Post-Game Talk: Islanders 3, Penguins 2 (SO) - Greiss Trolls the Penguins

Status
Not open for further replies.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Uh.. Rust and Geno rule together.
I'd disagree. Rust tends to tunnel vision once he has the puck. On the one hand, it's good that he doesn't defer to Geno. On the other hand, when Geno's your center you shouldn't completely ignore him and try to score all the goals yourself. Don't get me wrong, I like Rust. But I don't think he's an ideal line-mate for Malkin or Crosby, for that matter. He can be serviceable there, sure, but I think he's better as an option in the bottom six.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
TFW 2 of the best players on Earth and a Norris potential D-man don't test Greiss at all in the shootout:
Sully.jpg

Last edited:

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I'm not really worried.

The last two games look like a team that should've won games versus where we were at to start the season where we were winning games we should have lost.

Murray looks dialed in.

Letang looks off still.

Props to Sprong for stringing together some good games.

Johnson was terrible on the 2 - 1 goal. Dude is seriously costing us every time he is on the ice. Coaching staff is noticing. Wouldn't be surprised if my absurd prediction of him being a scratch by January actually becomes true. What an absolutely mind numbing contract.
At least the guy, JJ, doesn’t have any trade or movement clauses so in the future he can be dealt with in some manner. And 3.5m is hardly unmovable or eatable in today’s NHL.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
At least the guy, JJ, doesn’t have any trade or movement clauses so in the future he can be dealt with in some manner. And 3.5m is hardly unmovable or eatable in today’s NHL.

I would say send him to Arizona...but...damn if they might be trying to be good again....who wants to take a shitty player on a bad contract for the fun of it?

It is gonna take extra players/assets to get someone to remove JJ from our hands.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
The SO has been a problem since Bylsma era, it's seriously mind boggling. Their attempts look like they are collectively pouting against the concept.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Not a good sign?

You know what they say.. streaking teams lose games they shouldn’t and win games they shouldn’t.

We’ve lost two games in regulation. Two of our OT loss come in a skills competition.

This team has been pretty, pretty, pretty good.
I dont know. Playing well in both games vs the Isles and still losing is pretty bad. At least they stunk up the joint against Montreal but they look flat out stupid just pounding away shots and using jam plays.

They're so net front that they're only net front.

Another thing to note is that Jake is playing his way to a 4.5 contract instead of 6. He's been very average to be playing with Sid.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The Barry Trotz Factor.

Don’t matter the horses. Holtby, Greiss. Ovi, Bailey. Carlson, Cizikas. The man knows how to beat this team.
I thought the Isles had good structure for the most part, and even then we garnered good looks and quality chances. Greiss was the difference. I thought we played pretty well although we didn't exactly crash the net. I've seen us look a lot worse in losses this season.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Grant is just whatever. He's not going to do anything positive or negative for you in any given game. He's just a warm body, he's Nick Spaling 2.0. I don't hate him or anything, but I wouldn't call any game of his "good" unless he actually scored, because he's not doing anything else out there.
I think he forgot to mention the limitations are being slow and ineffectual. :nod:

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Johnson has the same problem Letang last year had: his on ice save% is horrible. Want to know why Johnson has been on the ice for 16 GA this year? Maybe the 85% on ice save% plays a factor, the same way that Letang having an on ice save% of 88.4% last year is why he was on the ice for 87 goals against.

So do you believe his on-ice sv% is random or a product of his play? When Johnson is on the ice at even-strength there is an HDCA every 4.35 minutes compared to the rest of D averaging an HDCA every 5.10 minutes. That would be less of a problem if the team generated an HDCF more frequently while Johnson was on the ice, but they don't (5.95 minutes per HDCF w/ Johnson vs 4.91 minutes for rest of D).

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I want the extra point, but getting angry about shootouts is stupid. Malkin and Sid should be forced to make a move though.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, to act like a player couldn't factor into their on-ice sv% that is pretty... well, I don't know what.

I think it has been proven they have little effect on each other.

That being said there is a big difference between Letang leaking goals at 24 minutes a night and Johnson playing sheltered minutes and being a GAPG. Especially considering how many low scoring games we’ve been in. I think the only games he hasn’t had a GA are the shut outs.

Reactions: EightyOne

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So do you believe his on-ice sv% is random or a product of his play? When Johnson is on the ice at even-strength there is an HDCA every 4.35 minutes compared to the rest of D averaging an HDCA every 5.10 minutes. That would be less of a problem if the team generated an HDCF more frequently while Johnson was on the ice, but they don't (5.95 minutes per HDCF w/ Johnson vs 4.91 minutes for rest of D).

Yeah, it's pretty random. It's the same way with Letang last year, his "bad play" was way exaggerated because his on ice save% was just bad. There are just way too many shots on goal for 1 player to have a dramatic impact on their on ice save%. Even looking at the goals Johnson has been on the ice for, he's been responsible for maybe a quarter of them.

There are way too many factors that come into on ice goals against to ***** and complain about 1 specific player being on the ice for a goal against every single time he's on the ice for a goal against. I'm not talking about if he directly causes a goal, I'm just talking about the people who start screeching anytime he's even on the ice for a goal against. Look at the goal last night, it was a fluke bounce off of someone's skate and people just starting screaming "OH MY GOD JJ SUCKS SO BAD!!". It's just annoying to read at this point, and it's the same people every single time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riptide

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

I've not seen any statistics that firmly correlate on-ice sv% with a specific player, though it makes perfect sense that it would be correlated. As Emp mentioned in his response, there are a lot of factors involved. An individual player's on-ice save% is not a good predictive statistic.

That's why many of the stats guys predicted Letang would have a comeback year.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
To me, it seems like as a whole we are giving up too many shots against and not just the random from the blueline ones either. I just think that asking any goalie to stop of the quality chances the other teams have had is a bit much at times. Murr has made some good saves in the mix of the barrage coming at him.

I still think it's a team defense problem, not a goalie one.

Reactions: Shwag33

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
JJ hasn't been good by any means, but neither have Maatta, Ruhwedel, Schultz, or really Riikola either.

Dumo/Letang/Oleksiak have been good. That's it. I'd be more troubled by JJ's mediocre play were it not for the fact that half our d is playing as bad or worse.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
it wasn't the shootout that lost the game..... it was when the coach put tired players back on the ice instead of starting the 2nd pp unit.

Agree but that's not the only questionable coaching decision in that game that may have cost us a point..it also includes keeping Cullen-Sheahan-Horny together when they were **** and giving players known NOT to be good in the SO, opportunities to shoot...put someone else out there first, like Phil

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
JJ hasn't been good by any means, but neither have Maatta, Ruhwedel, Schultz, or really Riikola either.

Dumo/Letang/Oleksiak have been good. That's it. I'd be more troubled by JJ's mediocre play were it not for the fact that half our d is playing as bad or worse.

This is such a dumb argument. JJ has been by far our worst D. And other people being bad has no impact on that.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
This is such a dumb argument. JJ has been by far our worst D. And other people being bad has no impact on that.

I don't think he's been the worst. Maatta, Ruh, and JJ have all been about the same. Oleksiak has been better offensively, but in the D zone I'd argue he's been just as bad if not worse than the other 3.

He's not been good, but he's not the standout worst D man on the team. The entire D aside from letang and dumo have been pretty bad collectively. Even Shultz didn't look good before he got hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->