ride in the playoffs unless that player just goes into monster mode.

Works the same for every team. If the Rangers were in the playoffs and Panarin or Fox went down, it would be over.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I get your point but we didn't win it. I never thought we had the team to win the cup aside from stellar goaltending. The Isles will be lucky to get out of the east.

Getting out of the East would be a huge compliment for anyone who does it. Same story every season. It's insanely hard to win 4 playoff series.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
It would have been tough to say they had to win both games against the Islanders, but 3 out of 4 is a good alternative. The young guys are coming along. Kravtsov gave a boost to that top line. His skating has been top notch. You could see it in the KHL games, but you wonder if the speed was because it was a lower league than the NHL. It's not. He can absolutely fly out there. It gives me hope that by 21, Kakko and Lafreniere will have their skating in a much better place.

The Lafreniere-Chytil-Kakko line was their best last night and the best line out there in these two games. Generated chances and showed they can get the job done. Kakko has had his best stretch of play and production as a Ranger. The game is slowing down for Lafreniere. He looks more like the guy that dominated juniors. Chytil has been filling the gaps on that line. Going to the net, winning battles along the boards. Keep that line together the rest of the season.

Miller showed extremely well. His anticipation of that breakout in the 3rd last night was McDonagh flashbacks. Barzal tried to take him wide last night too, and I'm sure Barzal wins that about 90% of the time against defenders. He didn't against Miller. Soon enough, he will be a top pairing guy. The offense will come as will his confidence in his offense.

If it is the young guys leading them down the stretch for a run, it bodes so well going into next season. It feels really good to watch these guys being able to carry the top guys for a few games. Returning the favor from earlier in the year while they were learning the NHL game.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY

It doesn't matter, we were right there. Some puck luck/injury luck and things could have been different. The cycle of how you handle propsects / picks is the same for every team. You sell all your vets, collect picks and prospects, rebuild, become a contender, sell picks and prospects to add and try to get over the hump, rinse, repeat.

And I don't get you're thinking that we were never really a contender. We literally won the East and then were one game away from doing it again. The Rangers were 100% contenders to win it all and absolutely should have traded every pick and prospect necessary over those years to get whatever they needed to make their team as strong as possible.

IMO the only reason we didn't win was because AV misused our players. I think we win one of those two years without him at the helm.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I try not to pile on players unnecessarily. But man, when Howden blew that 3-on-1 at the blueline I just about lost it. Can’t believe how bad that play was.
I was harping on Zib's open net he missed again, thanks for reminding me about this gem. And Sam with the call"3 on 1!!!......broken up!" no it wasn't broken up Sam it was f***ed up. What a joke that play was.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Minor Note:

Could we please edit the score/outcome out of the thread title? Not everyone resides in a timezone that allows them to watch the games live and subsequently have to watch the game after its played (sometimes the next day)... Generally one can still use/view the forum and view select threads without any spoilers before you have a chance to watch the game... I didn't experience the spoiler effect tonight but someone else may... Thanks
I hear what you're saying, but if you're trying to avoid the game score then staying off the team forums is a good start. Not worth the risk. It's not uncommon for ppl to say something about the game in a different thread 'off to play PS5, watch the Mets etc. I'd rather do that then watch the Rangers suck more tonight" or something like that

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
It doesn't matter, we were right there. Some puck luck/injury luck and things could have been different. The cycle of how you handle propsects / picks is the same for every team. You sell all your vets, collect picks and prospects, rebuild, become a contender, sell picks and prospects to add and try to get over the hump, rinse, repeat.

And I don't get you're thinking that we were never really a contender. We literally won the East and then were one game away from doing it again. The Rangers were 100% contenders to win it all and absolutely should have traded every pick and prospect necessary over those years to get whatever they needed to make their team as strong as possible.

IMO the only reason we didn't win was because AV misused our players. I think we win one of those two years without him at the helm.

I always had this feeling during the contending years that we were just not quite good enough to win in all. Whether it be AV's buffoonery or we were just a player short. I feel much better this time around that we will have the necessary pieces and top end talent to contend for the cup in a few years and win it.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm not Quinn's biggest fan, although I don't hate him like many on here. But I don't get the hate for him when the Rangers took 3 of 4 from the best team in the division. They played them hard two games straight. If we split with NJ, criticize all you want, but after these back-to-backs (especially where the kids have shined), I just don't get it.

I mean it was another slow start and I think the majority of those who are irked with Quinn are irked because of the way he handled Kreider at the end of the game.

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You don't have to make up shit. I'm not angry.

You asked me why I watch the games. I told you because I enjoy watching. You don't. You prefer wrestling.

I don't understand why you're even here if you don't enjoy the sport, but that's your business.
lol we had a game last week where you sat there and argued with time on ice because you decided you saw something different while "watching"

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
It's simple. They prefer to bitch and moan instead of enjoying watching the team become what they claimed they wanted.

One guy wrote that it wasn't a good game, even though he didn't watch it, because a bar chart told him it wasn't a good game.

Pretty sure its not JUST one guy. Its very humerous to "evaluate" a game JUST by looking at a chart(s).
Its like reading a book and pretending you were the main character. Not EVERYTHING you see and hear is WRITTEN down, in a book nor a chart.

Win or lose, I have been ENJOYING these games.

Effort (for the most part) IS there,
Entertainment value IS there.
Progression IS happening (albeit, not as fast as some may want.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Matter of fact, Lafreniere actually did play a lot last night at even strength but nobody's talking about it. We talked about it when he didn't somehow.

I guess all the pro scouts in here still don't have ice time down but yeah, I trust your opinions on who carried play.

Reactions: haveandare

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'm fine with this outcome. The Islanders at home, having a 2 goal lead, is generally an impossible comeback.

This team is as bipolar as it gets but these are the losses that i'm OK with looking back. I didn't think the playoffs were realistic anyway

Also Kreider sucks ass.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I'm not Quinn's biggest fan, although I don't hate him like many on here. But I don't get the hate for him when the Rangers took 3 of 4 from the best team in the division. They played them hard two games straight. If we split with NJ, criticize all you want, but after these back-to-backs (especially where the kids have shined), I just don't get it.

That's your opinion. Washington, Pitt, and Boston(when healthy) are every bit as good.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
And it wasn't just this game. Something is still not right with him. He gets a ton of great chances and just can't finish. I would absolutely move him off of PP1 and give one of the kids more time.
Early in the season, everything looked off with him. He's currently playing better, but just can't finish his chances.
The Rangers dominated the Isles for two periods. A goal from you #1C ices this game.
He has been very disappointing.

I still think Mika is a headcase. When things are going well he can't miss when they go poorly he can't do anything right.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I'm fine with this outcome. The Islanders at home, having a 2 goal lead, is generally an impossible comeback.

This team is as bipolar as it gets but these are the losses that i'm OK with looking back. I didn't think the playoffs were realistic anyway

Also Kreider sucks ass.

How I feel pretty much to a tee. I was impressed with the comeback, happy to see the kids driving the bus and getting the minutes that their play dictated (OT notwithstanding). And as an added mystery box, Lafreniere won a couple big draws against Cizikas, so what's going on there.....?????? ;)

Kreider looked a lot better on the fourth line. And I do think that's more proof that Kreider and Zibanejad are just toxic for each other this year. Kreider was playing at an elite level next to Strome. I don't think Zibanejad is only bringing him down, it looks mutual. I don't think Kreider's cooked either.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
If Quinn had lost the locker room at the beginning of the season, players would have gone to management and Quinn would be gone.

.500 teams don't string together really great games.

I don't understand why that's a tough concept to grasp other than that conclusion would make you unhappy.

there are certain things I like that he has done in his tenure. But I’m afraid he’s time is coming to an end shortly. By all means she’d tears for the man if you like or throw a parade if you think he walks on water. Or continue to be a sarcastic Richard. It’s seems it’s what your best at provide to the conversation

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019

Losing Zucc to that McD slap shot to the head that 2nd year was in my opinion the difference maker that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad