Is Zetterberg a Hall of Fame player?

LV Knight Life

Apr 10, 2019
No doubt he should get in after factoring in playoffs and international play. Guy was a warrior, who battled injuries his last three, four years, which took a toll on his stats. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see a fully healthy Zetterberg that long, but an amazing two-way player.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
As somebody else said one of the best out of the hall or one of the worst in it(except pathetic inductions).

Fringer.

(If a player like Bergeron, who only won his individual hardware cause he is canadian, is anywhere close to the hall Zetts is a shoe in)

Are you trolling?

Seriously Bergeron has been a top 2 way player for years much like Zetts was and both have had HHOF worthy careers.

Quit playing the Canadian card its foolish.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Lock, maybe not first ballot

Conn Smythe
Captain of an O6 team
Triple gold club member (and basically being Sweden's best player in 2006).

Also, his 1998-2000 draft classes are pretty weak. He and the Sedins are in a class of their own from the 99 class, with Ryan Miller being the only other player of note.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I love Z and his career with the Wings. Aside from his great play on the ice, the magic he had with Datsyuk, helping lead the charge for the '08 Cup, I will always appreciate the way he carried himself off the ice, represented the organization and so capably handled the captaincy after Lidstrom retired.

Having said all of that, he is not a Hall of Fame player based on his NHL career alone. Maybe his international accomplishments puts him over the top but I just feel he's 1 additional major win/trophy away from getting in.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I love Z and his career with the Wings. Aside from his great play on the ice, the magic he had with Datsyuk, helping lead the charge for the '08 Cup, I will always appreciate the way he carried himself off the ice, represented the organization and so capably handled the captaincy after Lidstrom retired.

Having said all of that, he is not a Hall of Fame player based on his NHL career alone. Maybe his international accomplishments puts him over the top but I just feel he's 1 additional major win/trophy away from getting in.

So despite the fact that he's a cup winner, conn smythe winner, best on best olympic tournament winner, world championship winner, one of the best defensive forwards of his era, being top 100 all time in scoring in the league, top 5 all time in scoring for an original 6 franchise.. you think he's a major award/win away from entering the hall?

And no less, he did all this with chronic back pains.

He's in. Even excluding his international accomplishments.

Reactions: Slimmy and Vesperia

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
So despite the fact that he's a cup winner, conn smythe winner, best on best olympic tournament winner, world championship winner, one of the best defensive forwards of his era, being top 100 all time in scoring in the league, top 5 all time in scoring for an original 6 franchise.. you think he's a major award/win away from entering the hall?

And no less, he did all this with chronic back pains.

He's in. Even excluding his international accomplishments.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
If some incarnation of the Hall of Fame selection committee feels he should be a hall of famer, he'll be a hall of famer.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
If Zetterberg and Bergeron changed names the former would have atleast 4 Selke's and the latter zero.

Not even sure I wan't Zetterberg in the HOF but he is a superior player compared to a "shoe in" like Bergeron.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Playoff numbers put him in. I also think his regular season stats will be looked at differently because of the system he played. Detroit doesn't typically allow highlight scoring but doesn't mean he wasn't a top player at the height especially in the playoffs.
So Datsyuk was breaking the rules all those years?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
So Datsyuk was breaking the rules all those years?

Not getting this comment.

Zetterberg's career points per game is 0.88
Datsyuk's career points per game is 0.96

Datsyuk's peak seasons were a little bit better than Zetterberg's, but it's not like Datsyuk was vastly outscoring Zetterberg on the regular.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
I completely forgot to factor in his international play. A Gold & Silver at the Olympics is definitely a boost as well his Gold and Silver at the World Championships, as much of a joke as they are to some people is still worth something.

I'd say first 5 ballots.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Yes. Obviously a huge part of the DRW team that won the Cup, a leader even with Lidstrom as C, and defined that organization post-Yzerman.

Not to mention how important he was to Swedish hockey.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I mean most people here think that Bergeron is a first ballot slam dunk and he is a clear tier below someone like Zetterberg.

I think Bergeron / Toews is on a tier with Mike Peca, and Rod'Brind Amour.
I just don't think Selke guys should be getting into the Hall, without significant offensive output.

In my mind, if Bergeron gets into the Hall, Brind-Amour who was also a Selke winning forward, who put up 97 points, and has 1184 career points should be in too.

And Brind'Amour is firmly entrenched in the 'Hall of Very Good'.
If Brind Amour gets in, that opens up an avalanche of other 'Pretty good' players who should also get in.

Zetterberg will at least have 1000 points to hang his hat on. I personally don't think he belongs either, but given the current state of inductees, it's a matter of time before he's in.
Same with Bergeron, Toews, and Kopitar.

Which means we have to revisit Brind'Amour, Elias, and Hossa getting in.

Which means players of that calibre will all get revisited:
Larmer, Tkachuk, Weight, Propp, Roenick, Nicholls, Damphousse.

An avalanche of 'pretty good' players.

Last edited:

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
Best player in the league in back to back playoffs, 13-14-27 in 22 games and then 11-13-24 in 23 games while shutting down top lines... It was insane to watch. 6 year prime prorated at 35G 51A and 86P as a shut down guy. 960 points, again, as a shut down guy!

...Not sure what more you want. Quite the high bar set.

Reactions: Realgud

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
I think Bergeron / Toews is on a tier with Mike Peca, and Rod'Brind Amour.
I just don't think Selke guys should be getting into the Hall, without significant offensive output.

In my mind, if Bergeron gets into the Hall, Brind-Amour who was also a Selke winning forward, who put up 97 points, and has 1184 career points should be in too.

And Brind'Amour is firmly entrenched in the 'Hall of Very Good'.
If Brind Amour gets in, that opens up an avalanche of other 'Pretty good' players who should also get in.

Zetterberg will at least have 1000 points to hang his hat on. I personally don't think he belongs either, but given the current state of inductees, it's a matter of time before he's in.
Same with Bergeron, Toews, and Kopitar.

Which means we have to revisit Brind'Amour, Elias, and Hossa getting in.

Which means players of that calibre will all get revisited:
Larmer, Tkachuk, Weight, Propp, Roenick, Nicholls, Damphousse.

An avalanche of 'pretty good' players.

I agree, that said I think you can make a good case for that Zetterberg peaked highest of all the players you mention, I would however also peg him for the hall of very good(albeit wit the caveat that I believe his peak is HOF worthy, just didn't maintain it long enough).

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Best player in the league in back to back playoffs, 13-14-27 in 22 games and then 11-13-24 in 23 games while shutting down top lines... It was insane to watch. 6 year prime prorated at 35G 51A and 86P as a shut down guy. 960 points, again, as a shut down guy!

...Not sure what more you want. Quite the high bar set.

This guy gets it.

Reactions: MLSE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad