New York Islanders: Isaiah George signs ELC

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
This was a sure thing to happen by next summer.

Not so sure what the benefit is to use up a contract slot at this point, especially on a guy who is not only in one of the top-producing developmental environments on the planet, but clearly needs to rebound from a trying 22-23 season?

I mean, for guys like Odelius and Liukas, having that ELC means you can "demand" they come over for whatever camps even though their pro teams are in full pre- (and now regular) season swing. That ELC gives you legal priority over any teams they're loaned out to.

Nonetheless, it is interesting to pick up on what some fans at no less than Twitter (uh, X) have to say about George.

They seem to espout a form of enthusiasm that clearly indicates they followed him little through his struggles last season.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Knew it was going to happen one way or another, but excited to get this kid on the books. Really hoping for a breakout season from him.

As is the Londoner way, this would be the season for him to arrive on the scene in a big way.

With personnel like Bonk, Edward, and super prospects Dickinson and Brustewiezsiczeiewicz, it'll be a big test of what he'd actually got in order to rack up top 3 minutes.

Sure hope he doesn't leave this NYI camp with an injury again like last year.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I'm glad he's signed but I thought he had a rough season in 22-23
He had a rough start with the injury he got at rookie camp, and was never able to fully recover it felt. Either way, he was one of my favorite prospects in his draft year. If he doesn't dominate offensively this year, I still think he has a hell of a career defensively.

Reactions: Glory Days

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
This was a sure thing to happen by next summer.

Not so sure what the benefit is to use up a contract slot at this point, especially on a guy who is not only in one of the top-producing developmental environments on the planet, but clearly needs to rebound from a trying 22-23 season?

I mean, for guys like Odelius and Liukas, having that ELC means you can "demand" they come over for whatever camps even though their pro teams are in full pre- (and now regular) season swing. That ELC gives you legal priority over any teams they're loaned out to.

Nonetheless, it is interesting to pick on what some fans at no less than Twitter (uh, X) have to say about George.

They seem to espout a form of enthusiasm that clearly indicates they followed him little through his struggles last season.

Is this a move by Lou to get these prospects in the AHL and therefore the isles system? It is tough for me to defend moves like this until we see some prospects actually come up and play well. Seems odd to waste a contract spot on a player who aside from this prospect camp looked like he needed more seasoning. I am surprised when I see a vet like Lou do things like this. Unless George is really that much further along or the organization knows something do not about last season.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Is this a move by Lou to get these prospects in the AHL and therefore the isles system?

I'm not 100% certain (but almost), but I don't think George can play in BPort due to the NHL's agreement with the CHL. He's under 20 and only has two OHL seasons under his belt. He hasn't come close to playing the amount of games that would otherwise free him up for AHL eligibility. So, for this season, it's either the NHL or the OHL.

Even if they somehow could, why remove him from arguably one of the top 3 developmental spots in the CHL when they already have 9 viable Dmen bodies in BPort?

As a sidenote, George is eligible for the WJC.

The European kids are a different story. You can sign, bring 'em over, and plug em in the AHL right away, already at 18. They did that with Holmstrom. What many may not know or have picked up on though, is that the home clubs (perhaps via the respective federations) for such players are given a compensation fee in the process. It's fairly considerate too, which means it can go a VERY long way in funding their junior programs while aiding the pro clubs to "afford" older pro players who then fill the job spot their drafted kid would have perhaps otherwise occupied.

It is tough for me to defend moves like this until we see some prospects actually come up and play well. Seems odd to waste a contract spot on a player who aside from this prospect camp looked like he needed more seasoning. I am surprised when I see a vet like Lou do things like this. Unless George is really that much further along or the organization knows something do not about last season.

There must be some benefit from the managerial side of things. I can't say what it is, but all around the league we see guys signing ELCs although they're often years removed from being an NHL topic.

I just haven't figured out what that benefit is.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Don’t the CHL entry level deals ‘slide’ while the prospect is playing in juniors and therefore not count against the 50 contract limit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad