Is Tom Wilson currently the best fighter in the NHL or.........

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I think it was last year he and Deslauriers fought and D-lo got the best of him.

Witkowski would also beat him.

To be fair to Wilson and the Orr/McGratton would have manhandled him, those players are plugs.

Just look back over the past 20-30 years.

Tocchet, Kevin Stevens, Lindros, Shanahan, Mark Tinordi, Adam Foote, Rob Blake, Chris Pronger, Iginla, Clark, Neely and many more would have easily tuned this guy.

Then there's guys like Probert and Nilan who could play and would have murdered this game. Alright play might be a bit of a stretch, but both did well (all things considered) when playing for the teams they loved.

Wilson isn't the best, nor would he have ever been, but he's producing offensively. Might be a bigger Pat Verbeek type player. Well, I believe Verbeek would take on anyone, but you get the idea.

Reactions: Centericedone

bov

Nov 13, 2010
God no. His win over Oleksiak was impressive, but he doesn't generally fight the true "heavyweights" of the league. He has nothing for Reaves, and I'd still put him below guys like Lucic, Engelland etc. based on their opponent history. Wilson is in or just above the mix with the Ritchie/Simmonds/Gudbranson types imo...can hang with just about anyone but won't cut it against the top dogs more often than not.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Matt Martin level fighter. imo. Got lucky a couple times.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Peluso? Well, he's mostly been in the AHL but he did play some games in NHL this season, too.

Peluso vs Reaves:

I think Wilson would stand absolutely no chance.

I don't think he beat Reaves but he did pretty well.

Reaves is definitely the best fighter in the league plus he's at 9 goals this year, pretty decent contributions.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Reaves propably. The league has definitely gotten softer in this regard. The reason Wilson gets all these KO's is guys who have no idea how to defend themselves in fights are thinking they can go with anyone these days but once they come across guy like Reaves, McQuaid or Wilson who know how to punch they are in trouble. They start swinging like maniacs and that's when a good technical fighter only needs a single punch to drop them.

Wilson isn't that great technical fighter but he's gotten better this year. I think Reaves would still beat him because he has better technique and balance, though.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Wilson is the most complete fighter, but most definitely not the best.

He's noticeable because he actually has the speed and skill to make open ice hits. Most plugs that are strictly fighters couldn't chase down a star for a hit if their life depended on it.

So again, he's not the best fighter, just the most apparent because he's always in the mix.

Centericedone

Mar 17, 2019
Wilson is a good tough player. He is the heart of Washington. Not ovechkin!!! Kills me to say it. I hate the caps. Caps were given the push last year. And I mean GIVEN.

LeanBeef

Sep 4, 2012
He's a tough kid with a strong right but I don't think he's the best... There's just not much competition anymore with the way the league has been in regards to fighting.

Just my opinion but these are the tiers of some current fighters (similar withgt/height class) for me.

Tier 1 - Reaves, Lucic, Peluso, Engelland

Tier 2- N. Ritchie (kid is underrated IMO), A. McQuaid, Prout, Johnston, MacDermid

Tier 3- Gudbranson, Kassian, Gabriel

Tier 4- Martin, Simmonds, Deslauriers, Wilson, Ferland

Tier 5- B Ritchie, Maroon.

Wilson has definitely improved on the timing and power of his punches since he first got in the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: moog35

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
He's a tough kid with a strong right but I don't think he's the best... There's just not much competition anymore with the way the league has been in regards to fighting.

Just my opinion but these are the tiers of some current fighters (similar withgt/height class) for me.

Tier 2- N. Ritchie (kid is underrated IMO), A. McQuaid, Prout, Johnston, MacDermid

Wilson has definitely improved on the timing and power of his punches since he first got in the league.
Chara belongs in tier 1 and Keven Millier should be in tier 4.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Chara belongs in tier 1 and Keven Millier should be in tier 4.

I’m shocked that Chara’s name wasn’t included until this.

I’d like to see how he’d go against Lucic or Reaves, I think they have a chance. Even at his age I’d still put my money on Chara against anyone in the league.

Did we miss this fight a few weeks ago? 42 yr old Chara..

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I’m shocked that Chara’s name wasn’t included until this.

I’d like to see how he’d go against Lucic or Reaves, I think they have a chance. Even at his age I’d still put my money on Chara against anyone in the league.

Did we miss this fight a few weeks ago? 42 yr old Chara..

I've never seen Chara lose, let alone not dust anyone foolish enough to fight him.

And that Reeves - Peluso fight was just two strong customers going at it. They're both beasts.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Chara would be tier 1.

I think McQuaid and Prout should be Tier 1A, they arent quite up there with tier 1 guys, but they are ahead of the rest of your Tier 2.

Overall though, pretty solid and fair layout of the current fighters

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I don't think he beat Reaves but he did pretty well.

Reaves is definitely the best fighter in the league plus he's at 9 goals this year, pretty decent contributions.

It was an even tilt, but Reaves got outlasted there, he gave up at the end. He takes the L for that.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
No. He would probably round out around the top-ten. I do like the way he plays the game; less so than his rookie season, but he has a more prominent role now.

His upper body strength and size are what allows him to be effective. He often flings his arms around sporadically in the hopes that one of his haymakers will land.

The elite fighters (e.g. Lucic or Reaves) would pick him apart with timely counter-punches.

Even an Oleksiak who he knocked out would beat him convincingly more often than not in a multiple fight series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad