Is Toronto Falling Into The Same Trap As Last Year?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
It's regression to the mean, it actually isn't that rare. A period of unsustainably good play is often followed by a period of unsustainably BAD play before things balance out. Even with Bernier healthy they would have probably had a rough time late in the season.

Btw Wings were winning a lot of games with Gustavsson as their #1 last year and with Datsyuk and Zetterberg injured. If an injury causes a team to completely fall apart it's a not a good sign for how the team is playing overall.

The first point has already been argued. Secondly, no they weren't, Detroit was out of the playoffs for most of the regular season. They went on a hot streak at the end when they were becoming relatively healthy to just make the playoffs as an 8th seed. This season, they're essentially the same team, being more healthy - and they're first in the East.

From being out of the playoffs when injured, to being the best team in the conference - is that not falling apart when injuries occur? Does that mean Detroit is not built well either?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The even strength shots after 2 were also 18-15. The shots after Vancouver pulled back into the game by making it 4-2? 3 a piece.

Essentially, Vancouver's 46 shots were largely a result of some beneficial officiating and the Leafs letting off the gas when up by 4. Once Vancouver pulled close, the Leafs shut it down.

As for whether Toronto is falling into the same "trap" as last year, the answer is both yes and no. The Leafs' play on the ice this year is noticeably better than last, including on defense. As well, whereas last year the Leafs would largely mirror Phil Kessel (when he got hot, the team, when he was cold, the team lost), this year's team has greater depth and is a more cohesive unit. However, the possession numbers are still in the bottom third of the league.

It should also be noted that last year's team improved as the year went on. Until about mid-late-December, the team fit the impression many have of them: Always hemmed, always getting outshot, relying on superhuman goaltending to win. But the ironic part is, if they had merely average goaltending down the stretch (either Bernier doesn't get injured or Reimer doesn't have a meltdown under the pressure), they likely make the playoffs. In other words, Corsi devotees will grimace at this statement, but that was likely a playoff team last year, derailed by a freak injury to it's No.1 goaltender. In the infamous 10 game skid, they actually out-shot their opponent in 8 of 10. If they can keep healthy this year, they should make the playoffs. At the very least, the talent is there to do so in a weak Eastern Conference.

That may be true overall...but last night the defense was getting schooled with moves and giving up partial breakaways like crazy.

I saw half the game...then the TSN hilights and they had to have shown 5-6 different D lapses that led to a scoring chance.

I don't want to disrupt the thread...I just thought I would point this out in last nights game.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
James Mirtle (who isnt easy on the Leafs) wrote an article on this very topic this morning (advanced stats warning).

The tough question with this team isn’t will the Leafs fall back but (a) how dramatic will it be? and (b) can they be a playoff team as currently constructed?

The smart money should be on it being a battle that goes down to the end. This isn’t a 100-point team, but it doesn’t look like an 80-point one either, unless there are horrific injuries or something else that’s unexpected.

Some of what these Leafs are doing is the same, but there’s also enough that’s different that the outcome could surprise fans.

In a good way, for a change.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...hot-start-for-real-this-time/article22021070/

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Simply put, Toronto relies on elite goaltending, and when it is there, they are a well-above average team. When it is not there, they are a below average team.

Such is the life of a team who relies on their goaltender more than others.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Simply put, Toronto relies on elite goaltending, and when it is there, they are a well-above average team. When it is not there, they are a below average team.

Not entirely true. We were bailing our goalies out early in the year. Its only recently the goalies have brought their games up.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
yes, they're a garbage team. A collapse is inevitable without some huge trades to fix the defense.

also they've played more home games than any team.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

Goaltending wasn't good for the first 5ish games, but ever since then our goaltender has picked up their game.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
yes, they're a garbage team. A collapse is inevitable without some huge trades to fix the defense.

also they've played more home games than any team.
I don't think their schedule has that much to with it. In fact if you go by opponent points the Leafs have an easier schedule for the rest of the season. (source)

Of course, something tells me you have no interest in objective thinking.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
If I recall correctly this exact same thread was created couple days ago by a Canucks fan right after Toronto's win over Vancouver but it was shutdown quickly. The only difference today is its a Wings fan after a loss to the Leafs. :laugh:

Forum politics.

They've improved in some minor areas over last season aswell as increased depth. Last season they allowed upwards of 35+ shots every game. That's not happening.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The first point has already been argued. Secondly, no they weren't, Detroit was out of the playoffs for most of the regular season. They went on a hot streak at the end when they were becoming relatively healthy to just make the playoffs as an 8th seed. This season, they're essentially the same team, being more healthy - and they're first in the East.

From being out of the playoffs when injured, to being the best team in the conference - is that not falling apart when injuries occur? Does that mean Detroit is not built well either?
The point I was making is that a team that can't cope with 1 or even 2 key players going down is not a great TEAM. Wings coped when Howard was injured and playing bad, then they coped with MANY important players being out. They didn't do great, but they didn't fall apart. Leafs fell apart. They keep getting outshot and eventually that will catch up to them this year as well, leaning on goaltending and scoring goals off the rush is not winning hockey. They've changed enough to maybe be a playoff team still though.

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove
Yup they are allowing a lot of shots. Doesn't matter if they're all from 100ft away, but is that the case? I'm not sure.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I don't think their schedule has that much to with it. In fact if you go by opponent points the Leafs have an easier schedule for the rest of the season. (source)

Of course, something tells me you have no interest in objective thinking.

Yet, they have a better record away than home.

Dec 18th - Feb 6th; they play 17 road games and 5 home games. we'll see what they're made of after that stretch.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Not really. The Leafs clearly do need good goaltending to win, but they have improved a lot from last season in 3 notable areas.

Shot differential:

13/14 - -8
14/15 - -3.6

Still in the negative but they've more than halved it.

PK:

13/14 - 78.4%
14/15 - 84%

The one year they made the playoffs in 12/13 was the one year they had a good PK.

Scoring depth:

13/14 -Kulemin/Raymond/Clarkson/Holland/Bolland/Mcclement/Orr/Mclaren/Ashton/D'Amigo had 114 points in 490 games. Average of 0.23 points per game.

14/15 - Santorelli/Komarov/Winnik/Holland/Clarkson/Panik have 73 points in 15 games. Average of 0.46 points per game.

So the Leafs are getting exactly 2x the production of last year's bottom 6.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
The long road stretch will definitely be a challenge.

They are certainly improved from last season, but in hockey, anything can happen.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Vancouver dominated the entire road trip against the Eastern teams.

Just look at their record.

Sarcasm... right? Just want to make sure that you're mocking them, hard to tell on this site sometimes.

Canucks were thoroughly dominated by the Habs, outplayed in Ottawa and had a pretty poor first half of a game in Toronto, largely but not entirely thanks to Miller. They looked pretty exhausted the last two games but thanks to a good start were able to come home with a respectable .500-ish road performance on the longest trip of the year.

Canucks have played more road games than anyone, so before anyone writes them off as a bad team, you should wait until the schedule balances out a bit more.

As for Toronto, I think they have a good shot of sneaking into the post season, the East is wide open in my view.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Ironically if they lost last night I feel like this thread doesn't get made, its just chalked up as a bad loss and everyone moves on to the next one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad