Islanders better than most people thought

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I think everyone around the league assumed the NYI would be dog turds because they lost tavares. The reality of the situation is that while JT was obviously a huge part of the team, he was not the only good player they have. It seemed that way because they're a losing org. and tavares was the biggest name. But i'm not shocked at all that so far Barzal is producing as the 1st line center. I'm definitely not shocked at all that Bailey is still producing (he's been the islanders secret best player for a few years now, whatever line he's on, seems to be the best line the NYI have going for them any given night). Lee continuing to score shouldn't be surprising either.

The NYI may not make the playoffs this year, but I'd wager by the end of the year, barring major injuries, they are closer to being a playoff team than a lottery team. There's just too much talent on the club, and they are playing within a smart system for the first time since Ted Nolan was coaching them.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
all jokes aside, i would not be shocked 1 bit if they finish with a better record this year, than they did last year. that's not a knock on tavares mind you.

Last year we did historically bad it's a real bad comparison point. I always said the true test is can they finish better then 2 seasons ago when they missed the playoffs by 1 point

Anybody who didn't think a good coach would make a huge difference with this team obviously didn't watch them enough over the past few years

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Halfway there, friend!

Damn this thread not being a reverse jinx thread.

But in seriousness, I think last night's game was an example of the difference between Trotz and Weight. If Weight was still the coach, the Isles probably get curb stomped. But under Trotz, while the Pens were (IMO) outplaying them early and outshooting them badly, he had the Isles not giving up many odd man rushes and had them counter-attacking to generate their own when the Pens were being overly aggressive.

In other words, Trotz had them weathering the storm and then pouncing on the few chances they got. Weight would have tried to engage the Pens in a run-and-gun track meet with both teams giving up odd man rushes all the time.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I think everyone around the league assumed the NYI would be dog turds because they lost tavares. The reality of the situation is that while JT was obviously a huge part of the team, he was not the only good player they have. It seemed that way because they're a losing org. and tavares was the biggest name.

Realistically there aren't a ton of positives in losing Judas, but if there is one, it would be that it's team first and not JT first like it was during his era. That's why people are surprised Bailey and Lee continue to produce and then that's why we failed because we were trying to get him wingers instead of making the team better.

Reactions: MattMartin

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I hope you knew who Barzal was before you picked him. Hoping for goals and shots suggests you didn't......

Barzal had 170 shots last season. About 2.1 shots per game.

At the time I posted that he had 9 shots in 10 games... on pace for 74 shots total. Less than 1 per game.

All I said was I hope he picked it up. VERY simple.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Realistically there aren't a ton of positives in losing Judas, but if there is one, it would be that it's team first and not JT first like it was during his era. That's why people are surprised Bailey and Lee continue to produce and then that's why we failed because we were trying to get him wingers instead of making the team better.

There is a huge positive in the Islanders losing Tavares. Assuming my theory is correct and that the Islanders knew Tavares was a goner and that is what cost Snow and then Weight their jobs and replacing them with a competent and the most respectable GM/coach duo money can buy.

Tavares with Snow and Weight (aka the same exact disaster team as last year) <<<<<<<<< No Tavares but Lou and Trotz.

The Islanders had to have a good idea Tavares was leaving the second he stepped on the ice for training camp last year without a contract. Franchise players simply don't make it that far. Let alone the trade deadline.

Stamkos being the lone other example and he nearly ended up losing out on that contract with his blood clot.

Last edited:

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009

But in seriousness, I think last night's game was an example of the difference between Trotz and Weight. If Weight was still the coach, the Isles probably get curb stomped. But under Trotz, while the Pens were (IMO) outplaying them early and outshooting them badly, he had the Isles not giving up many odd man rushes and had them counter-attacking to generate their own when the Pens were being overly aggressive.

In other words, Trotz had them weathering the storm and then pouncing on the few chances they got. Weight would have tried to engage the Pens in a run-and-gun track meet with both teams giving up odd man rushes all the time.

I totally agree with you. Last night looked like the Isles pulled a rope-a-dope. Very outplayed early but didn't give many high danger chances,.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
And a silly one.

I think what he means is that the islanders are better than last year, but it is foolish to think we would be worse with JT in addition to Lou/Trotz

It's all tongue and cheek, but I think what he is really saying is its worth it to lose the Snake if it meant getting Lou and Trotz in return. (Or it would be more important for the team to acquire the services of Trotz + Lou than it would have been to retain the services of Judas) I would have to say at this point, I agree. But Tavares + those two would have been nice but not for the $ amount he was possibly asking for.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Trotz said in the post game that was probably the isles worst first period of the year and we left tied 2-2. What a difference coaching can make. Lehner Did keep the game close though in the first 2 periods.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Barzal had 170 shots last season. About 2.1 shots per game.

At the time I posted that he had 9 shots in 10 games... on pace for 74 shots total. Less than 1 per game.

All I said was I hope he picked it up. VERY simple.

Barzal has not been playing great thus far, but he has still managed to be a PPG player thus far. Last night he looked much better. He also started off slow last season, and than took off like a rocket. He's the last player on the team I'm concerned about. It's only a matter of time until he breaks out.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Barzal has not been playing great thus far, but he has still managed to be a PPG player thus far. Last night he looked much better. He also started off slow last season, and than took off like a rocket. He's the last player on the team I'm concerned about. It's only a matter of time until he breaks out.
He is just adjusting to being the top center. He is a bigger target now that JT is gone, I am confident he will improve as the season unfolds

Reactions: WangMustGo

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

Thank you. That's all I was getting at.

Reactions: WangMustGo

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I think everyone around the league assumed the NYI would be dog turds because they lost tavares. The reality of the situation is that while JT was obviously a huge part of the team, he was not the only good player they have. It seemed that way because they're a losing org. and tavares was the biggest name. But i'm not shocked at all that so far Barzal is producing as the 1st line center. I'm definitely not shocked at all that Bailey is still producing (he's been the islanders secret best player for a few years now, whatever line he's on, seems to be the best line the NYI have going for them any given night). Lee continuing to score shouldn't be surprising either.

The NYI may not make the playoffs this year, but I'd wager by the end of the year, barring major injuries, they are closer to being a playoff team than a lottery team. There's just too much talent on the club, and they are playing within a smart system for the first time since Ted Nolan was coaching them.

I agree that they'll probably fall just short of a playoff spot, but as was mentioned before this post Trotz has a TON to do with their success.
It's amazing what proper coaching can do. You can argue this year's team is less talented compared to last years yet Trotz is doing more with less.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Funnily enough, they had the same exact record (6-4-1) at the start of last year too.

Still think they finish somewhere in the bottom 4-5 teams in the EC, the season is long and they don't have enough talent as the rest of the clubs.

Reactions: BerlinBlueShirt

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Is Tavares a poison? he missed the last 5 games of the year a few years ago and the Islanders went 5-0 without him, anyway I attribute it to Trotz, though I am not sure this is a good thing, I do not see this team being any better than a first round exit playoff team and the Islanders really need another a major piece after that guy left, seems like you are only going to get it with a high draft selection and I never root for the team to lose so I don't know.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
The Islanders had to have a good idea Tavares was leaving the second he stepped on the ice for training camp last year without a contract. Franchise players simply don't make it that far. Let alone the trade deadline.

Stamkos being the lone other example and he nearly ended up losing out on that contract with his blood clot.

Sorry but ownership, GM and everyone else thought it was most likely JT was returning to the Islanders. They believed him. He said he wanted to return.

When a player as respected and important and honest about his feelings as JT, the captain of the team, opens up and says what he said, you want to believe him. The owners and GM let their feelings get in the way and JT surprised everyone.

I think in the long run, it will work out with Lou and Trotz at the helm. It is early but already it seems the team addressed a lot of their shortcoming from last season without replacing JT. Fingers crossed this continues and this team make a run at a playoff birth.

Last edited:

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
No, both are gone.

The Islanders 3rd and 4th lines have improved dramatically from last season thus far. It’s only 11 games and I won’t get overally excited, but Filppula, Komarov, Ladd, Cizekas and Matty Martin have all contributed.
Add Kuhnhackl who has only played 4 games and was good last night.

These guys are the difference thus far up front.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Funnily enough, they had the same exact record (6-4-1) at the start of last year too.

Still think they finish somewhere in the bottom 4-5 teams in the EC, the season is long and they don't have enough talent as the rest of the clubs.

Realistically this is probably the case. But the one bright spot will be if they maintain this play and structure they have a great foundation to build on. Something they haven’t had in forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad