Is Tuukka Rask a TOP 10 goalie in this league?

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Definitely a goalie that takes advantage of being on a solid defensive team and style of play but at the same time i also do believe he is a top goalie in this league.

Lundqvist
Quick
Price
Rinne
Rask

Big Guy

Aug 1, 2013
What happened to Rask being head and shoulders above Price, with only fools and casuals putting them on the same pedestal?

Are we heading towards team rankings where the top 15 consist of the teams who won their last game?

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
One poor run of form does not make a goalie.

I don't think people would disagree that the top five goalies in the NHL in whatever order contain Rinne, Price, Quick, Rask, and Lundqvisk.

I don't think Price is a top-five goalie, and I'm sure Quick isn't.

Price has been real good the last year and a half, but he was pretty slightly above average for a long time before that. If you're like me, and subscribe to Colby Cosh's theory that don't get better, I think the last year and a half is mostly a run of great luck, which all sorts of goalies have, and 89 games isn't even a huge sample. His career numbers are good but not spectacular. I still take Luongo and Schneider over him, and I guess my big thing is that Price's career save percentage is exactly the same as Bernier's and Halak's. I sorta think most goalies are huddled around average, and that Rinne, Lundqvist, Rask, Schneider, and Luongo are really the exceptions.

I don't really get the Price obsession. It can't just be Habs homers, because even Habs fans undervalue Pacioretty and Subban a lot of the time (not to mention Gallagher and Galchenyuk who developed into legitimate barely-legal first line scorers without anyone much noticing - they'll be all-star candidates next year). Maybe people just like to romanticize goalies, I don't know.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013

Price has been real good the last year and a half, but he was pretty slightly above average for a long time before that. If you're like me, and subscribe to Colby Cosh's theory that don't get better, I think the last year and a half is mostly a run of great luck, which all sorts of goalies have, and 89 games isn't even a huge sample. His career numbers are good but not spectacular. I still take Luongo and Schneider over him, and I guess my big thing is that Price's career save percentage is exactly the same as Bernier's and Halak's. I sorta think most goalies are huddled around average, and that Rinne, Lundqvist, Rask, Schneider, and Luongo are really the exceptions.

I don't really get the Price obsession. It can't just be Habs homers, because even Habs fans undervalue Pacioretty and Subban a lot of the time (not to mention Gallagher and Galchenyuk who developed into legitimate barely-legal first line scorers without anyone much noticing - they'll be all-star candidates next year). Maybe people just like to romanticize goalies, I don't know.

Depends on the fan. If you have seen bad goaltending, you tend to appreciate good goaltending. As a Wild fan, I romanticize the hell out of goalies, because ours ****ing blow right now.

Take it from a fan whose team's best goalie got shafted with MS just as he was ready to take off; you can over analyze goaltending all day, but good goalies just find a way to win. It doesn't have to be pretty.

Rask looks rough right now, but he's still a winner. He'll be fine.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
Depends on the fan. If you have seen bad goaltending, you tend to appreciate good goaltending. As a Wild fan, I romanticize the hell out of goalies, because ours ****ing blow right now.

Take it from a fan whose team's best goalie got shafted with MS just as he was ready to take off; you can over analyze goaltending all day, but good goalies just find a way to win. It doesn't have to be pretty.

Rask looks rough right now, but he's still a winner. He'll be fine.

I guess the thing is, with the exception of that weird Theodore/Aebischer span that didn't last a whole year, Montreal's had fine goaltending for fifteen years. I understand that knowing that Price is young and is probably won't get bad for ten-plus years is a huge relief, but I think Montreal has some pretty special talents in PK and Patches, and I don't think Price is really special.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Yes, let's count Price's performance at 21, but ignore his performances at 26 and 27. That's what you're doing -- giving more value to his early developing years than his current developed years. It's not 'luck' that Price is now an elite goalie, it's called 'entering his prime'.

As for Quick, ignoring playoff heroics and two Cups and looking only at regular-season stats misses the point of what a top-five goalie is. Quick steps up in the exact way and at the exact time a team needs it most. He did what Rask and Lundqvist couldn't (and what Price didn't get the chance to do last year).

In both these goalies' cases, your aim is off. You're looking at Price's past over his present, and you're looking at Quick's regular-season SV% over his Stanley Cup saves.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Lundqvist and Quick,
Then Price, Rask and Rinne.

Proven goalies that their teams can get behind, that's a proven #1.

I'm watching Bishop right now to see if he can join the club.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
WITHOUT looking at stats:

Lundqvist in a class of his own.

Rinne/Quick 2nd and 3rd in no order lol

Tukka Price Luongo Bobrovsky Anderson Lehtonen and Flower would be my top 10.

Yes, Tukka with or without defense is ****ing solid top 10.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Yes, let's count Price's performance at 21, but ignore his performances at 26 and 27. That's what you're doing -- giving more value to his early developing years than his current developed years. It's not 'luck' that Price is now an elite goalie, it's called 'entering his prime'.

As for Quick, ignoring playoff heroics and two Cups and looking only at regular-season stats misses the point of what a top-five goalie is. Quick steps up in the exact way and at the exact time a team needs it most. He did what Rask and Lundqvist couldn't (and what Price didn't get the chance to do last year).

In both these goalies' cases, your aim is off. You're looking at Price's past over his present, and you're looking at Quick's regular-season SV% over his Stanley Cup saves.

I don't disagree with your assessment of Price I think he's really good but earlier in the thread weren't you downplaying Rask because he hasn't been elite that long, so why the double standard? Also Rask has been to the Stanley cup finals and was spectacular against Pittsburgh (and yes I'm aware he sucked vs the Habs last spring) but has proven he can do very well in the playoffs.

Dallas Eakins*

I respected him EXTREMELY LOT before this season.

Can't believe no one jumped on this(I only read page one but you're slacking hf) and Rask has clearly been ousted as an average goalie with a team destroying albatross contract who cant even be played against the Bruins arch rivals, similarly is just a massive choke artist. If not for the Bruins offence digging him out of the Leafs series hole he put us in no one would dispute this label.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Remember that when Boston signed him to that massive contract after the lockout season he had never played a full season of 60+ games + more for playoffs.

It's a big deal for goalies to log those consistent seasons, so Tuuka is gonna have ups and downs even if he is the real deal.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
I respected him EXTREMELY LOT before this season...

I had a discussion with my hockey friends and we were really torn on this one. The question is very simple. Do you think that he´s a TOP10 goalie in the NHL?

Personally, I still respect him a lot, but I´m starting to have some doubts.. Even Svedberg looks competitive to him right now.

So, based on three months of hockey he went from what most folks would consider one of the top 5 goalies in the league...to outside the top 10? Dear Lord. :laugh:

Life is not a Daily Power Poll. Grab some perspective.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
So, based on three months of hockey he went from what most folks would consider one of the top 5 goalies in the league...to outside the top 10? Dear Lord. :laugh:

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

He is great and as Trottier said, 3 months does not define how great he has been and I'm sure will be throughout his career.

Dallas Eakins*

Well I also think his horrifyingly terrible play against Montreal in a vital playoff series had something to do with it.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don't disagree with your assessment of Price I think he's really good but earlier in the thread weren't you downplaying Rask because he hasn't been elite that long, so why the double standard? Also Rask has been to the Stanley cup finals and was spectacular against Pittsburgh (and yes I'm aware he sucked vs the Habs last spring) but has proven he can do very well in the playoffs.

Rask is terrific. My last post was aimed at the other user's strange logic regarding Price. However it plays out, my point was that these are the key years for both goalies as they enter their primes. Their careers will be defined by what they're doing now and from here on, not by what they did five or six years ago.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Well I also think his horrifyingly terrible play against Montreal in a vital playoff series had something to do with it.

Only among the overly impressionable and over-reactive.

Not directed at you, and sorry to be blunt. But if a poor playoff series (which Rask certainly had last spring) had that dramatic an impact on a goalie's standing, than most of the all-timers would be considered trash around here.

Dallas Eakins*

Only among the overly impressionable and over-reactive.

Not directed at you, and sorry to be blunt. But if a poor playoff series (which Rask certainly had last spring) had that dramatic an impact on a goalie's standing, than most of the all-timers would be considered trash around here.

I would find it more excusable had he had a strong start to the season I don't mean to single it out as the only reason Im just suggesting it's not merely been the poor start to the season that causes concern.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Rask is terrific. My last post was aimed at the other user's strange logic regarding Price. However it plays out, my point was that these are the key years for both goalies as they enter their primes. Their careers will be defined by what they're doing now and from here on, not by what they did five or six years ago.

Agree with you there, it will be interesting to see how things develop, both the Habs and B's should be set in net for a long time.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Top 5, but probably #4 or #5.

CURRENTLY, I'd take Rinne, Price and Quick (in no order) before him.
You could argue with where you put Lundqvist.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I guess he's a top 10 goalie, but the bottom part of that top 10 at the most. He hasnt really impressed me this year and I felt that the only reason he put up the numbers he did last year and won the Vezina was because of the team in front of him. When that defense isnt healthy, he looks very average.

I like Rask though, but idk, to me he can be considered a choker as well thanks to blowing a 3-0 series lead in 2010 and letting in 2 goals in 17 seconds the finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad