Islanders 2018/19 Prospect Rankings - #4

Who is the Islanders #4 Prospect?

• Iskhakov, Ruslan - F (2018: 43rd OVR)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skarek, Jakub - G (2018: 72nd OVR)

• Vande Sompel, Mitchell - D (2015: 82nd OVR)

• Wilde, Bode - D (2018: 41st OVR)

• Wotherspoon, Parker - D (2015: 112nd OVR)

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Ho-Sang
Add Salo... again

Just out of curiosity, why Salo? He took a few steps back last season. He played in the worst team in Finland, had awful stats. They even loaned him out to Mestis (tier 2 in Finland), where he also had awful stats.

Reactions: SI

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Just out of curiosity, why Salo? He took a few steps back last season. He played in the worst team in Finland, had awful stats. They even loaned him out to Mestis (tier 2 in Finland), where he also had awful stats.
let us hope that we get better luck with Lehner when it comes to the name Robin

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Sometimes players games are better suited for the NHL than AHL. I think that's the case for Ho-Sang. I think it's good that he's been able to be down there and perform, but his game is much better suited for the NHL.

and sometimes players pout when they are sent down. Thompson didn't say much about JHS, other than "he's just a baby" (context being that he is young). i will give you the fact that JHS has had junk to play with in the AHL. this season will tell a lot about him.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I guess it's just hope. I guess I had a soft spot for him for some reason. Heard he did fairly well in prospect camp from people on this board so I thought maybe he stepped up.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Close for me between Bellows and Ho-Sang, you can make a case against either but going with Bellows as I feel Ho-Sang might just be his own worst enemy. Hope I'm wrong though.

Add Rathgeb, max ELC and I think he's a sneaky pick to make the Islanders pretty soon.
It's tight, I went with Bellows and almost regret it.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I have him ranked in the #5-7 range in the prospect pool.

Honestly - 3,4,5,6 are all very close between Ho-Sang, Bellows, Toews, and Sorokin - Ho-Sang and Toews should be 3 and 4 - they both will have an impact at NHl level in the upcoming season

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
How many does Bellows score next season at Bridgeport? Over/under 20?

I'm going to say under for two main reasons. BPT has only had 22 20+ goal scorers in the last ten seasons. That's essentially two per season, and the roster has been significantly bolstered this past offseason, so Bellows may not see a lot of minutes.

I think Bellows has the ability to score 20+ (remember Nelson scored 20+ in his D+3 season), I'm just not sure if he'll have the opportunity to do it.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Honestly - 3,4,5,6 are all very close between Ho-Sang, Bellows, Toews, and Sorokin - Ho-Sang and Toews should be 3 and 4 - they both will have an impact at NHl level in the upcoming season

I have Sebastian Aho in there as well which is why I said I have Bellows in the #5-7 range.

He had the highest PPG out of all U21 D who played 40+ games in the AHL last season. He needs to work on his positioning in his own end and get stronger (which isn't abnormal for a young defenseman), but he's phenomenal in the offensive zone. Shades of Visnovsky.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Becausssssse, he also speaks Finlands svenska!:)

This is what I heard:
He was given an automatic Top 4 role on a Liiga team that many experts there felt was more akin to a Mestis team and shouldn't have been playing in Liiga with that outfit. Sport Vasa was expected to be last place right from the beginning. Unsurprisingly, the team was the worst and then relegated.

The Mestis games he then played in were not a demotion, but rather, the Liiga season was over and he was sent down to help out with the partner squad in Mestis for a few games.

This said, the guy's stats were not good. Maybe they weren't terrible in light of the situation (43 gms, 0-5-5 and -11), but just weren't good by any means. A -2 in two Mestis games doesn't rock the boat either.

Then again, he still made the WJC squad (in a minor role) and had 1-15-16 in 54 Liiga games in his draft year.

For me, I can say that I watched (and interviewed) him live at the Ivan Hlinka a few years back and he had ALL the tools. He was all over the ice and very present in all three zones. He made smart plays. He made simple plays. He liked throwing guys around. He was very heady in his zone with and without the puck. He knew when to take a few steps or when best to move the biscuit ASAP.

I know that all doesn't have to mean too much now, but I'm sold on the kid as far as the package and his overall game is concerned. However, he hasn't gotten much taller since that Ivan Hlinka and that was what, 2015? He was pretty much exactly my height and I'm 5'11.

One way or another, this upcoming season will be telling. He's scheduled to remain in Liiga and play with SaiPa, which is clearly a better team that what he played for last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad