Is Vasilevsky back into Vezina consideration ?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He is, I think, which is amazing. He played about as well as an average back up, if that, until sometime around Christmas. Since then though... hide your kids, hide your wife...

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Is there an official Vezina thread?

Who are the contenders?

Hellebuyck, Bishop, Rask, Vasilevsky & Markstrom?
That's probably where I'd start personally, but there really have been so many crazy goalie stories this season.

Elvis putting up one of the most absurd statlines I've seen in years coming into the league, Jarry taking over in Pitt, Samsonov and Shets stepping in and dominating. It honestly is gonna come down to who has the best last stretch of the year imo. If Vasi keeps playing like he has since the new year it's probably his, but Markstrom honestly deserves Hart consideration, let alone Vezina consideration, if he drags the defensively horrendous Canucks into a divisional title.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I think so. He has the best numbers among the top goalies in starts. I take workload into consideration big time when judging Vezina candidates so he basically stands along in that respect. Bishop is also right there. Markstrom is one of those cases where he doesnt have the numbers but the eye test says he's probably been one of the best in the league. What he's doing out there, especially recently, is gobsmacking. The 49 save shutout yesterday against Chicago was as dominating a goaltender performance as you'll see.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
It still baffles me how absolutely terrible he was for the first one and a half months to start the season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It was clear that he was going to bounce back at some point. I found the analysis around Vasilevskiy's early season play to be surface level and illogical. How does someone with such a high level of talent and record of production all of a sudden become a bad goalie?

I thought he might be suffering some from a mental hangover due to the poor playoffs after how well he played in the regular season. He was a big reason for that big upset in the first round.

Now he's back to his normal level, which is the best goalie in the NHL. It was always a question of when not if he'd get back to his best, in my opinion.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Absolutely, he's been incredible and I'm not a Bolts fan at all. The team trusting their goaltender again seems to have given them their confidence and swagger back, hottest team in the chel.

Reactions: Fixxer

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
If he (and his team) continues playing at the same level until the end of the regular season, then he’ll at least get a nomination. He had a bad start, but his stats are slowly getting better. He definitely needs to post more shutouts.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
If Vasilevskiy gets a nomination even though he didn't start playing Vezina-worthy til mid season, then Merzlikins gets a nomination(and a win). Jarry would get a nomination too.

Reactions: Fixxer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad