Islanders 1999 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningFast

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I was looking at an old 1999 THN draft preview and It just came to me, how in the hell did the Islanders do to screw up that bad that year. They had 4 first rounders!!! Three in the top 10!!!!

Those four prospects were obviously Tim Connolly, Taylor Pyatt, Branislav Mezei and Kristian Kudroc .

Should we give up hope that these 4 guys will never be more than busts?

What do you see as the potential of these 4 guys and were do you see them in 5 years?

Personnaly, this is what I think...

T. Connolly (out of the league or at best 2nd liner on a very weak team)
T. Pyatt (Still have hope for him, so i will say a 20/20 man on a new team)
K. Kudroc (Depht defenseman or back in Russia)
B. Mezei (5/6 Defenseman but far from what was expected from him)

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Islanders could have had Havlat, Jackman, Comrie, and Nick Boynton then!

But my Canucks could have had Martin Havlat AND Nick Boynton :(

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
LightningFast said:
I was looking at an old 1999 THN draft preview and It just came to me, how in the hell did the Islanders do to screw up that bad that year. They had 4 first rounders!!! Three in the top 10!!!!

What's most unfortunate is that the 99 draft sucked mightily.

How did they **** up? I think in part, because they loaded in firsties the wrong draft year, unfortunately.

LightningFast said:
Those four prospects were obviously Tim Connolly, Taylor Pyatt, Branislav Mezei and Kristian Kudroc .

Should we give up hope that these 4 guys will never be more than busts?

What do you see as the potential of these 4 guys and were do you see them in 5 years?

Personnaly, this is what I think...

T. Connolly (out of the league or at best 2nd liner on a very weak team)
T. Pyatt (Still have hope for him, so i will say a 20/20 man on a new team)
K. Kudroc (Depht defenseman or back in Russia)
B. Mezei (5/6 Defenseman but far from what was expected from him)

Well, these players still have a little bit of time left.

If you look at Connolly's career so far, he is one of the most productive in his year's class so far in the NHL. His numbers are similar to the Sedins.

His problem was lack of development and then he got sidelines with one nasty concussion. Milbury could hardly predict that. Overall, considering may were actually hyping players like Beech and Shvidki, it looks like Milbury made a decent choice there.

The Pyatt selection is cool. Obviously, people who hyped him as having Porsche-like skating should be shot dead, preferably after being tortured but that's beside the point. He's still a big, strong, mobile forward with decent skillset. At his rank, the selection made sense. Those kind of kids take their time, so no worries there but it doesn't look like he'll be an impact player.

Pretty much everyone was surprised by the Mezei selection. A bit early. He was a gamble and all about projection.

Kudroc later is much the same.

The trend here:

Connolly was a relatively small player with superb skillset. Risky player.
Pyatt was more of the potential power forward mold. Difficult to assess.
The two mammoths on defense were classic huge guys and Milbury had struck gold with Chara previously. Risky players.

All in all, he went for risk, thinking the odds were 2-3 of these players might make it.

Unfortunately, much like guys like Woodlief and Dudley, much of Milbury's behavior indicates he thinks all you have to do is draft talent to make it happen. There's much more to it.

David Conte is not half the scout he is proclaimed to be. The players just happen to be well-schooled which makes a huge difference in NJ. They make good decisions on their youngsters, where they need to be and how to bring them up. That's the key to replenishing your talent pool.

Some of the Isles players were rushed, in an unstable, losing environment. Some of them also experienced bad luck. I believe Kudroc has also had concussion problems, which is not something Milbury could have predicted easily.

Sure, everybody is kicking themselves for not discoveriung Havlat but that's just the way it is. Most of the players who have now "passed" the early draftees did so thanks to development.

Lots of players drafted that year are still in limbo. It just doesn't look like a good draft period. Milbury was part unlucky, part clueless as to what to do with these youngsters once he selected them.

I think the strategy of pick high risk players when you have several picks is not bad. But it didn't work that time.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's unfortunate that Mezei missed almost half of last season after taking a slapshot to the face, or I think more people would be realizing that he's developing into a very good defensive defender, is a regular on the Panthers' blueline, and looks like he's on his way to more than justifying his #10 overall position. Especially when you look at some of the stiffs (Shvidki, Rita, Kelman) who went in the next 5 or so picks.

It should also be noted that although Connolly, Pyatt, and Mezei might not have had the impact anticipated, of the 6 players taken between picks 5 and 10 they are the best three guys, and are light-years ahead of Finley, Beech, and Lundmark. So looking at the relevant guys for the picks (there probably wouldn't have been a team in the league who would have taken Havlat top-10 at the time, so it's extremely unfair to blame the Isles for not doing so in hindsite) they took the guys who turned out the best. So I'm not really sure what the point or this thread is. The problem isn't the Isles' scouting, the problem is that the top end of the '99 draft ended up being very weak, and they couldn't really have done much better.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
i think those 4 picks can still be solid NHL'ers

i still see good potential in Mezei and Kudroc.. i think those guys will really come around in their late 20's and early 30's... especially kudroc... i like kudroc.. but they all still have to continue developing

connolly has had injury problems

and both him and pyatt have consistency problems...

Love Machine

Jan 1, 2003
Computer
Visit site
Senator Stanley said:
Just out of curiosity, what did the old THN profile say about Havlat?
I have the paper, and it states Havlet as a wild card player. He was ranked 20th, behind Barrett Heisten at 19th, and Michel Sivek at 17th. They issued a questionable work ethic and consistency. It also says that he doesn't always bust his tail, and that he oftens just floats around. It talks about how he has to get stronger, but what prospect doesn't? It compliments his offensive ability, ranking him ahead of Sivek in that department :joker: He was ranked 3rd in Euro prospects behind the Sedin's. Hope this is a help.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
Love Machine said:
I have the paper, and it states Havlet as a wild card player. He was ranked 20th, behind Barrett Heisten at 19th, and Michel Sivek at 17th. They issued a questionable work ethic and consistency. It also says that he doesn't always bust his tail, and that he oftens just floats around. It talks about how he has to get stronger, but what prospect doesn't? It compliments his offensive ability, ranking him ahead of Sivek in that department :joker: He was ranked 3rd in Euro prospects behind the Sedin's. Hope this is a help.

thats actually a good assessment on Havlat

although he is the most gifted of the 99 prospects thus far, you can still lay all those faults on havlat...

he still needs to get stronger and perhaps play with more energy and enthusiasm.. but other than that his progress has been amazing offensively.. i wonder what coach murray will do to make him into a more complete player? that would be scary.. we saw bits of that happening in hossa last year as he got stronger

Love Machine

Jan 1, 2003
Computer
Visit site
chriss_co said:
do you happen to have reads on other players? i am extremely curious what they had to say about Iggy..
I have the draft previews for 1999, 2000, 2002, and 2004. The others were thrown away in a spring cleaning. I had the 1995 issue too which had quite a write-up about Iggy, but I can't remember what is had to say.

KH1

Connolly was a victim of concussions and playing as a first line at the age of 19. Pyatt could still give you 40 or 50 points. Mezei and Kudroc...can you say Boris Valabik at the #10 overall? These guys were just monsters who Milbury couldn't pass on with weakness on the blueline.

It worked out well enough for the Islanders though, as Connolly and Pyatt turned into Michael Peca.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Vlad The Impaler said:
What's most unfortunate is that the 99 draft sucked mightily.

How did they **** up? I think in part, because they loaded in firsties the wrong draft year, unfortunately.

Well, these players still have a little bit of time left.

If you look at Connolly's career so far, he is one of the most productive in his year's class so far in the NHL. His numbers are similar to the Sedins.

His problem was lack of development and then he got sidelines with one nasty concussion. Milbury could hardly predict that. Overall, considering may were actually hyping players like Beech and Shvidki, it looks like Milbury made a decent choice there.

The Pyatt selection is cool. Obviously, people who hyped him as having Porsche-like skating should be shot dead, preferably after being tortured but that's beside the point. He's still a big, strong, mobile forward with decent skillset. At his rank, the selection made sense. Those kind of kids take their time, so no worries there but it doesn't look like he'll be an impact player.

Pretty much everyone was surprised by the Mezei selection. A bit early. He was a gamble and all about projection.

Kudroc later is much the same.

The trend here:

Connolly was a relatively small player with superb skillset. Risky player.
Pyatt was more of the potential power forward mold. Difficult to assess.
The two mammoths on defense were classic huge guys and Milbury had struck gold with Chara previously. Risky players.

All in all, he went for risk, thinking the odds were 2-3 of these players might make it.

Unfortunately, much like guys like Woodlief and Dudley, much of Milbury's behavior indicates he thinks all you have to do is draft talent to make it happen. There's much more to it.

David Conte is not half the scout he is proclaimed to be. The players just happen to be well-schooled which makes a huge difference in NJ. They make good decisions on their youngsters, where they need to be and how to bring them up. That's the key to replenishing your talent pool.

Some of the Isles players were rushed, in an unstable, losing environment. Some of them also experienced bad luck. I believe Kudroc has also had concussion problems, which is not something Milbury could have predicted easily.

Sure, everybody is kicking themselves for not discoveriung Havlat but that's just the way it is. Most of the players who have now "passed" the early draftees did so thanks to development.

Lots of players drafted that year are still in limbo. It just doesn't look like a good draft period. Milbury was part unlucky, part clueless as to what to do with these youngsters once he selected them.

I think the strategy of pick high risk players when you have several picks is not bad. But it didn't work that time.
Nope, Conte is more then people give him credit for. Maybe the prospects are easily well schooled because Conte picks the players that wants to learn. You look at the recent picks that he has made. Zajac, he is a hard hard worker that inproved leaps and bounds this year. Parise, is allways improving and looking to get beter, try to find someone to outwork him. Vrana, an extremely hard working player for the Mooseheads.
You don't get this many hits in an organization without a mastermind behind the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad