Islander History...

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Wasn't sure where to put this, but it needs to be put somewhere...

Why not have a dedicated area for us long-time die-hards to discuss the little that we can still remember...And where new fans can learn about the legendary times that seem, and are, so long ago (but hopefully again soon).

Smitty!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
There is an alumni thread, I think these two can be combined. On my phone right now so I'll merge them later unless there is an objection.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here

Why not have a dedicated area for us long-time die-hards to discuss the little that we can still remember...And where new fans can learn about the legendary times that seem, and are, so long ago (but hopefully again soon).

Smitty was great. He hated practice and if a guy shot high on him he'd chase him around the practice rink swinging his stick.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Ah yes. “Two can play at that game so I got on my back and I squirmed.” Gotta love Billy Smith.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I remember this like it was yesterday. Man that was hockey back then. It was a man's game back then. Isles last cup they pulled out all the tricks. You knew it was just a matter of time before it was the Oilers turn. But that Isles dynasty, has come full circle with what is happening now with the Isles. TEAM>>>player

Reactions: mm11

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I remember this like it was yesterday. Man that was hockey back then. It was a man's game back then. Isles last cup they pulled out all the tricks. You knew it was just a matter of time before it was the Oilers turn. But that Isles dynasty, has come full circle with what is happening now with the Isles. TEAM>>>player

What is it now?

Agree -- when you look at the Oiler roster -- its like an All Star team ----

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Ah yes. “Two can play at that game so I got on my back and I squirmed.” Gotta love Billy Smith.
Know who else was squirming? John Ziegler, the NHL Commissioner standing right next to Smitty as he was saying he intentionally flopped because "two can play at that game". That's what truly makes the interview the greatest ever. :laugh:

Reactions: MarsTBOW and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Know who else was squirming? John Ziegler, the NHL Commissioner standing right next to Smitty as he was saying he intentionally flopped because "two can play at that game". That's what truly makes the interview the greatest ever. :laugh:
Absolutely. John Ziegler was cringing and Smitty knew it. The first thing he said when he took the trophy was there’s a lot of people rolling over in their beds. :laugh:

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

some very strong points about the team from "Smitty"

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
some very strong points about the team from "Smitty"
I loved him as a goalie, he was a winner. And he really had a knack of getting in the Oilers heads. What a competitor. Has a fight on youtube against Lanny Mcdonald. I remember that one like it happened yesterday. Btw Lanny was my favourite player when I was a young tyke.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Missed this by a few days, 41 years ago, Bill Torrey made this trade that would fill the missing piece to Isles winning the Stanley Cup. A #2C. Many probably were not old enough to recall this. But it was one of the best TDL deals of all time.

March 10: Goring traded to Islanders

THIS DATE IN HISTORY: March 10

1980: In what it still the gold standard for deals made prior to the NHL Trade Deadline, the New York Islanders acquire 29-year-old center Butch Goring from the Los Angeles Kings for forward Billy Harris and defenseman Dave Lewis.

After being upset by the New York Rangers in the 1979 Stanley Cup Semifinals, the Islanders play inconsistent hockey for the first five months of the 1979-80 season. That changes after the Islanders acquire Goring, who's played his entire NHL career with the Kings and isn't expecting to be traded.

"My initial reaction was one of anger and disappointment," he says three decades later. "I got here and I realized I was going to an awfully good hockey club. That made it a lot easier to handle. This was a team that had a chance to win a Stanley Cup. Once I was able to get the emotions out of it, I realized it was a tremendous opportunity."

With Goring filling the role of No. 2 center, the Islanders are 8-0 with four ties in their final 12 regular-season games, then go on to win the first of their four consecutive Stanley Cup championships.

March 10: Goring traded to Islanders

islesnyc

Jul 5, 2012
I mean, no mention of the pint? Imagine if a Conn Smythe winner did that today? It would break the internet. Especially for a franchise just getting over having a robot for a captain. Loved Smitty. Only player I remember that would bring a post game Budweiser onto the ice. My beer league doesn’t even tolerate that!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad