Is Yakupov getting enough here?

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
Yakupov is not going to be treated the same way Hall and Eberle or even RNH were in their 1st seasons. The latter players joined a team without any offensive skill or depth and were called on to contribute immediately and given the playing time to do so. Yakupov is in a very different situation, on a team with more depth. Having said that, he is getting a solid 13-16 minutes a game (usually).

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Not worried at all. Hope he gets more ice time but you can tell he's going to break out soon. The thing that I like about him is how he seems to elevate his game when we need it most and during those really emotional games.

Lord Quas

The unseen
Aug 9, 2006
Is he getting enough icetime, does he have the quality of linemates that he needs to succeed, would he be better of if the team relied on him a bit more and if he was more of a go-to guy?

He is definitely getting enough ice time ~ at least enough to lead the Oil on the wrong end of the +/- stat (-8) :help: ... :sarcasm:

He is a go-to guy, a key part of our offence and powerplay. 3rd and 5th for goals and points respectively (5g, 9p) :naughty:

He is a rookie, and he is in a position to learn both sides of the puck without too much pressure ~ That said, from what we've seen of Nail's passion for the game, he seems the type to find away to shine :yo:

Would the Oilers be better off going with three pairings of top offensive forwards?

If the Oilers are behind and they're rolling 3 lines you'd literally never get a break. Your 3rd d pairing would have to sit.

Thoughts?

It sounds great, and if the Oils top six develop 3 pairings of offensive talent that just oozes chemistry and game-breaking ability, consistently, great! Until that happens, there's two things that bother me with this.

First, I think it will be much harder to get all 6 forwards enough quality and situationally appropriate minutes 5v5 as 3 lines opposed to 2 lines.

Second, with injuries, slumps, and inconsistant efforts from game to game (and period to period!), not to mention the ongoing development of most of our players, I think they might run into trouble if the start to typecast players too much.

Overall, I've liked what I've seen from the coach so far this season, in terms of icetime, line combos, and personel decisions. It seems like there's a message of expectations and accountability within the dressingroom.

Lord Quas

The unseen
Aug 9, 2006
One of those guys will have to go for cap reasons. Hall and Ebs have new deals kicking in next year. RNH will be the year after that along with Schultz. Just no room for Hemsky's contract. With one year left on Hemmer's deal, this is the deadline or summer to deal him. I don't see the team being in a place where resigning him makes sense even if Smyth, Belanger and Horc come off the books.

I don't agree. If Hemsky continues to play well, and the Oil are fighting for a playoff spot ~ then the Oil keep him this year. And if that's the case, then I think the Oil can find a way to keep Hemsky and resign Gags for the 2013/14 season and Cup win :bb: ... :sarcasm:

If the reverse is true, if Hemsky's play drops off, and the Oil are out of playoff contention, then the writings on the wall :help: Other scenarios, Hemsky plays well and out of the playoffs, or Hemsky plays poor and in the playoffs, depend on how a deadline/summer deal would benefit the team..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad