Is Tom Wilson currently the best fighter in the NHL or.........

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
Screw that, Probert was a legit top six forward for one year and a more than passable third line guy beyond that.

Probert always impresses me a ton as a hockey player. Theres always a little bit of debate as to whether hes the undisputed heavyweight champ of his era, but none of the other contenders that could scrap with him were anywhere near good enough to sniff top-six minutes.

They're still one of the toughest teams in the league and a lot tougher than the Leafs. The Leafs are soft as butter.

For a reaaally long time I used to think the old refrain about teams that couldnt or wouldnt fight being soft was just the standard explanation that old guys used to describe teams that choked in big moments. This leafs team is legitimately soft enough that Im starting to believe it

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Not a chance Wilson is the best fighter. Who has said that? He can hold his own with most players that fight for a living. But he is also the RW on the first line, first pk unit, second pp unit, 4 on 4 and 3 on 3. He played last season at a 30 goal pace and is backing that up again this season.

But the best fighter? No

Reactions: itsjustsurvival

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
It would be pretty hillarious if someone like Wilson met someone like ... 28 year old Chris Neil.
Or probert. Domi. Orr. Twist. Mcsorley. Brown. Laraque. Brashear. Ray. Kocur. Boogaard. Even pj stock or Barnaby.

There is no comparison. The only reason Wilson is even mentioned anymore is because there’s only a handful of actual fighters left.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I love Tom Wilson but the guy I want him to meet is prime Chris Simon and those jackhammer lefts. Dude was a monster.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Ritchie of the Bruins pounded Wilson a few years back when he played for Dallas. Lucic and Reaves among others would also tune up Wilson.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Wilson picks his spots, which is fine. He's a top 6 forward. He seems to never want anything to do with the Reaves, Lucic's and Johnstons.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Haley is underestimated, and I'm not saying that as a Rangers fan. I'd say it regardless of which team he's on. From a pure fighting standpoint I think he can go toe to toe with just about anyone and has the moves. He just has a big shortcoming (totally intended) due to his size/reach.

What I find more interesting/impressive are guys that can both be listed in the top fighters and also be good contributors on the score sheet or defensively. Haley isn't that at all. Wilson is. Lucic was up until a few seasons back.

And then we have guys are/were top players in their position and can throw down with the best of them if needed. Obviously Chara stands tall (again, totally intended) here. I think Ovi can fit the bill too.

Reactions: Fixxer

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What's demeaning about Wilson not being the best fighter in the NHL?

Being owned and so forth is what I am talking about. I said he wasn't the best fighter but I didn't use that as an opportunity to embellish it. I just love Tom Wilson hate. That's all

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
No. He is a coward. He runs form fights and cherry picks guys at the end of their shift. He refuses to drop the gloves a lot.

Bruise Bros Vol 2

Nov 19, 2019
He's probably top 5 in the league these days.

He's a physical force on the ice and that would be the case regardless of what era he played in. However, toss him in the 90's or 2000's and he wouldn't even be in the same ZIP code as some of those guys in terms of fighting.

He'd get worked over pretty well by a bunch of guys if he found himself in, say, 2007. Derek Boogaard, Jody Shelley, Colton Orr, Josh Gratton, Andrew Peters, Eric Boulton, Wade Belak, Donald Brashear, Eric Godard, Georges Laraque, Jim Vandermeer, Chris Neil, Shawn Thornton, Darcy Hordichuk, Jared Boll, Raitis Ivanans, Wade Brookbank... He doesn't even come close to the top 20.

Reactions: cliffclaven

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Where do Brendan Lemieux & Tony DeAngelo rank?
Tony DeAngelo? That's random as hell.

Right now:

Ryan Reaves
Milan Lucic
Zdeno Chara
Ross Johnston
Kurtis MacDermid
Wayne Simmonds
Michael Haley/Tom Wilson
Eric Gudbranson

HM: Kevan Miller, Nick Deslauriers, Deryk Engelland (suddenly doesn't fight anymore), Brendan Lemieux

I could be missing a few.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->