Islanders better than most people thought

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I took Matt Barzal high in fantasy. Hope he turns it around. Guy has 9 shots on goal for the ENTIRE SEASON so far. Heavy minus player.
No one cares about your fantasy league. However, Barzal is a PPG this season so he is doing fine for the poolies.

What people care about is the Isles are doing better than most thought, after 10 games. 5-4-1 and in the mix for a wildcard early on in a very competitive conference.

Reactions: Riseonfire

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
They definitely are better than a lot of people expected which is good.

But as alluded to earlier, this team isn’t built to be a cup contender. It’s built to set the framework, work ethic, and system for 2 years down the line.

They need a #1 d-man, a #2 center and preferably one more high-scoring winger

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
No one cares about your fantasy league. However, Barzal is a PPG this season so he is doing fine for the poolies.

What people care about is the Isles are doing better than most thought, after 10 games. 5-4-1 and in the mix for a wildcard early on in a very competitive conference.

I really hope he picks it up.

9 shots on goal.
Heavy minus player.
1 goal.

Ouff, us fantasy guys could really use him to elevate

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
They definitely are better than a lot of people expected which is good.

But as alluded to earlier, this team isn’t built to be a cup contender. It’s built to set the framework, work ethic, and system for 2 years down the line.

They need a #1 d-man, a #2 center and preferably one more high-scoring winger

Agreed with all of this.

Hoping we're sellers at the deadline and Nelson and Eberle are traded. Nelson having a good year would be a textbook definition of playing well to get another contract and then would go back to being a lazy floater. Eberle...I don't think he's going to be worth what he's going to "command".

Reactions: PWJunior

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
This Isles team plays ugly in a refreshing way. Looking for Barzal to explode in the near future. Will it be enough?? Doubt it but anything can happen.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I pointed out in the offseason that this is a very similar roster to the ones that made the playoffs in back-to-back seasons and then missed by 1 point, except with Barzal instead of Tavares, and a future HHOF coach instead of Jack Capuano. They probably won't make the playoffs this season but I expect they'll still hit at least the mid-high 80s for points.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I thought they would be better this year, but still get something like 6th or 7th in the Metro. It's a brutal division, the Rangers took a step back but the Hurricanes took a step forward.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Play the Pens tomorrow. Pittsburgh is banged up so it should be a decent shot to go on the road and make a statement for them.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I’m not surprised. Barzal was the best player on the team in the second half despite some trying to argue it was a fluke. Best rookie season since Malkin. The kid is a star and continues to prove it. And the notion that Bailey and Lee were products of Tavares never rang true to those who actually watched the team.

Agree, Barzal is a stud.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I hope this turns out to be a reverse jinx thread since the Pens are their opponent the next two games. But it will probably have the opposite effect and the Isles will sweep the back to back.

rileymac79

Nov 18, 2009
Winnipeg
I took Matt Barzal high in fantasy. Hope he turns it around. Guy has 9 shots on goal for the ENTIRE SEASON so far. Heavy minus player.
lol gotta laugh at stuff like this... he's gotta turn his "fantasy" season around I guess... but the guys playing well. Just because that fantasy stat line doesn't look great, doesn't mean anything.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007

In default settings +/- and shots on goal are scoring categories. It really was a post only about fantasy. He probably lost those two categories head to head last week LOL

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I really hope he picks it up.

9 shots on goal.
Heavy minus player.
1 goal.

Ouff, us fantasy guys could really use him to elevate

I hope you knew who Barzal was before you picked him. Hoping for goals and shots suggests you didn't......

I hope this turns out to be a reverse jinx thread since the Pens are their opponent the next two games. But it will probably have the opposite effect and the Isles will sweep the back to back.

Halfway there, friend!

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Basically the same as Tavares was during his time with the NYI. As a team that gets scored against alot due to bad D, our player who spends the most time on the ice will suffer for it

That said Barzal definitely needs to work on his defensive game

As far as making the playoffs, I highly doubt it. The isles will hit a brick wall sooner or latter, as is tradition :(

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
lots of people saying that goaltending is the difference, but i would attribute it to team defence (Trotz influence), rather.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Historically bad defense last year, most goals allowed in the league in 30 years. New coach, new system, new goalie. 11 games in, they're 5th in the league in goals against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad