Is Toews deserving of the HHoF?

Is Toews deserving of the HHoF?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
OK, but just so we're clear that's not what people refer to when they say a guy scored 1000 points in the NHL.

Should I have listed his Conn Smythe separately, too? It's a stupid standard and it's odd that you take issue with me deviating from it.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Should I have listed his Conn Smythe separately, too? It's a stupid standard and it's odd that you take issue with me deviating from it.
List his Conn Smythe separately from what?

I don't have an issue with you combining reg + po points. I just wanted to be clear that when people talk about someone scoring 1000 points in the NHL, they are mostly, if not always, taking about regular season only. It's not a stupid standard because it at least evens the playing field in the number of games available for someone to achieve the milestone. Adding playoff games requires context based on team performance.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
He's a lock imo. I think the hall of fame will look at a players impact on the game and their prime and not the entirety of the career. He was labeled as a top 3 player in the world in his prime. He's not a point producer. He was the best all around player.

Whoever thought he was a top 3 player was very wrong. He belongs in the so called Hall of Very Good or perhaps the Blackhawks Hall of Fame if they have one.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
IMG_1659.GIF

He is a talented Colin Fraser who happens to be paid 10.5 mill on the backs of Kane and Keith.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
How is Bergy a HoFer but not Toews?

On an individual player level, would you say Toews and Bergeron directly compete against each other for the Selke? Well Bergeron has 4 to Toews 1, so that's definitely one reason why, Bergeron may retire with the most Selkes of any player.

I feel like Toews needs a serious bounce back season to get back in the discussion of being a premier two way player in the league, he's not that old so it's possible but he doesn't seem to have that same fire he used to have when I've watched him play in the past.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
That first statement is a bit strange. Bergeron is worshipped around here, while Toews is near-universally panned.

NameReg Season ppgPlayoff ppg
Toews0.850.85
Bergeron0.760.76
Kopitar0.890.83
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He's the best playoff performer of the 3 you mentioned, and he's without question a better offensive player than Bergeron.

Bergeron has 4 Selkes, but Toews has 1 Selke and 1 Conn Smythe. To me, the Conn Smythe is a pretty legendary acheivement. I would imagine a lot of Conn Smythe winner's are in the Hall. He's close to Kopitar, but his career has eclipsed Bergeron's. Captain of 3 cup winning teams can't be ignored, especially considering how incredible he was in all 3.

I think he belongs in the HHoF question. If he doesn't nosedive during the next 5 years, he's 1st ballot IMO.

3 goals 11 assists 14 points in 23 games from one of the Cup wins I wouldn't call that incredible so no he wasn't incredible in all 3 Cup wins.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Kessel is not making it to the Hall so I don't see the point here.

I won't be surprised if Kessel does make it into the HHOF if he eclipses 1000 points (he can barely cross 1000 points by averaging 52 points per season for five seasons) and continues to produce in the playoffs.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
He's a lock imo. I think the hall of fame will look at a players impact on the game and their prime and not the entirety of the career. He was labeled as a top 3 player in the world in his prime. He's not a point producer. He was the best all around player.
in what time frame? when he was winning cups? Kane was a better player than him

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Would it really be an outrage if Toews makes it into the HHOF considering Clark Gillies and Dick Duff are members? The HHOF standards aren't high enough that adding Toews will lower them.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
For those of you that just quote points as reason to or enter not to have him enter really have no clue about hockey . omg

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's easily got the hardware collection and resume to be a first ballot guy in his era. He's got multiple Cups (won as the Captain for bonus points), Conn Smythe, Selke, Messier Award, nearly a Calder, Multi-time All Star, Triple Gold Club with a long and storied international resume including moments like "the shootout". One of the youngest captains in NHL history, frankly one of the youngest to do a lot of the aforementioned things. One of the biggest ambassadors/faces of the game/household names for a number of years as well, which has gotta count for something when we're talking about a Hall of FAME.

People just like to rag on him and detract from his accomplishments as he gets later into his career and his play drops off a little bit, because he was also one of the first to breach that 7-figure AAV threshold for contracts.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
in what time frame? when he was winning cups? Kane was a better player than him

By the GMs, league executives, the media and his peers?

He was voted as one of the greatest 100 players of ALL TIME.

The NHL 100 was selected by a 58-person panel of league executives, former players and media members.

The only other active players on that list at the time is Ovechkin, Crosby, Keith and Kane.

Seriously, click the link below and ctrl+f Toews. Look at the company he is with.

100 Greatest NHL Players

He was ranked second best player in the world in the 2013 and 2014 season by TSN.

https://www.tsn.ca/crosby-tops-tsn-hockey-s-top-50-nhl-players-1.94060

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-top-50-players-list-facts-and-figures-1.369222

Hes a lock for the HOF.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario

The NHL 100 was selected by a 58-person panel of league executives, former players and media members.

The only other active players on that list at the time is Ovechkin, Crosby, Keith and Kane.

Seriously, click the link below and ctrl+f Toews. Look at the company he is with.

100 Greatest NHL Players

He was ranked second best player in the world in the 2013 and 2014 season by TSN.

Hes a lock for the HOF.
there is no way on earth he was the SECOND best player in the world. not a chance. Stamkos was killing it in those years before his injury and in 2013, OV had returned to form. we cannot forget about Malkin or Kane. there is NO WAY on earth he was the second best. TSN is on drugs

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
there is no way on earth he was the SECOND best player in the world. not a chance. Stamkos was killing it in those years before his injury and in 2013, OV had returned to form. we cannot forget about Malkin or Kane. there is NO WAY on earth he was the second best. TSN is on drugs

Im just the messenger lol. I didn't say Toews deserves to be in. I just know he will get in because of what people around the NHL perceive his career to be.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
He's easily got the hardware collection and resume to be a first ballot guy in his era. He's got multiple Cups (won as the Captain for bonus points), Conn Smythe, Selke, Messier Award, nearly a Calder, Multi-time All Star, Triple Gold Club with a long and storied international resume including moments like "the shootout". One of the youngest captains in NHL history, frankly one of the youngest to do a lot of the aforementioned things. One of the biggest ambassadors/faces of the game/household names for a number of years as well, which has gotta count for something when we're talking about a Hall of FAME.

People just like to rag on him and detract from his accomplishments as he gets later into his career and his play drops off a little bit, because he was also one of the first to breach that 7-figure AAV threshold for contracts.
None of that has any significance.

He had a HOF worthy career based mainly on his intangibles, but he isn’t a HOF talent. He was a media darling who had 2 great years, and the media kept him relevant after the fact.

So is he “famous?” Yes, but not for his play.

100 Greatest NHL Players

Hes a lock for the HOF.
The same Top 100 that excluded guys like Thornton, Iginla, and MALKIN....

Also, TSN :laugh:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
None of that has any significance.

He had a HOF worthy career based mainly on his intangibles, but he isn’t a HOF talent.

The same Top 100 that excluded guys like Thornton, Iginla, and MALKIN....

Also, TSN :laugh:

You do realize those individuals are part of the people who will vote on who will get into the hall of fame? They are the most important people in hockey. They didn't get randoms to vote. Toews is a lock. Laugh all you want. You can @ me when he makes it in.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
You do realize those individuals are part of the people who will vote on who will get into the hall of fame? Toews is a lock. Laugh all you want. You can @ me when he makes it in.
I’m not disputing that. Using that dumb list and TSN rankings to verify that is beyond idiotic. It’s all meaningless, and perfect examples of how those individuals further need to validate Toews greatness, especially when he doesn’t deserve it. I mean, those same individuals left out some pretty big names, who are all future HOFers without a doubt. They obviously had an agenda, and needed Toews to be there to “prove” that he is worthy.

He will get in for being “captain of a semi-Dynasty.” “Being a winner.” And further intangibles.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I’m not disputing that. Using that dumb list and TSN rankings to verify that is beyond idiotic. It’s all meaningless, and perfect examples of how those individuals further need to validate Toews greatness, especially when he doesn’t deserve it.

I don't agree that he deserves to be on the list either. But it happened. Im just explaining why I think he will get in. Not whether he deserves it or not. There is a large population of people within the hockey industry that overrate Toews. Its a real thing. I was purely responding to the guy who quoted me who didn't believe people valued him that high. I don't value him that high.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I don't agree that he deserves to be on the list either. But it happened. Im just explaining why I think he will get in. Not whether he deserves it or not. There is a large population of people within the hockey industry that overrate Toews. Its a real thing. I was purely responding to the guy who quoted me who didn't believe people valued him that high. I don't value him that high.
He would have gotten in if that list never happened. He had already won 3 cups as a captain, and was still somewhat a Selke caliber player.

A lot of talking heads and mouth breathers value him that high. The same who think he’s better than Malkin.....the same people who voted that they would rather start a franchise with him instead of Lemieux, the same people who voted him a better goal scorer than a Ovechkin(more TSN shenanigans).

He has the cups, the exposure, and the “status” if you will....but not a lot of people can seriously sit there and actually believe he was the 2nd best player in the league, or even one of them for an extensive period of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->