Is this Vegas's Best Shot at a cup?

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
As others have said, bit of a weird question. As a finalist, your chances of winning the cup can't be *that* far removed from 50%. Obviously, in a 31 team league where 16 reach a super high variance playoff tournament, no team has even close to a 50% chance of winning the cup pre-season. Maybe Team Canada would have, but that's about it.

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
Yes, Fleury's soon to become 35, and teams have yet to figure out Vegas' style of play. They might as well win the Cup right now than later.

This is my thought. They're a good team but I think wouldn't have gone nearly this far without MAF. At 35 you have to wonder how much longer he can play at this super elite level. I'm also skeptical whether the Caps/Ovechkin will get back so both teams should feel some sense of urgency to get it done

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
As fan of a team that was supposed to be the next dynasty epic team and went through several years of falling short you have to get it when you have a chance to get it. But in context, Vegas will be relivant for a few season to come with all the youth they’ll have via the draft picks they have. The only way Vegas can mess it up is if they trade those picks for Vets and mortgage their future.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Hard to say. I think if they lose in the finals they'll try to acquire Karlsson this summer. They do that and I think they're going to stay a team to watch.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Vegas lucked out this season since Toronto didn’t make it. Toronto id going to make it to the SC for the next decade with all of that generational talent, so Vegas better take advantage this season.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Toxic posters needing to self gratify themselves with some shots at the Leafs.

I would put their chances at repeating as WC champs as pretty low next year so get it done whilst you have the opportunity.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
They'll probably regress a bit next year and the year after, but they came into the league with by far the most quality draft picks for the next few seasons, so barring some major mismanagement they should be serious contenders in the 2020s. I believe their roster and system will be able to make another goalie look as good as Fleury does. They will not live and die by his performance.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
I don't think they'll have another chance at the cup if their roster stays relatively the same over the next few years. But if they added a major piece like Karlsson or Tavares (or both :amazed:) than I think they might have another shot.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
If Karlsson proves to be capable of being a number one centre on a contending team in the coming years and they lock him up to a good deal and draft well, they may be a contending team for the foreseeable future.

Still, getting to the SCF is never guaranteed. They may not get this close to the Cup again any time soon. Same with Washington.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Let's see they are 4 wins away from the Cup right now. Hmmmmmmm

I think it's a safe bet that Vegas does worse the next few years then has a better season they have up to this point

Reactions: Sam Spade

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Difficult to predict what happens when they become just another team among the others, but it's much more likely that at some point in the distant future they'll win the Presidents' Trophy and dominate the league than not. Possibly long after we are all dead, hundreds, maybe thousands of years from now.

It's just the odds.

So, no, this is not their best shot.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
They are playing in the Stanley Cup finals so of course its their best shot at the Cup. You never know when they will make the Stanley Cup finals again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad