Post-Game Talk: Islanders 3, Penguins 1 - Not With a Bang, Not Even a Whimper

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
Pens just haven't done well against the Islanders from a historical perspective:

1975 - We lose after being up 3-0. For decades it was one of only 3 times a comeback like that had happened
and it was cited in every professional sport when a team went up 3-0. The 1975 Pens became nothing
more than a stat for three decades.

1993 - Islanders (an 87 point RS team) defeated the best Pens squad ever assembled and one of the best
NHL teams in history. They did it without their star, Pierre Turgeon. David Volek still haunts me to this day.

2013 - Once again, they gave us fits. We won, but it took Orpik's in OT to beat a generic team with the
exception of Tavares.

2019 - After seeing Game 2, I expect a split in Pittsburgh at most and the golf courses after Game 5.

Bottomline, I don't want the Pens to ever meet this franchise again. Move them to the West. They have our
number, own it, play with it like a cat plays with a ball of yarn.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
I'd solve the whole Määttä vs Johnson "conundrum" with Ockhams razor sending both of them to the press box and inserting Riikola. Or Ruhwedel. Or Trotman. Or a traffic cone.

Something which was clear all year.

Reactions: bigkam

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
same thing the team we are playing did to turn their team around. imo

Not a terrible strategy except Tavares ='s Phil and/or Letang and it's gonna be alot tougher rebuilding this D vs the Isles already having what they needed in the pipeline/just letting DeHaan walk.

I suppose the way they played without Dumo and/or Letang for stretches this season gives me SOME hope but Olli, JJ and probably more gots ta go.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I get being glum about being down 0-2 but people are acting like we've been slaughtered. We lost two close games. And we didn't even play terribly well in either.

What does that say about the Isles? I doubt they can play much better.
if you watch the game, and don't look at the score. the games are not close, and we have been terribly out played.

Reactions: Andy99

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Just goes to show you how bad the Islanders are. We are playing our worst hockey of the season, which is saying a lot, and they still barely win. Getting swept by a team with such little talent as NYI will be the most embarrassing feat of the Penguins run.
Run? What run?

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
If McCann doesn't return a sweep is a very real possibility. Jake and Sid have shown nothing to convince me that they can turn this around soon and they were the only forwards that got us into the post-season.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
It’s an easy excuse to say these guys have lost a step, but Crosby had his first 100 point season in five years and was playing some of the best hockey of his career this season as well. Letang was also having a Norris season until his injury, but that’s been the story of his career so...

Malkin is the only guy who has looked slower and struggled this season. The same thing is happening to TB, but we can’t use an excuse like 30! for Hedman, Point, Kuch and Stamkos.

Boston did the whole layers thing to them in ‘13 and it was mostly the same result. Detroit also stifled them in a similar manner, but systematically it was a little different.

The Pens finally solved Detroit because they got it through their thick heads you have to dump the puck and get to work almost every shift.

Sometimes guys finally get it... like going down 2-0 agt Det in 09.... other times they don’t like agt Boston in 13. It’s never been a big secret how you have to beat layers hockey, but it’s lots and lots of hard work, patience, and not much fun.

Unfortunately the guy who looks done is Hornqvist and he’s the exact kind of guy they need in a series like this... he really needs to show up soon.
for some reason...they are either physically incapable or just not motivated enough to go like that...they would do in spurs ten minutes at times...but by and large they are half step behind...Nailed it...Thats why I kept saying that Horny is shelf of his oldself...he can't get to the puck, he does not separate guys from the pucks anymore...he does not work as F1 anymore cause he slowed down...he can't get to the puck infront of the net...there were plenty of rebounds left infront especially on PP...

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Indeed, and the team that spends more time in the offensive zone usually has an edge in the PP department, which the Isles definitely did tonight. Pens want more PPs? Work your ass off and force the Isles to take them.
when you spend most of your time watching the other team skate by you, and allways beating you to the puck. you tend to take penalty's.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'd split Jake and Sid right now.

I'd try Guentzel with Bjugstad. Get him away from that 4th line.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Crosby leads the NHL in playoff points per game since 2007.
Yeah - and lest we not forgot the dude had a 100 point season and plays a 200 ft game.

He’s just in a slump at a bad time, not generating much in the past several games aside from the last 2 were he was able to get to the big 1-0-0.

Malkin on the other hand, a horrific year for him. But he does have 3 pts in this series, lol...

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

bigkam

Jun 13, 2009
We have more defensemen than forwards with points in this series. No team is going to win when that happens, especially this one. We haven’t scored a single, dirty playoff goal in the series. The Isles have several. We need to get pucks deep, go to work, and crash the net. It’s going to take a simple game to win.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah - and lest we not forgot the dude had a 100 point season and plays a 200 ft game.

He’s just in a slump at a bad time, not generating much in the past several games aside from the last 2 were he was able to get to the big 1-0-0.

Malkin on the other hand, a horrific year for him. But he does have 3 pts in this series, lol...

3 points and he's playing a game like he did when him and Jimmy Neal were trying to out-stupid each other.

Reactions: Rossi Rat

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
And the more I think about it, the more I think Riikola would be the guy I'd play with Schultz. With how Riikola plays, I think his game meshes perfectly with Schultz.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
If Malkin needs a guy like McCann to be playing at the level he should be playing at, that's pretty damming on Malkin's abilities at this point.
no. you have been spoiled by watching some of the best players in the world (and in their prime) and think that it should always be that way.

Reactions: treeni12

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
And the more I think about it, the more I think Riikola would be the guy I'd play with Schultz. With how Riikola plays, I think his game meshes perfectly with Schultz.

I mean, i don't think it'd look terrible.
I wasn't impressed with Riiko's play down in Wilkes tho but could he potentially be better than Olli/JJ....yep, sure.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Pens just haven't done well against the Islanders from a historical perspective:
The one time the Isles lost, they managed to embarrass and bounce the Penguins franchise goalie for the rest of the playoffs. The 2013 team had the best win percentage in franchise history and the Isles chased the goalie in 4 games.

This must be how Caps fans feel.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
... i'd bump Bluegs or Johnson up.
... Need speed not brawn.
they do need an infusion of speed, and while his offense isn't the greatest I think Johnson could help. maybe even in the top six. not ideal, but it could work if he could play on his off wing.
jake, sid, and aj
mac, geno, and aj
aj, just by getting to the pucks first, playing dee, and forcing the other team to respect his speed could help immensely.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
So far the penguins have 3 forwards with points and 4 defensemen with points through 2 games. yuck.

Also, could it really happen? Could the penguins get swept and Sidney be held pointless?
I mean it did happen before:
2013 NHL Eastern Conference Finals: BOS vs. PIT | Hockey-Reference.com

Outscored 12-2 the entire series. But given a multitude of factors (Bylsma’s general presence, the fact they made all those trades, the fact they had terrible exit after terrible exit in the playoffs leading up to that and had been a solid 4 seasons removed from just the one cup)... that was the most frustrating postseason with this core. The level of annoyance I have now compared to then is nowhere close

Anyway, not quite burying this team until they lose at home. If they can hold serve at home, they’ll have 2 cracks at beating NYI on the Isle.

But when you frame it like “the Pens have to win 4 of the next 5”... that sounds tough, given what we just witnessed. And it’s not like this team has been any better on home ice - relatively even home/road record, I believe.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Sad times man. Oh well what the hell are you going to do. We're definitely in the early stages of the decline years with this team.

How rapidly they fall is the only question.

As a long time Isles fan who remembers well the 4 Cups, the Pens are running into the same problem that team had. When you play so many tough playoff games over the years it really takes a toll because:

A) you play so many more games
B) your offseason recovery time is shorter
C) late draft picks eventually add up

If you are a 30-year old you might have played 1 1/2 more SEASONS of games in the last 8 years or so

Those Isles teams in the 80's wore down quickly. 3 years after the Cups they couldn't compete.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
The one time the Isles lost, they managed to embarrass and bounce the Penguins franchise goalie for the rest of the playoffs. The 2013 team had the best win percentage in franchise history and the Isles chased the goalie in 4 games.

This must be how Caps fans feel.

A peewee team could have chased Fleury that series.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I'm not sure how good Phil looked tonight either. Not like game 1. But, if McCann isn't back, there's no choice really. And if McCann is back, then the smart thing might be McCann-Geno-Phil.

Agreed. Phil wasn't nearly as visible, but at least to me, it seemed like his effort was decent. Much more than we can say for much of the season.

Malkin was effectively neutered by having that bum ZAR on his line. This is not a question directed at anyone, more of a retort. What exactly is ZAR's role and what does he do?

Reactions: KIRK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad