Is YouTube Done? (MOD Warning - See post #193)

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Times change, and all it takes is not forecasting one popular development in your market accurately that drives enough of your customers away to fade into the limelight.

IBM once dominated the personal computer market...a market they've now exited. The term "IBM-clone" to describe computers compatible with software designed for IBM computers hasn't been used in 25 years.

Netscape used to be the leading web browser...they're also gone now after losing to Internet Explorer, which itself is now part of a competitive market with Google and Firefox and some other lesser browsers.

Blackberry invented the personal digital assistant, basically the hand-held computer. Apple invented the SmartPhone and swatted them out of any major share of the market like a fly (being sued over patent infringement on their device didn't help, but by the time they moved past that the public had moved past them).

Yahoo! used to be the leading search engine and news portal...they've just been sold after a couple years of negotiating and some embarassing failures in security, not to mention letting their product stagnate. Google rose up and stole their search engine market out of virtually nowhere. I still have a MyYahoo page, but I no longer use it for news, since their newsfeeds don't update very often anymore, and the news there is highly biased and doesn't give me much information on what's happening in the world.

MySpace used to be THE go-to to go to for social media, but they didn't innovate fast enough and faced stiff competition from newcomer Facebook, which kept developing new features users wanted. Now they basically exist as a way for bands that haven't kept up with technology to make their music accessible to potential fans, but those bands usually have Facebook pages now and don't update the old MySpace sites anymore.

You don't keep up, you fall to the wayside, and in this industry it tends to happen big. Maybe you still use Facebook and YouTube 10 years from now, or maybe they miss the boat at some point and become fading memories like so many others. You can't predict it, but don't say it's unimaginable...it's VERY imaginable.

I would make the case that your examples are companies or products that got in at the start or even innovated/created their specific industry. They're gone or minimalized now because the competition came in and someone else won.

I think it's much harder to imagine any of the big players losing now, at least unless/until it's replaced by a different technology. As things are now though, Facebook, Youtube, and now Twitter are integrated into nearly everything on the internet. They've also seamlessly transitioned from desktop PC to mobile, which could have been a big hurdle. So I really don't think you're going to get a competitor that does basically the same thing, like say vimeo, come in and knock youtube off the top and into obscurity. Especially when they're owned by Google.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, each of those things listed were either temporary fads or were in a duopoly death-match with some other equal company and lost.

Not similar to companies that have had an outright monopoly for decades now (Google and Youtube) and have far more power to bully anyone who even begins to get in its way.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Who's acting entitled? If you make a living by creating YouTube videos than you are a professional entertainer.

I don't like PewDiePie at all. I don't think his videos are funny and I have no idea why he's been so successful. That said, he's as popular as ever from what I can tell. The "controversy" has made him even more well known than he was before.

Professional entertainer and youtube shouldn't be in the same sentence. They are shameless self promoters, not some actor at the theatre or something similar .

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Yeah I don't think I consume enough YouTube content to really be affected.

I can see how people in their teens and younger would be upset about changes to YouTube though seeing as that seems to be the only thing they watch nowadays.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Professional entertainer and youtube shouldn't be in the same sentence. They are shameless self promoters, not some actor at the theatre or something similar .

I once heard someone on Youtube argue that people need to get over the fact that guys like Jon Stewart and David Letterman were the old guard and now they're the new equivalent. :help:

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
That's kind of smug.

Not every successful person on YouTube is a PewDiePie, Phil Defranco, Jenna Marbles type.

There's thousands upon thousands of people that make a living off YouTube or use the platform as a significant part of their career. Some are very talented.

It's not always about performance entertainment. There's news type shows, review shows ect. There's well produced material on the platform. Some of it better than what you get on TV.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I once heard someone on Youtube argue that people need to get over the fact that guys like Jon Stewart and David Letterman were the old guard and now they're the new equivalent. :help:

They try to call themselves "new media." It is such a sad form of self-importance from a lot of people in the Youtube sector.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
There's thousands upon thousands of people that make a living off YouTube or use the platform as a significant part of their career. Some are very talented.

It's not always about performance entertainment. There's news type shows, review shows ect. There's well produced material on the platform. Some of it better than what you get on TV.

This is how I feel about all the YT content creator bashing in here as well tbh.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think it can potentially get there in the future-- where you eventually get to a point where you have genuine standout talent on Youtube comparable to television greats, but I find it grossly premature and obnoxious how a certain segment of laid-back, manic ADD, bedroom click-bait hacks think they're part of some comparable next wave of talent.

The platform is still in its awkward growing pains teenager stage, IMO. The best content still tends to come from actual professionals in the real world who are now putting their stuff on Youtube, rather than exclusive Youtubers coming out of nowhere, I find.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
there's quite a few movies from the 70's & 80's that are still up on youtube.
they haven't taken them down yet.so it must be okay with them.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
You admit to not reading it, then make the outright claim that they took clips out of context and painted their own picture of the facts. I mean, how can you possibly know the coverage was misleading without knowing what the coverage was?

Define "hit job." There is a difference between disagreeing with the journalism in a piece and accusing them of "going after" someone based on some specific issue.

Because I watched a video describing what was said and shown in the article. I already said that. What I saw was they took clips completely out of context and inferred that it's because Pewdiepie is a bigot. Chopping up out of context mini clips of videos to defame someone is a hit job. Not an opinion I disagree with. Whether or not Pewdiepie is a bigot behind closed doors really doesn't matter all that much to me. But the evidence provided in favor of that claim is flimsy. But it still cause an uproar.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Because I watched a video describing what was said and shown in the article. I already said that. What I saw was they took clips completely out of context and inferred that it's because Pewdiepie is a bigot. Chopping up out of context mini clips of videos to defame someone is a hit job. Not an opinion I disagree with. Whether or not Pewdiepie is a bigot behind closed doors really doesn't matter all that much to me. But the evidence provided in favor of that claim is flimsy. But it still cause an uproar.

Did/does Pewdiepie make jokes that are/were antisemitic in nature?

Describing someone using jokes in that fashion is not a hit job. Not to mention you are asserting an active effort was made to defame someone without any kind of motivation as to why. Are you with PDP in that they are afraid of the "new media" or something?

Hit job and defamation have specific implications. And considering a site like The Daily Stormer backed him and called him "their guy", do you think it is hard for someone to get the wrong idea?

Pewdiepie's shtick involves him not thinking about the consequences of his actions. These posts and "jokes" he made were idiotic and were reported on, which caused him to lose out on revenue. Even with the context (which is what, hardeehar jokes and memes?), I don't see how that makes those kinds of jokes completely acceptable.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
I think Youtube will be fine. I really miss the old layout though.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Did/does Pewdiepie make jokes that are/were antisemitic in nature?

Describing someone using jokes in that fashion is not a hit job. Not to mention you are asserting an active effort was made to defame someone without any kind of motivation as to why. Are you with PDP in that they are afraid of the "new media" or something?

Hit job and defamation have specific implications. And considering a site like The Daily Stormer backed him and called him "their guy", do you think it is hard for someone to get the wrong idea?

Pewdiepie's shtick involves him not thinking about the consequences of his actions. These posts and "jokes" he made were idiotic and were reported on, which caused him to lose out on revenue. Even with the context (which is what, hardeehar jokes and memes?), I don't see how that makes those kinds of jokes completely acceptable.

I didn't say those kinds of jokes are acceptable. I just don't think that equates to a channel/entertainer being a bigot or a spewer of hate speech.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I didn't say those kinds of jokes are acceptable. I just don't think that equates to a channel/entertainer being a bigot or a spewer of hate speech.

I don't think The Wall Street Journal's reporting asserted as such.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
I would make the case that your examples are companies or products that got in at the start or even innovated/created their specific industry. They're gone or minimalized now because the competition came in and someone else won.

I think it's much harder to imagine any of the big players losing now, at least unless/until it's replaced by a different technology. As things are now though, Facebook, Youtube, and now Twitter are integrated into nearly everything on the internet. They've also seamlessly transitioned from desktop PC to mobile, which could have been a big hurdle. So I really don't think you're going to get a competitor that does basically the same thing, like say vimeo, come in and knock youtube off the top and into obscurity. Especially when they're owned by Google.
You're stuck thinking the internet itself is the end all to end all. At some point it will be replaced by something better, far more advanced, and that will open doors that will doom any established company if it fails to recognize the need to walk through them.

Look at Sears - 20 years ago the largest retailer in the world, been around for 150 years and seemed unstoppable...yet for the last 10-15 years it's been teetering on the edge of bankruptcy and doesn't seem to have any long term answers. They've sold off the brands that powered them to the top, Kenmore and Craftsman, and they're shuttering stores. First Wal-Mart ate into their market share with a more efficient business model, then the market changed, and they failed to innovate. Amazon was the first into the new-look market, the innovator, and they're still on top with no visible ceiling (yet). It may take 150 years for Amazon to die off, but it can happen just as easily even though it seems impossible for that to happen to you now.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
YouTube is a monopoly, like Google and Amazon. Well I mean I guess you could say you have other options to watch things like Netflix, hulu and what not but think about what youscrew does. Some dude can play video games and ramble off thoughts. Outside of on your Facebook live video where else can people do that?

My problem with you$crew is they demonitize the content that doesn't fit the narrative. Nor everyone uploads for the money and all of that but they hit news organizations that don't fit the narrative. Which infringes on free speech and what the site was really created upon. They probably aren't in trouble because they are a monopoly of sorts but one doesn't need them to survive either. There are other ways to get content or watch things. This all comes down to the masses. Are those conservative/libertarian types going to boycott the site? We now live in a society where they hate different thoughts and the algiorhythm is set up to what they want you to see and some things aren't even in it. Which isn't fair to that username. The whole idea of You$crew is you get to watch what you want, not what a guy like Eric Schmitt wants you to see.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I don't get the hate of PewDiePie or guys like Paul Joseph Watson or Mark Dice. They aren't hurting me. They have an audience, if they didn't they'd have disappeared by now. If their viewers are happy who cares? They have a right and that's why You$crew exists.

Times do change and its not hard to see Facebook or it go by the wayside, as mentioned above everything has. We had instant messaging. Then we had MyDpace and Xanga. Now you have Facebook, twitter and instagram. All different in their own way but the same idea. Doesn't really matter though, like Google they are just all CIA data mining dumps, so will be whatever comes next. Maybe we will see a citizen revolt on technology if the truth about it ever comes out. I can see why people like technology but I also can see why others loathe it. It is evil and too powerful. It has its good purposes like keeping up with people in your life but it also has its costs like infringing on your privacy.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
YouTube is a monopoly, like Google and Amazon. Well I mean I guess you could say you have other options to watch things like Netflix, hulu and what not but think about what youscrew does. Some dude can play video games and ramble off thoughts. Outside of on your Facebook live video where else can people do that?

Twitch.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't get the hate of PewDiePie or guys like Paul Joseph Watson or Mark Dice. They aren't hurting me. They have an audience, if they didn't they'd have disappeared by now. If their viewers are happy who cares? They have a right and that's why You$crew exists.

Times do change and its not hard to see Facebook or it go by the wayside, as mentioned above everything has. We had instant messaging. Then we had MyDpace and Xanga. Now you have Facebook, twitter and instagram. All different in their own way but the same idea. Doesn't really matter though, like Google they are just all CIA data mining dumps, so will be whatever comes next. Maybe we will see a citizen revolt on technology if the truth about it ever comes out. I can see why people like technology but I also can see why others loathe it. It is evil and too powerful. It has its good purposes like keeping up with people in your life but it also has its costs like infringing on your privacy.
Don't understand this line of reasoning. The fact that they have a right and an audience that appreciates what they do isn't an argument for why they shouldn't be disliked. People hate them because they present themselves like morons.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
People hate with them because they either disagree with them or don't like their style. I honestly don't watch very much original content on YouTube, so whatever.

These days technology changes so fast that something at some point could be a YouTube killer. We don't know if/when such a thing would happen, but I'm sure it will happen eventually. Will people still be using YouTube 20 years from now? Who knows? Personally, I'd love if social media died a quick and painful death. Our society is worse off with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad