Is YouTube Done? (MOD Warning - See post #193)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Much like Facebook, I doubt it will ever die. There isn't any competition that comes close to topping them and they are the go to video site, "You Tube Famous" is a normal phrase these days.

I enjoyed it more when there was less ads but what can you do.

Everything dies sooner or later on line. I remember how my space was the end all to be all. Where is it now? TO a point Facebook and YouTube replaced it

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I just realized that the kids today probably don't remember Youtube from back in 2006 or 2007 lol.

The website became popular before vlogs and whatever other crap gets monetized these days. They'd be earning a profit on cat videos and music vids alone.

and without commercials.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I just realized that the kids today probably don't remember Youtube from back in 2006 or 2007 lol.

The website became popular before vlogs and whatever other crap gets monetized these days. They'd be earning a profit on cat videos and music vids alone.

Indeed, and that seems to be where the divide is in this thread. I carry nothing for independent content creators and couldnt care less if they are being hurt by whatever policy Youtube has enacted.

I use Youtube for the same reasons I did in 2006; movie trailers, music, etc.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Of course it isn't done. There are plenty of content creators who were smart enough to go the patreon route from the start and haven't been affected by it at all. The rest will adapt or quit youtube and be replaced by people who will either make more ad friendly content or use patreon.

If you enjoy the type of content people make that isn't ad friendly you can choose to support those people in some way or don't. When I see people like Jim Sterling making 10k+ a month off patreon and having 0 ads I think it's safe to say anyone with a semi-decent number of views/subs can do the same.

Some of the people complaining are just pissed cause they were making millions and now they're making hundreds of thousands. Yes, I realize some were only making barely a living and now making nothing, time to either adapt or get a job. At the end of the day these people can adapt and frankly should be happy to be making 6 figures still doing a job they apparently love doing. I'm shocked two people actually voted Yes.

I'm also shocked some people actually think Facebook or Youtube will die out due to anecdotes such as myspace or webcrawler/etc going downhill. The days of things like that dying out are much more rare IMO. Myspace was popular in the days where less people had internet and plenty of people were still on dialup. The internet has evolved so much each decade and I don't see people switching off of facebook or youtube for a really long time, maybe not even ever. Smartphones alone will see YT/FB live on for easily twice the span it already has IMO.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
Everything dies sooner or later on line. I remember how my space was the end all to be all. Where is it now? TO a point Facebook and YouTube replaced it

MySpace was only at the top for a couple of years before it was abandoned for Facebook, which was similar enough to MySpace but considered better (something I did not agree with myself, but was eventually forced to make a FB account).

YouTube has existed since CRT TVs we still in use and so far, no other video site has come to close to them as far as the sheer amount of content available, let alone one that's​ available on devices like Roku.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
MySpace was only at the top for a couple of years before it was abandoned for Facebook, which was similar enough to MySpace but considered better (something I did not agree with myself, but was eventually forced to make a FB account).

YouTube has existed since CRT TVs we still in use and so far, no other video site has come to close to them as far as the sheer amount of content available, let alone one that's​ available on devices like Roku.

Yes I'd say the more accurate assessment of something that happens with this sort of technology is someone figures some new idea, a bunch of competitors pop up, and one of them wins out to be the defacto standard to stick around while the rest fade away, or at most survive on tiny market shares.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
the people that complain about youtube and other things are the 1% that are so fully of ****. what about those winners that are "cancelling" their netflix account because a few shows got the axe... seriously its like an automatic dumbass chip in their brains that think threatening to quit will do something. it wont and they wont cancel. good ol social media....

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
The problem with YT is it gives voice to the riff raff of society to make their own channels. These people are needy lazy morons. It is offensive to click on a video and then some dope starts rattling on and you realize it's "content" not a clip. These people are pathetic and need to labeled and advertised accurately.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
The problem with YT is it gives voice to the riff raff of society to make their own channels. These people are needy lazy morons. It is offensive to click on a video and then some dope starts rattling on and you realize it's "content" not a clip. These people are pathetic and need to labeled and advertised accurately.

I love when some folks on YT talk about how hard doing vids are and that it takes them 20-30hrs of work to do 1 video, but yet their production and editing clearly would take any competent person 2hrs at most including the 10 mins of filming they did :laugh:

I tend to agree with you, there's a lot of entitled little ***** on there that think they deserve money for making poor quality content, meanwhile even people that actually do take 20-30hrs to produce one video (or longer) and have way higher production quality, who are also making nothing, do not complain.

I'm quitting YT cause my ****** vlogs that any moron could make aren't making money anymore :laugh: Make better content and more people will watch your videos and sign up to your patreon, plain and simple imo.

Sep 19, 2008
Pewdiepie is an intolerant prejudiced individual anyway. We need less obnoxious people like him streaming commentary on YouTube.

"But it was just a JOKE you guys!!!"

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Pewdiepie is an intolerant prejudiced individual anyway. We need less obnoxious people like him streaming commentary on YouTube.

"But it was just a JOKE you guys!!!"

Not that I care about what happens to Pewdiepie's bottom line, nor do I find him funny but you're buying pretty heavy into the Wall Street Journal's smear campaign against him.

Exploiting the stupidity of a site's concept by paying someone 5 bucks to be non violently racist on camera is satire. It's not very funny but it doesn't make him prejudiced.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Not that I care about what happens to Pewdiepie's bottom line, nor do I find him funny but you're buying pretty heavy into the Wall Street Journal's smear campaign against him.

Exploiting the stupidity of a site's concept by paying someone 5 bucks to be non violently racist on camera is satire. It's not very funny but it doesn't make him prejudiced.

That is one of the dumbest attempts at satire in the history of ever.

"Did you know poor people will do something crazy for money, whooaaaa mind bloownn!!"

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That is one of the dumbest attempts at satire in the history of ever.

"Did you know poor people will do something crazy for money, whooaaaa mind bloownn!!"

I didn't say it was an excellent attempt at satire. I just don't think it's proof of being a bigot. Everyone knows that the phrase in question has potential to offend. The guy was trying to see if he could get people to be offensive for a sparse amount of money and it worked. He's not the first comedian (if he can really be called such) to say or do offensive things on purpose for the sake of a laugh. There's a difference between a stupid attempt at satire and actively spewing hate. GFOP's post implies that all of his videos are hate speech or something and it needs to be stopped.

I don't think he's funny. I don't think the event in question was funny. But I also don't like the WSJ going balls out trying to smear him as some bigoted anti-semite for something like that. But I'm generally against and annoyed with news media being used as a device for political or character hit jobs.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
the problem MANY have with him banging on over the subject is rooted in the fact he made a lot of money selling his channels a few years ago

in 2012 he sold 3 or 4 channels to Discovery and group 9 and for 4 years(until December 2016) he was on a $250k a year contract and was paid a reported 1 to 3 mil for each youtube channel he sold(this is depending on the individual source)

He made a lot of money and since he did not own his channel--the revenue stream did not affect him since he was on salary.

Late 2016 his contract ended and in Feb of this year he got the ownership of his main channel back and now since he no longer has the contract he now needs the youtube ad money and that is one reason why he keeps bring it up

I get that he's lost a lot of ad revenue but he also has 16.5k people giving him at the very least a dollar a month on Patreon. I have a hard time believing that he of all people needs more money.

And again, why does he have the amount that has been pledged hidden? Even Darksydephil has that enabled.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I didn't say it was an excellent attempt at satire. I just don't think it's proof of being a bigot. Everyone knows that the phrase in question has potential to offend. The guy was trying to see if he could get people to be offensive for a sparse amount of money and it worked. He's not the first comedian (if he can really be called such) to say or do offensive things on purpose for the sake of a laugh. There's a difference between a stupid attempt at satire and actively spewing hate. GFOP's post implies that all of his videos are hate speech or something and it needs to be stopped.

I don't think he's funny. I don't think the event in question was funny. But I also don't like the WSJ going balls out trying to smear him as some bigoted anti-semite for something like that. But I'm generally against and annoyed with news media being used as a device for political or character hit jobs.

I mean where was the smear in their article?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Nothing more annoying than Youtubers acting entitled and seeing themselves as the modern day equivalent of artists and professional entertainers.

--

I think it's unfair/undeserving how the media has portrayed Pewdiepie, I don't see evidence of a prejudiced bigot, but from the little of him that I've encountered before, I've seen evidence of an obnoxious, desperate-for-attention fool who seems overly pleased with himself.

I feel bad for what happened to him, but on a selfish level, I'm glad that he's plummeted in popularity and no longer seems to be a thing.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I mean where was the smear in their article?

Well I'm not a subscriber so I didn't get to read it but from what I gathered from watching other videos about it, it seemed like they outright called Pewdiepie out for being an insensitive anti-semite.

They took clips out of context and painted their own picture of the facts.

Like I said. I personally don't give a damn what happens to Pewdiepie's career or his channel. I thought his amnesia playthrough videos were amusing before he was raking in millions and I was more immature. But I don't like the news media going out of its way to destroy people like this. It was a bad joke. A bad joke that went without consequence until the WSJ decided to take some moral stand against PdP's supposed racism and basically torpedoed his career. Again, I don't care for that career but it was a hit job pure and simple.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Nothing more annoying than Youtubers acting entitled and seeing themselves as the modern day equivalent of artists and professional entertainers.

--

I think it's unfair/undeserving how the media has portrayed Pewdiepie, I don't see evidence of a prejudiced bigot, but from the little of him that I've encountered before, I've seen evidence of an obnoxious, desperate-for-attention fool who seems overly pleased with himself.

I feel bad for what happened to him, but on a selfish level, I'm glad that he's plummeted in popularity and no longer seems to be a thing.

Couldn't agree more. But I'm pretty certain his fan base are ages 10-15yr olds and his "character" is catering to that audience. At the same time though, he should've known better than to pull such a stupid stunt like that given his popularity and the audience he has.

I'm in complete agreement that he seems like a ****** bag who had it coming. I don't agree with the SJW sorry WSJ smear campaigning against YTers etc over what was clearly a joke, but I also don't find it at all funny to take advantage of impoverished people to make a very stupid joke either. The guys a millionaire and he's paying little kids in another country 5$ to publicly look like idiots. He should be ashamed of himself IMO.

Well I'm not a subscriber so I didn't get to read it but from what I gathered from watching other videos about it, it seemed like they outright called Pewdiepie out for being an insensitive anti-semite.

Like I said. I personally don't give a damn what happens to Pewdiepie's career or his channel. I thought his amnesia playthrough videos were amusing before he was raking in millions and I was more immature. But I don't like the news media going out of its way to destroy people like this. It was a bad joke. A bad joke that went without consequence until the WSJ decided to take some moral stand against PdP's supposed racism and basically torpedoed his career. Again, I don't care for that career but it was a hit job pure and simple.

I agree with you pretty much, he's not an antisemite or a racist. But he is an absolute ***** for what he did and had it coming. He should be smarter than that given his position on youtube and given his audience. It was a hit job guaranteed you won't hear me denying it. Frankly, the WSJ could've easily used the angle that he's paying impoverished kids from a 3rd world country 5$ to make fools of themselves in a video they probably weren't aware would be viewed by millions to rake in way more than that in ad revenue. Of course they had to use the prejudice angle though, gets them more views and attention.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
When did SJW become WSJ?

It's one of those ugly rare cases where both the defense and criticism are seriously wrongheaded, IMO.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

--

this I agree with. Awhile ago one youtube posted a video where she tried to get people to feel sorry for her--she had one of the largest youtube channels--sold for about a million and got mad because the people she sold her channel to wanted her to post more product(videos)--she took the money and went away for a year and now wants her followers to feel sorry for her.

but the thing is--many of the original youtubers that got huge numbers--were very young and the fame went to their head. A buddy of mine who used to work for Google here in the UK told me that one topic that no one is allowed to talk about are the youtubers who have passed away. Occasionally the media reports on the youtubers who have died due to violence or overdoses. What that happens google-youtube do not want to talk about it

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Not everyone who uploads stuff to make money. It is the Vloggers who have made a shed load of money that are causing the concern. The have been hit hard.

Honestly, these vloggers are embarrassing themselves going on camera and begging for views. One of the few pewdiepie videos I've seen is him complaining that hes only getting 50 million views a month or some crap. The other video I saw was basically him screaming about getting ****** up the ass.

Yeah PewdiePie, youtube is really screwing you out of money not flooding peoples feed with that.

Youtube is not going away, the reality is corporations are boycotting ads on youtube because they don't want the publicity timebomb of some mom going to the media asking about the coca cola ad that played before their kid watched a video of pewdiepie screaming about whatever it is he does and youtube has to adjust their algorithm accordingly. Thats the thing that separates youtube from some tv channel. They don't have full control over what ads play over what videos like tv does.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Times change, and all it takes is not forecasting one popular development in your market accurately that drives enough of your customers away to fade into the limelight.

IBM once dominated the personal computer market...a market they've now exited. The term "IBM-clone" to describe computers compatible with software designed for IBM computers hasn't been used in 25 years.

Netscape used to be the leading web browser...they're also gone now after losing to Internet Explorer, which itself is now part of a competitive market with Google and Firefox and some other lesser browsers.

Blackberry invented the personal digital assistant, basically the hand-held computer. Apple invented the SmartPhone and swatted them out of any major share of the market like a fly (being sued over patent infringement on their device didn't help, but by the time they moved past that the public had moved past them).

Yahoo! used to be the leading search engine and news portal...they've just been sold after a couple years of negotiating and some embarassing failures in security, not to mention letting their product stagnate. Google rose up and stole their search engine market out of virtually nowhere. I still have a MyYahoo page, but I no longer use it for news, since their newsfeeds don't update very often anymore, and the news there is highly biased and doesn't give me much information on what's happening in the world.

MySpace used to be THE go-to to go to for social media, but they didn't innovate fast enough and faced stiff competition from newcomer Facebook, which kept developing new features users wanted. Now they basically exist as a way for bands that haven't kept up with technology to make their music accessible to potential fans, but those bands usually have Facebook pages now and don't update the old MySpace sites anymore.

You don't keep up, you fall to the wayside, and in this industry it tends to happen big. Maybe you still use Facebook and YouTube 10 years from now, or maybe they miss the boat at some point and become fading memories like so many others. You can't predict it, but don't say it's unimaginable...it's VERY imaginable.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

--

Who's acting entitled? If you make a living by creating YouTube videos than you are a professional entertainer.

I don't like PewDiePie at all. I don't think his videos are funny and I have no idea why he's been so successful. That said, he's as popular as ever from what I can tell. The "controversy" has made him even more well known than he was before.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008

You admit to not reading it, then make the outright claim that they took clips out of context and painted their own picture of the facts. I mean, how can you possibly know the coverage was misleading without knowing what the coverage was?

Define "hit job." There is a difference between disagreeing with the journalism in a piece and accusing them of "going after" someone based on some specific issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad