Post-Game Talk: Islanders 3, Penguins 1 - Not With a Bang, Not Even a Whimper

Status
Not open for further replies.

William I NEGLE

Mar 30, 2018
I'd split Jake and Sid right now.

I'd try Guentzel with Bjugstad. Get him away from that 4th line.

Noooooooo! Can't ever, ever, split up Sid and Jake.

Anyhow, next two games are home, so we'll see a lot less of Sid and Jake vs. their 4th line, if Sully is so inclined .. as ridiculous as avoiding that match up might have sounded before this series started. Personally, I'd prefer to see Sid and Jake muster the resolve to finally kick their butts and then watch NYI sink like the Titanic.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
Agreed. Phil wasn't nearly as visible, but at least to me, it seemed like his effort was decent. Much more than we can say for much of the season.

Malkin was effectively neutered by having that bum ZAR on his line. This is not a question directed at anyone, more of a retort. What exactly is ZAR's role and what does he do?
Kessel seems invisible if he doesn't score,I think you guys miss a Hagelin or Grabner type

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Lulz. Dude he’s beyond washed up. But glad good ol JR gave him one last shot at glory. Sigh.

You can lolz all you want. But Did Cullen have one of the handful of limited scoring opportunities or not?

And I'll emphasize the word "limited"

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Do people not understand that JR is a brash GM? The dude wheels and deals, and then does so some more if what he just tried doesn’t work. If you haven’t keyed into that yet or haven’t comes to grips with it, I don’t know what to tell you. That’s who he is for better or worse, and do I need to clarify the “better” part? The Brassard thing didn’t work even though it should have. That’s when we stopped pushing all the right buttons personnel wise. Not to mention I’ve been trying to tell people that we’re not a premier team at this stage and no one seems to want to face it. That doesn’t mean I thought they’d lose this series (which they’re still far from), but get with reality ffs.

Anyways, the biggest problems in this series are one save per game from Lehner that were beyond clutch, Sid and Jake being surprisingly quiet, a penalty we absolutely needed to kill and didn’t tonight, and the reality that athletes age and do not perform the same way throughout their entire career. Of course when you’ve worked yourself up into a Cup frenzy in a year like this, you’re bound to be shocked when down 0-2 to a pretty decent team that plays you tough. We’re a very good team most nights, which isn’t in the same stratosphere as being a contender.

Very good, level headed post. Not sure how anyone expected this team to be a true contender. It's not like the Isles are utterly dominating the Pens, but the Pens aren't finding ways to win. And that's what good teams do. Our boys are not.

The Islanders positioning, structure and gap are vastly superior to ours thus far. They're disciplined and are largely taking away the slot where most good chances occur. They've done an exceptional job against the Crosby line. We're not getting good looks in the danger areas, and on the rare occasion we do it's the 4th line getting the chances.

Yep. As much as we went to harp on our boys (and yes, many of them deserve it) the Isles deserve just as much credit.

This team is missing joy and swagger. For the most part the team looks miserable behind the bench.

Was thinking the same thing. And I don't mean that because they're not MAF smiling, it's because many of them look like they are actually miserable.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Noooooooo! Can't ever, ever, split up Sid and Jake.

Anyhow, next two games are home, so we'll see a lot less of Sid and Jake vs. their 4th line, if Sully is so inclined .. as ridiculous as avoiding that match up might have sounded before this series started. Personally, I'd prefer to see Sid and Jake muster the resolve to finally kick their butts and then watch NYI sink like the Titanic.

As true as that may be, I wouldn't let it go much longer. Neither one is shooting the puck. If it doesn't change, I would shift the lineup.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Damn, the defence was a mess even without Olli "Whipping Boy" Maatta, who would have thunk it?

Allowing an odd man rush two minutes after taking the lead is just pathetic. Have the Isles allowed a single odd man rush yet?

I have defended Sully a lot but his endless line changes are killing any chemistry the lines manage to generate.

Kudos to the Isles, they are executing their plan almost flawlessly but if we stop ourselves in the foot so much we still have a chance. As bad we have played, one game went to OT and the other was tied in the third.

Reactions: KIRK

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
As a long time Isles fan who remembers well the 4 Cups, the Pens are running into the same problem that team had. When you play so many tough playoff games over the years it really takes a toll because:

A) you play so many more games
B) your offseason recovery time is shorter
C) late draft picks eventually add up

If you are a 30-year old you might have played 1 1/2 more SEASONS of games in the last 8 years or so

Those Isles teams in the 80's wore down quickly. 3 years after the Cups they couldn't compete.

Awhile back I read a Gretzky quite saying after they lost the cup, he always remembered how massively beat up the Isles were and realized he and the Oilers would have to pay that kind of price if they wanted to be the ones raising the SC.

At least we're not Tampa I guess.

Though I have more faith in their ability to come back than I do ours.

I’m confident they can come back, they just need to smarten up. The Isles aren’t playing some never before seen system the Pens haven’t faced before. The difference is the Isles are sticking to their system and being disciplined, while the Pens don’t want to make the simple plays and stick to the patient style it requires to beat it.

This series is tailor made for Hornqvist, so he’s the one I’m most disappointed in so far. They need him to score a couple dirty goals and drive Lehner nuts.

So far Lehner is having an easy go of it.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
As a long time Isles fan who remembers well the 4 Cups, the Pens are running into the same problem that team had. When you play so many tough playoff games over the years it really takes a toll because:

A) you play so many more games
B) your offseason recovery time is shorter
C) late draft picks eventually add up

If you are a 30-year old you might have played 1 1/2 more SEASONS of games in the last 8 years or so

Those Isles teams in the 80's wore down quickly. 3 years after the Cups they couldn't compete.

I totally agree with you. While I think early 30's isn't old in hockey (they probably have about 3-4 years left before we can start the age talk). I do think you are right, 13 straight years of tough playoff hockey likely have taken a toll mentally. But the grind of the regular season wears em out quicker. They need to retool to give them better support depth wise if they have a chance for 1 more.

I like how your team plays and how its built. If we don't come back, I hope you guys embarrass the caps.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Agreed. Phil wasn't nearly as visible, but at least to me, it seemed like his effort was decent. Much more than we can say for much of the season.

Malkin was effectively neutered by having that bum ZAR on his line. This is not a question directed at anyone, more of a retort. What exactly is ZAR's role and what does he do?

Yeah I think a lot of people have probably mentioned it, but they desperately need McCann to play next game. ZAR anywhere in the top 6 just doesn’t work.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
This series is tailor made for Hornqvist, so he’s the one I’m most disappointed in so far. They need him to score a couple dirty goals and drive Lehner nuts.

I wouldn't say most disappointed but he has been bad. Other than the screen for the goal in this game, his only offensive contribution is two glaring misses in game 1 and he hasn't been good defensively either.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
We out-chanced Montreal that series. Halak just stood on his head.

This time, while Lehner's been good, I don't think he's stole games we should have won. Tonight, for example, I don't know if we even had any sustained pressure where if it weren't for him, we'd have scored 4 or 5 goals.
I’m not saying it is a clone, for reasons you just said, but I do see parallels.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Its been a while since I've seen this poor level of compete from our team in the playoffs. If we don't steal the next one, we are effectively done and I am very confident in saying that.

Someone please bookmark this if I get proven wrong

Reactions: ncm7772

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Run? What run?

Crosby Malkin era. Getting swept by a largely under talented Islanders team who just lost their best player the year before most embarrassing playoff loss in team history. Bruins at least had a good Cup caliber team the year they swept us. Washington will beat the Isles in 4-5 games next round. We suck

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Its been a while since I've seen this poor level of compete from our team in the playoffs. If we don't steal the next one, we are effectively done and I am very confident in saying that.

Someone please bookmark this if I get proven wrong

Done! Although I agree with you and think you're right.

Reactions: pensfan71

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
2012 was way more embarrassing. Oh, and it's still 2-0.

If yesterday was their backs to the wall flip the switch after losing game 1 effort yea, no need to even show up Sunday. Wave the White Flag boys you are embarrassing yourselves

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Crosby Malkin era. Getting swept by a largely under talented Islanders team who just lost their best player the year before most embarrassing playoff loss in team history. Bruins at least had a good Cup caliber team the year they swept us. Washington will beat the Isles in 4-5 games next round. We suck

Even if you are the type of fan who's inclined to think every playoff series loss is the most embarrassing one ever, last year's loss against the Capitals wouldn't even come close to our most embarrassing. I would consider 2015, 2014, and 2013 much more embarrassing, and that's just in the last few years.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad