Player Discussion Isac Lundestrom

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Etem was one of the guys we were looking at with number 12, we had his nameplate on our jersey. Madden definitely doesn’t give a **** where his draftees are from.

And Kerdiles was tracking really well until all the injuries started piling up after he turned pro. Point per game both seasons in the NCAA with a really good sophomore year.

Reactions: Paul4587

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I hope Kerdille's is the last of 'drafting local southern california guys'. It didn't work out with Etem or Kerdilles. I kinda wonder if Ownership gently encouraged them to draft California kids available that weren't a complete reach in the draft.

Don't know where this comes from but Etem was rated very high:

https://thehockeywriters.com/hockey-spy-2010-nhl-entry-draft-preview/
2010 NHL Draft: RT Ranks the Best Prospects
2010 NHL Mock Draft | 2010 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

SoCal origin had nothing to do with it.

Btw https://thehockeywriters.com/the-hockey-spy’s-2010-nhl-entry-draft-preview-–-emerson-etem/

What the hell went wrong?

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Poor hands and an inability to carry the puck happened. Combined with the poor vision.

Hands and vision. 2 most important attributes of a forward to me. And EE has neither

Reactions: Paul4587

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Poor hands and an inability to carry the puck happened. Combined with the poor vision.

Hands and vision. 2 most important attributes of a forward to me. And EE has neither

Yep. He had speed and size which got him a little bit of early success but once the league adjusted to what he was he didn’t have the hockey sense to learn how to contribute in other ways and he never had elite hands or a great shot.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
So what makes so many scouts (not just the Ducks) so high on a guy like Etem, who in hindsight didn't have what was needed to make it? It's not like there was an injury or obvious red flag(s) that scouts ignored. I'd be curious to hear scouts do a post mortem on him or any similar guy that was rated high and failed. That would be a good article for the Athletic.

Reactions: Masch78
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
So what makes so many scouts (not just the Ducks) so high on a guy like Etem, who in hindsight didn't have what was needed to make it? It's not like there was an injury or obvious red flag(s) that scouts ignored. I'd be curious to hear scouts do a post mortem on him or any similar guy that was rated high and failed. That would be a good article for the Athletic.
Only maybe a couple players have what is needed to make it when they're drafted. Players have to be developed, their potential unlocked. That's basically everyone except the top one or two guys usually, plus the occasional surprise lower pick. It's not some inevitable but invisible thing, like "this guy definitely didn't have what it takes and we missed it." None of them have what it takes, that's a given.

The fact that he didn't have what it took was baked in to his draft ranking and ultimately where he was selected. The post mortem for him, or anyone who busts, is always the same. The things that were holding him back from being an nhl player at 18 never went away.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Wish Lundestrom would score more goals.
Yeah it`s weird. He looked to have so much offensive smarts in the preseason and then it all almost like went away. It`s clear he will be able to play in the NHL as a 4th liner, but he needs to show more in order to be taken seriously for a top6 role.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Koffein

Mar 20, 2009
Oslo
If Murray leaves him in Sweden next season (or send him back after 9 games), is his ELC still eligible for a slide year despite having burnt the first year?
He could definitely use another year in Europe to focus on his offensive skills, and would have saved us a protection slot in the expansion draft.

Reactions: Kalv
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Yeah it`s weird. He looked to have so much offensive smarts in the preseason and then it all almost like went away. It`s clear he will be able to play in the NHL as a 4th liner, but he needs to show more in order to be taken seriously for a top6 role.
It's weird to respond to a clip in which a player shows offensive smarts by wondering where his offensive smarts went.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It's weird to respond to a clip in which a player shows offensive smarts by wondering where his offensive smarts went.
Glad he`s showing more recently. But he was very silent up until a few weeks ago. I hope this is not just a hot streak and he can maintain the pace over a full season.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Glad he`s showing more recently. But he was very silent up until a few weeks ago. I hope this is not just a hot streak and he can maintain the pace over a full season.
I think AHL would let him play more offensive zone shifts, the SHL might use him too much defensively

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
How awesome would it be if he became a Silfverberg-type player in the sense that he puts up ok numbers in the regular season while being good defensively then becomes a monster in the playoffs? Can't ever have too many of those.
Playmakers aren't usually that streaky.

Reactions: 405Exit

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Is Lundestroms ceiling a second line center? Or a pivot that can play all three forward positions?
I personally feel if he can further develop his playmaking and scoring he has the physical tools to be a low end 1c. I'd like to see him spend time in the AHL where he is the man and work on his confidence and creativity. His skating and puck possession skills are good enough to be a 1c.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He definitely has 1C tools. The shot is there, he just needs to be more willing to shoot and he definitely has the vision, puck skills and skating ability required. His defensive instincts as an 18 year old in the NHL were world class.

If he can keep developing the offensive side of his game I don’t think the Bergeron/Zetterberg comparisons are that far fetched. It’s a ceiling he’s unlikely to hit but it’s still a possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad