Post-Game Talk: Islanders defeat RANGERS 3-2 (OT)

3 Stars

• Artemi Panarin

• Mika Zibanejad

• Pavel Buchnevich

• Vitali Kravtsov

• Chris Kreider

• Igor Shesterkin

• Adam Fox

• Alexis Lafreniere

• Kaapo Kakko

• K’Andre Miller

• Colin Blackwell

• Brendan Smith

• Filip Chytil

• Kevin Rooney

• Brett Howden

• Ryan Lindgren

• Ryan Strome

• Jacob Trouba

• Libor Hajek

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Sad that on a night like tonight even Mollie Walker can’t ask a simple “how do Chytil, Lafreniere and Kravtsov continue to get stapled to the bench with the man advantage and in OT, especially with how they’ve been playing?” Not one writer has the guts to ask. Post games are a waste.

You didn't notice Chytil in OT?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Pretty accurate summation. It's kinda baffling. Why even come here? Almost never engages in any sort of intelligent, honest discussion. Doesn't seem to get anything out of this place. Goes out of his way to pick a fight with everyone he sees. Just weird.

What did you call me?!

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The kids are all starting to find their groove, I honestly don’t know what people are upset about.

They’ve been producing too. Kravtsov/Kakko/Chytil had in points in all of our goals. What happened to only caring about development?

I swear I remember reading just a few weeks ago that certain vocal posters on this thread (and in DQ’s) were saying that they’d be ok with a Rangers loss if the kids played well and showed development. This game was exactly this (literally all of Lafreniere, Kakko, Kravtsov and Miller playing excellent games) and still they bitch and moan and complain.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Quinn has done some good things here he has lost the locker room IMO. He can no longer get the most out of his team. He’s constantly out coached. Kind of like when Torts shelf life runs its course the team is just out there going thru the motions. Hindsight being 20/20 I’d rather have a shitfaced Montgomery behind the bench

How could you say that Quinn lost locker room after THIS game? An example of a coach losing a locker room would be allowing losing 0:2 after first to turn in what we’ve done to Flyers. Instead the Rangers (led by kids whom Quinn is apparently “ruining”) fought back against one of the toughest team to play when they a lead, gained a point and actually had better than even chance to win in regulation.

The Rangers survived a really tough stretch of their schedule in the last couple of week against mostly tough opponents. Now in the next two weeks they need to capitalize on opportunities against lesser teams while Boston’s schedule gets really tough.

Just love watching these Rangers and what Quinn has done!

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Minor Note:

Could we please edit the score/outcome out of the thread title? Not everyone resides in a timezone that allows them to watch the games live and subsequently have to watch the game after its played (sometimes the next day)... Generally one can still use/view the forum and view select threads without any spoilers before you have a chance to watch the game... I didn't experience the spoiler effect tonight but someone else may... Thanks

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
How could you say that Quinn lost locker room after THIS game? An example of a coach losing a locker room would be allowing losing 0:2 after first to turn in what we’ve done to Flyers. Instead the Rangers (led by kids whom Quinn is apparently “ruining”) fought back against one of the toughest team to play when they a lead, gained a point and actually had better than even chance to win in regulation.

The Rangers survived a really tough stretch of their schedule in the last couple of week against mostly tough opponents. Now in the next two weeks they need to capitalize on opportunities against lesser teams while Boston’s schedule gets really tough.

I’m not saying he lost the room after this game. Imo it was at the beginning of the season. This team rarely is able to string 3,4,5 solid games together in a row. I’m not talking about wins, I’m talking about games played with effort and hunger. This team has won a lot of games on superior individual efforts by guys like Fox, panarin, kreieder in his 3 game hot stretch. More often then not they come out unprepared to play. If you think these teams have the same kind of jump as the previous 2 years we just have a difference of opinion I guess. I’m not talking about this particular game, I’m talking about the season as a whole. I think the defense system that Martin has put in place has masked a lot of deficiencies that would make the team look a lot worse. I’m not saying everything he’s done is bad and I don’t hate Quinn but I do think he has run his course with this team. Things that should have been corrected long ago in pre- game planning continue to go unaddressed. I think from night to night you never know what to expect with this group. I’m happy the kids are playing better but I think the overall on ice product would be a lot different if the coach got more out of his players.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I’m not saying he lost the room after this game. Imo it was at the beginning of the season. This team rarely is able to string 3,4,5 solid games together in a row. I’m not talking about wins, I’m talking about games played with effort and hunger. This team has won a lot of games on superior individual efforts by guys like Fox, panarin, kreieder in his 3 game hot stretch. More often then not they come out unprepared to play. If you think these teams have the same kind of jump as the previous 2 years we just have a difference of opinion I guess. I’m not talking about this particular game, I’m talking about the season as a whole. I think the defense system that Martin has put in place has masked a lot of deficiencies that would make the team look a lot worse. I’m not saying everything he’s done is bad and I don’t hate Quinn but I do think he has run his course with this team. Things that should have been corrected long ago in pre- game planning continue to go unaddressed. I think from night to night you never know what to expect with this group. I’m happy the kids are playing better but I think the overall on ice product would be a lot different if the coach got more out of his players.

So he lost some but not everyone? They come unprepared (your opinion how long - 5 min, 10? ) but then become one of the better teams in the 2nd and 3rd periods, is how he lost the team? Or maybe instead you can think about that Quinn is dealing with the youngest team in the league and inconsistencies (over stretch of games, game by game or even within games) is par for the course. And that Quinn message is actually getting through since the Rangers find ways to change a course of game or not allow prolonged game losing stretches.

Thank you for saying that not everything gone bad, I guess.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Really uninspiring play by the Vets since Quinn came back. The kids kept us in this one and got us the point.

Kravstov developing in the KHL was absolutely the right call. He looks like a pro out there.

Also, I know we talk about prospects that might have come up too soon, or should’ve started in the AHL. Howden has to be in this conversation. I have no idea what he does well. We all thought he’d be a solid Third Line center, and he still might be, but I can’t point to anything he does well on a night in, night out basis.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It would an ultimate (don’t even know what word to use) if the developing 3 on 1 PK breakaway Howden screwed up turned into a goal against he couldn’t help to prevent.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I swear I remember reading just a few weeks ago that certain vocal posters on this thread (and in DQ’s) were saying that they’d be ok with a Rangers loss if the kids played well and showed development. This game was exactly this (literally all of Lafreniere, Kakko, Kravtsov and Miller playing excellent games) and still they bitch and moan and complain.

It's simple. They prefer to bitch and moan instead of enjoying watching the team become what they claimed they wanted.

One guy wrote that it wasn't a good game, even though he didn't watch it, because a bar chart told him it wasn't a good game.

Reactions: Larrybiv and FUZfan

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

That poster FEELS that Quinn has lost the locker room.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

If Quinn had lost the locker room at the beginning of the season, players would have gone to management and Quinn would be gone.

.500 teams don't string together really great games.

I don't understand why that's a tough concept to grasp other than that conclusion would make you unhappy.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It's simple. They prefer to bitch and moan instead of enjoying watching the team become what they claimed they wanted.

One guy wrote that it wasn't a good game, even though he didn't watch it, because a bar chart told him it wasn't a good game.

I wrote calling them “f***ing losers” at the end of the post but edited it because I got afraid it will be taken down by mods. Still hope my sentiment gotten through.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Its about time Zib gets called out here. Its always Kreider this and that and now "Where was Panarin". If Zib hits the net with one of his freakin good chances tonight we win. Just brutal. That one shot from in close on the set up from Fox was horrible missed the wide open net by a mile. Sick and tired of everyone using excuses for him. The guy has been a major disappointment except for what 6-7 games when he got all his goals.

And it wasn't just this game. Something is still not right with him. He gets a ton of great chances and just can't finish. I would absolutely move him off of PP1 and give one of the kids more time.
Early in the season, everything looked off with him. He's currently playing better, but just can't finish his chances.
The Rangers dominated the Isles for two periods. A goal from you #1C ices this game.
He has been very disappointing.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
And it wasn't just this game. Something is still not right with him. He gets a ton of great chances and just can't finish. I would absolutely move him off of PP1 and give one of the kids more time.
Early in the season, everything looked off with him. He's currently playing better, but just can't finish his chances.
The Rangers dominated the Isles for two periods. A goal from you #1C ices this game.
He has been very disappointing.

PP1 has been #1 in the NHL for the last three weeks. Try something else (or maybe again later).

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
8 of the next 9 games are against the devils sabres and flyers.

and we’re healthy

5 of the next 9 for the Bruins are against the isles pens and caps.

Their D and goaltending are hurting

you just want them to be interesting down the stretch here. These next 9 sure should be
I think about 15-20 games ago, I had stated that we WILL surpass Philly and catching Boston was a very good possibility.
I wish I could find my post......where I said that Boston was getting old and didnt have the talent to make up for it, and would eventually crumble come crunch time.
What does that equate to? Injuries. Everything YOU said above is true and happening as we are trying to grab every point available. Thing is, they kind of blew one last night. Oh well.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
We all should be happy, instead of whining. Took 3 out of 4, and we are ALL finally getting what we wanted, regardless of outcome. Just a shame, Quinn sometimes doesn't have a clue, then again......"I" won't pretend here, that "I" am a coach, and know better than he.........think about that for a moment, if the shoe fits.

Reactions: leetch99

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
PP1 has been #1 in the NHL for the last three weeks. Try something else (or maybe again later).
Not because of Mika. Are you going to tell me with a straight face that you don't watch in disbelief at how many grade A chances he misses? I like the guy as a player, but he is struggling. Take away those Flyers games and his stats are abysmal given his usage.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Didn't know that, but you might have to be suspended for speaking against the prevailing narrative. The torch-carrying villagers don't tolerate that crap.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
We all should be happy, instead of whining. Took 3 out of 4, and we are ALL finally getting what we wanted, regardless of outcome. Just a shame, Quinn sometimes doesn't have a clue, then again......"I" won't pretend here, that "I" am a coach, and know better than he.........think about that for a moment, if the shoe fits.

Some people can't be happy if it flies in the face of the groupthink.

Reactions: Larrybiv

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

so true.

Now what? Is this a rebuild or building a log jam?

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Why do you suppose he's still out there? Why do you think he was let go?
Still on LV payroll and has not found a club he wants to coach enough to give it up in the midst of a pandemic . He resides on PEI during the pandemic and there have been ZERO deaths and zero hospitalizations ...so take that into consideration and the fact he is still collecting a great paycheck....you might have some reasoning to consider while you speculate on his reluctance to move at this time .

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Quinn probably over coached as he loves to do. Remember before OT started he was having a long conversation with Chytil? Probably put some garbage in his head and Chytil went in overthinking things when he got on the ice. Just let the f***ing kids player their game during the games.
Exactly what I was thinking. Too much thinking for a "kid". Obvious they all have natural talent, but at some point you just have to let them use it, and fly. Too much coaching=too much thinking.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Not because of Mika. Are you going to tell me with a straight face that you don't watch in disbelief at how many grade A chances he misses? I like the guy as a player, but he is struggling. Take away those Flyers games and his stats are abysmal given his usage.

PP is a sum of parts. Minus Covid impact, I take Mika over the last month or so who’s involved in a very high number of high danger chances, no question. Yeah, I shake my head at some of the misses but there’s no way I’m taking him off PP that is working so well. And Zibanejad’s will soon start to convert on the chances again, I promise.

Reactions: Larrybiv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->