Speculation: Is this the year to go for it?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If we were or are looking for another forward, I would have paid the 4th round pick for Colin Wilson. That would be the kind of price and player I would be targeting.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
Absolutely the Jets should be going all in this year. This isnt the NBA. Any team that makes the playoffs can go on a deep run if they have a great goalie. Mason has that potential...it gives this team hope and confidence Pavs, Hutch and Helle never provided.
Jets should wait until later on to add another notable player...lets see how the regular season unfolds and then add a player to fill in the biggest hole/ injuries.
There are very few teams that have more overall talent than the Jets. I am very bullish on this season..I fully expect the team to compete for the best record in the division.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I guess that assessment depends on whether Paul Maurice held back the Hartford Whalers/Toronto Maple Leafs based on their player talent.

I don't think he was working with elite teams but perhaps you have analyzed this in detail to come to your conclusion? Care to share it?

Someone did some analysis on coaches - compared them to how their teams' did just before and after they were hired and fired. Was it Pronman? IIRC Maurice was pretty poor using that method.

Just the straight numbers though, he's got the 2nd worst winning percentage of any coach with over 1000 games. 3rd worst playoff win% of any coach >1000. Fewest playoff games and wins of any coach >1000. Fewest playoff appearances of any coach > 1000. 3rd most losses of any coach in NHL history - only 4 behind Scotty Bowman, who coached 776 more games. And 8 behind Al Arbour, who coached 242 more games.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Yes, they should be. As you state, they've got a good mix of vets, ELC contracts, and relatively inexpensive contracts, with very few holes in the line-up.

Don't waste this window.

This

You have this season and next, before we start inking some deals that will handcuff our depth going forward. Chevy has also alluded that we are in the "now" with this team, and all moves are aimed at making us as strong as we can going into this season.

But do not screw us over with albatross all in moves. We are not one piece away from being cup finalist, so make smart moves that boost your depth today, but allows you to operate with your back not up against the cap.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Absolutely the Jets should be going all in this year. This isnt the NBA. Any team that makes the playoffs can go on a deep run if they have a great goalie. Mason has that potential...it gives this team hope and confidence Pavs, Hutch and Helle never provided.
Jets should wait until later on to add another notable player...lets see how the regular season unfolds and then add a player to fill in the biggest hole/ injuries.
There are very few teams that have more overall talent than the Jets. I am very bullish on this season..I fully expect the team to compete for the best record in the division.

Belief can be a very powerful thing for players. The more experience our young guys get the better two way players they will be.

I've stuck by Maurice a long time and still think he will get us back in the playoffs this year. But if we aren't right in the mix around Xmas time he has to go.

We know what we have in our top six. It's what our bottom six and goalies give us that will decide whether we are 1st in the West or 10th.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Someone did some analysis on coaches - compared them to how their teams' did just before and after they were hired and fired. Was it Pronman? IIRC Maurice was pretty poor using that method.

Just the straight numbers though, he's got the 2nd worst winning percentage of any coach with over 1000 games. 3rd worst playoff win% of any coach >1000. Fewest playoff games and wins of any coach >1000. Fewest playoff appearances of any coach > 1000. 3rd most losses of any coach in NHL history - only 4 behind Scotty Bowman, who coached 776 more games. And 8 behind Al Arbour, who coached 242 more games.

If you think it's fair and appropriate to compare a coach who oversaw such stellar franchises like the Hartford Whalers/Carolina Hurricanes, Toronto Maple Leafs and the Winnipeg Jets to a coach who had access to better players/franchises without making any consideration for this fact seems like a silly exercise.

Would I prefer Babcock as our coach? Yep. That said, Maurice finally has a solid team without major leaky holes. I'm happy to see how he does with it. He has a short leash. I'm not going to say he's going to fail based on his coaching record that extends back to when he was 29 years old coaching the Hartford Whalers.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
I think now is a perfect time to go all in but the front office won't. I think one big signing could really put us in contention. I don't know if Kovalchuk is the guy, but adding one more piece that could score 20-25 goals would really solidify this team. Maybe if we're close at the deadline they will make a move.

I think Kyle Connor is that guy, don't want anyone being signed that is going to prevent him from playing top 9 minutes.

Scoring goals is unlikely going to be the Jets problem. We will see if penalties and bad team defense still plague them.

However I really believe this team is ready to make some noise next season.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Maybe after being successful enough to make the playoffs, not after a season where you weren't really even close to qualifying.

All the more reason to make sure you get into the playoffs now. 2 more seasons with cap flexibility and then we're subtracting, vets will be declining.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Define go for it?

If go for it means actively pushing forward knowing it could have minor negative implications to the team's long term strength relative to optimal? Sure, and I think the team has already done that.

It's not time to sell the farm, and I don't think the Jets ever will.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Define go for it?

If go for it means actively pushing forward knowing it could have minor negative implications to the team's long term strength relative to optimal? Sure, and I think the team has already done that.

It's not time to sell the farm, and I don't think the Jets ever will.

All they need is a stop-gap 3C that will ensure 3 scoring lines. Someone who can move up if Scheif/Little get injured, bump Lowry down to the 4th. Otherwise Connor/Perreault's production will be greatly diminished playing in the bottom 6.

Johansson from the Caps would've been nice, was just traded.

Last edited:

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
It is a year to go for the playoffs, and see what damage this group can do. Maybe add a peice or 2 at the deadline if we are above the line. If we crash and burn then be sellers at the deadline and back to the drawing board after some firing's hopefully. But if we can do some playoff damage, then you bring back Little(hopefully already done) keep the group together and I think next year would be our all in for the cup year before we get too hit with cap issues, and Little/Wheeler/Buff/Perreault being out of prime

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
For a serious answer, every year we have:]

A Top 10 Centre Centre: Scheif
A Top 15 D-Man: Trouba
A Top Winger: Laine

We should go for it.

The missing ingredient in my opinion is a top 15 goalie. If Mason is that then I have no issues adding something extra at the deadline if we are in a playoff spot.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Go for it, but don't sell the farm. Not interested in trading our 1st next year to get in for a round or 2. We're a playoff contender, but I don't think we're a cup contender just yet. 2-mid round picks and B/C prospects sure. Sometimes those low cost acquisitions at the deadline are the ones that pay the most dividends.

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
I think we have done a subtle shift from draft and develop to win now.This is the time for Paul Maurice to prove he can coach this team into the playoffs and beyond.I suspect he has till Christmas roughly. This isn't all in its just time to win,to many good hockey players not to.

avtarb

May 6, 2017
we have 6 guys who can score 20 or more goals

this team is the most talented team in the league.. all they needed was experience and a healthy defense and better goaltending

they addressed each area

i would be shocked if they dont win a championship next year and im not kidding

ehlers
shieffle
laine can all score 25 plus goals

wheeler
little
perrault can all score 20 plus goals

than you got armia, connor dano who are decent on the offensive end aswell

on defense is extremely underrated

we have dustin game changer bufflin noone has the speed, size and strength that he does

tyler myers finally healthy
kucicov who was a top pair defenseman his whole career
entrom who is okay and has proven he can score in the past
trouba top 15 dman already and should improve more
and morrisey another solid dman who should only get better

this team is soooo stacked right now.. that it scary.. on paper no team looks as lethal top to bottom

Weaves

Oct 28, 2013
Ottawa

this team is the most talented team in the league.. all they needed was experience and a healthy defense and better goaltending

they addressed each area

ehlers
shieffle

wheeler
little

we have dustin game changer bufflin noone has the speed, size and strength that he does

this team is soooo stacked right now.. that it scary.. on paper no team looks as lethal top to bottom

Thanks for the good laugh.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

they addressed each area

ehlers
shieffle

wheeler
little

So true! I'm pumped for this season to start.

No injuries please!

avtarb

May 6, 2017
Thanks for the good laugh.

WHATS FUNNY

tyler myers top pair dman in buffalo has tons of potential when not hurt
bufflyn - game changing dynamic player not many dmen can match his speed and size
trouba -- hes already considered one of the best dmen in league
morrissey only going to get better
enstrom prolly are worst dman and he was our best few years ago
kucicov - top pair dman most his career

are offense is stackedd

we added 3 dmen pretty much myers and kucicov and a improved morrisey and trouba

Weaves

Oct 28, 2013
Ottawa
WHATS FUNNY

bufflyn - game changing dynamic player not many dmen can match his speed and size

are offense is stackedd

we added 3 dmen pretty much myers and kucicov and a improved morrisey and trouba

While I am optimistic about playoffs this year, I doubt very much that this Jets roster is the "best/most talented team in the league" as you said in your original post. Not a chance.

Yes, The Jets boast some great firepower - not going to argue that.

But..

As a Sabres/Jets fan living in Winnipeg, I can assure you that Kulikov is more of a bottom pairing defender than a top pairing one. Garret has shown many charts indicating his ability and estimation of his upcoming season - And top pairing is not likely in the cards for him (stats confirm the eye test from last year).

Tyler Myers' play dropped off in Buffalo as the years went on, and most certainly is not a top pairing defensemen as you claim. Not to mention didn't Chevy say he is still rehabbing? Be happy with top 6 play.

I am a huge Trouba fan, easily my favorite Jet, no quarrels there. You said enstrom showed offensive prowess in the past, which is true, but i don't expect much this season offensively. Solid D is fine, though.

Hopefully good Byf appears more defensively than bad Byf, because it wasn't pretty this past season in that regard.

While some points may hold some merit, you can't proclaim the Jets are the best team just because they have flashy names or scoring ability. The team has not won a playoff game, so how can they be considered the best heading into any season?

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
WHATS FUNNY

are offense is stackedd

Before you get to far. It's Kulikov, not Kucicov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad