Is this version of the Pens actually capable of “flipping the switch”

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
After two sloppy periods against philly the Pens and their forecheck in the third were relentless, suffocating and dominant. In my eyes the team looked playoffesque.

It’s my opinion that this team knows how to win but also know that it’s a long road and their blueprint to win is a grueling one. The forecheck wears you out. Most of the year hadn’t been playoff effort.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
One of my complaints about Bylsma’s system was that it required tons of energy to work. It did work in the regular season when teams were maybe going at 100% effort but it began to fall apart playoff time. Either the pens were worn out, teams were running more interference or teams were now skating 100%. And of course we all know there was never a Plan B.

Reactions: Badfish87

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If what happened in January doesn't count as flipping the switch, then I don't think anything in hockey ever could.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
It depends on if they play good fundamental hockey. It wasn't "flipping a switch" in the third period last night, it was making the right hockey play. Instead of slinging it across the zone blindly our Defense actually settled the puck down and made a d to d pass instead of treating the puck like a hand grenade. Instead of turning the puck over or falling down Conner Sheary and the rest of the forwards corner dumped and got the jump on the weak Flyers defense and caused turnovers. Instead of having four men low in the offensive zone we had three men high. Instead of swarming and leaving our NZ responsibilities to try and get a low percentage turnover, we played disciplined within our zones of responsibility.

Can we continue that? Sure.

Will we? We haven't all season.....

Reactions: KIRK and Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don’t see how anyone can doubt this roster versus last year.

I’d say the only position we’ve downgraded at is 4C, #6 D and back-up goalie.

Until they show that they can’t, the assumption should be they will.

Especially considering how Malkin and Kessel are essentially performing at the same pace they did in the playoffs last year.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I don’t see how anyone can doubt this roster versus last year.

I’d say the only position we’ve downgraded at is 4C, #6 D and back-up goalie.

Until they show that they can’t, the assumption should be they will.

Especially considering how Malkin and Kessel are essentially performing at the same pace they did in the playoffs last year.

I think this is a valid point that “flipping the switch” maybe be a more of a mindset than effort.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
I definitely think we will. Just about everyone on the team knows what it takes to get done. Over half the team has been here for two Cup wins already.

However I am not a fan of flipping the switch. With the talent and experience our team has we should be heading in to the playoffs playing well. Eventually the switch won't flip and we will be bounced out of the playoffs early. Especially in a league that has this much parity.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
One of the things that I think makes us (made us) great was our ability to wear teams down. Especially in the 16 run.

Teams weren't use to our speed and by the 3rd period of them chasing trying to keep up they were exhausted and warn down. Which gave us a huge advantage when we kept attacking. Teams just couldn't handle it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
All "flipping the switch" means is consistently playing the way they need to play, get on the forecheck, backcheck with support, gap control, playing smart defensively, etc....

Can they do it? Sure. As someone else said, the issue is can they do it consistently for two months of the POs, or will some team like TB get them out of playing their system well over seven games....TBD...but they have the goods to win a 3rd Cup

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
One of the things that I think makes us (made us) great was our ability to wear teams down. Especially in the 16 run.

Teams weren't use to our speed and by the 3rd period of them chasing trying to keep up they were exhausted and warn down. Which gave us a huge advantage when we kept attacking. Teams just couldn't handle it.
and it could pay dividends for us with the Boston game vs philly

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
They don't need to reshape the tapestry of hockey entering the playoffs. They just need to win 4 of 7 games four times in a row.

I'm of the belief that memories are a little short around here. For some, each individual game seems to recast the entire season. I think there are still 15 more chances to rework our playoff prognoses.

To answer the question, no switch needs to be flipped. They don't need to change their trajectory that radically. Smaller examples of improvement (like Sheary scoring a goal here and there) will be all they need.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
a-buncha-bums.jpg

However..yes.They are good enough to win
Have been all year.

They just didn't display it much.

Reactions: RizzleMcRib

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
At this point, we are playing with house money. Worst case scenario we don't 3-peat. We are still back to back champions, and arguably the best team of the past decade. Some fans may not get the chance to even see their team hoist one cup. We are capable of winning it all. If they "flip the switch" come playoff time, we have a better chance that majority of the teams in the playoffs and I have no doubt they are capable of flipping it.

Reactions: ncm7772

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
this team is as good or better than every other team in the league. That doesn't make them perfect. It doesn't guarantee they will win. But there's nobody out that the this current Pens roster can't beat.

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
Look, it's not a coincidence the defensive play hasn't been good since Murray's gone down. He completely changes the tempo on the back end and makes everyone better.

Murray going down, combined with guys coasting a bit here and there makes a pretty big difference.

What makes his team capable of winning cups is 87 and 71. Sid playing merely like a very good player (whether it's because he's worn down a bit or conserving energy) rather than a generational player actually DOES make that much of a difference to the team - case in point the game vs. PHI last night.

MM healthy, relative health elsewhere, and 87 and 71 playing like we know they can play in the spring will make them the favorite to win the Cup, no matter what their seed ends up.

Reactions: td_ice

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Certainly the team has an emotional switch, or at least Sid does, the rest of the team may unconsciously follow. I think the team will play well and hard when it matters most. That may or may not be enough, we shall see.

When Sid is going, the team is going and our forward lines are at their best and our D looks much better as a result.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
I think so but obviously not as good as 2016 team. Could easily be better than 2017 team if D stays healthy and starts clicking better

Fordy

May 28, 2008
the chain reaction between getting murray back and sid doing what he did last night will be huge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->