WJC: Is this year's Group B the best group ever?

wacko2

Dec 28, 2019
various
2017 had a competitive group with a bunch of average teams in Denmark, Czech Republic, Switzerland, and Finland (who ended up in the relegation round lol), but only Sweden as a true contender. I thought that would be one of the most interesting groups ever, but this year’s group also has no bad teams, and 3 legitimate gold medal contenders

Sweden, Canada, USA, Russia and Finland. My mathematics says that's 5!!Now if only I could read.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
And 3 of the top 4.
Let's wait and see how that plays out... Finns could knock out Russia. I've got that at 50-50. I'd say Sweden is definitely on level with Russia/US/Canada as well.

Big difference is bottom of the pool... I can't prove it but I feel that the Czechs/Germans are stronger than Kazakhs/Slovaks this year.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Let's wait and see how that plays out... Finns could knock out Russia. I've got that at 50-50. I'd say Sweden is definitely on level with Russia/US/Canada as well.

Big difference is bottom of the pool... I can't prove it but I feel that the Czechs/Germans are stronger than Kazakhs/Slovaks this year.
Finns are playing the US.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Finns are playing the US.
I actually knew that and just messed up my typing.. please replace Russia with US and my statement remains the same.

I should mention... my views haven't changed once since this began. Their are 5 nations that can win gold... after watching everything, I still think there are 5 nations that can win gold.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Here is a thought that I had... I don't expect it to be liked.lol

I thiink the Juniors should adopt the women's model. Or at least a version of it.

There is a big discrepancy between the big 5 and next 5. Using this year

Pool A - Canada, Russia, US, Sweden and Finland
Pool B - Czechs, Swiss, Slovaks, Germans and Kazakhstan

Pool A has a round robin.. every game is a main event. Top 2 teams get a bye to Semi's.

Pool has a round robin... every game is intense and good (probably not a ratings darling though). Top team plays worst team in Pool B etc.

I'm sure it's not perfect (maybe top 4 get into quarters in Pool A leaving 5th in Pool A to play Top 3 in Pool B to get to quarters) but I think it might be better as every game would be awesome.

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
2015 Sweden, Czech Republic, Russia, Denmark, Switzerland as well. Sweden went undefeated in the group stage as always, Russia won silver. Denmark and the Czechs were solid which pushed a 4 point Swiss team to relegation. Denmark played 3 OT games that year.

Neither is as strong across the board talent wise as this year though I don't think.
Looks like the common denominator is Denmark being a solid team. They had quite the run from 2015 to 2017. It’s a shame they fell off, they could’ve made the tournament even better.

Reactions: Casanova

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I actually knew that and just messed up my typing.. please replace Russia with US and my statement remains the same.

I should mention... my views haven't changed once since this began. Their are 5 nations that can win gold... after watching everything, I still think there are 5 nations that can win gold.

Sure, Finland or Switzerland can win their games and if they do, the statements made in this thread wont be convincing, but on the other hand we can have a scenario of all of Canada, USA, Russia and Czechs meeting in the semis. I think that would pretty much clinch it.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yeah let's not forget how good this German team is either. It's not like it's 4 unbelievably strong teams and a defenseless minnow. This is possibly the best German team sent to the WJC. Seider, Stutzle, Bokk, Reichel - these guys have a good chance of making the quarterfinals.

Possibly?

No it's the best team they have sent and assuming that Seider doesn't stick with the Red Wings next year the 21 version might even be better.

Last edited:
Reactions: wacko2

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Possibly?

No it's the best team they have sent and assuming that Seider doesn't stick with the Red Wings next year the 21 version might even be better.
I'm pretty sure there was some kind of U18 tourney going on and the German's did really well and Czechs were dead last.

AllIDoIsLie

Dec 21, 2019
USA on par with Kazakstan and so is Germany. I don't see how this could be the best anything?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad