Speculation: Is this the year to go for it?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I would be hesitant to go in now with some of our guys still developing.
That being said, Enstrom is declining and Buff/Little/Wheeler are all either at their peak or already declining so it might be wise to utilise them while they're still good.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I don't see this year as an all-in-year. Too many question marks about our coaching staff still. If we manage to have a strong regular season and make it past the first round, next season is gonna be go time!

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I don't see this year as an all-in-year. Too many question marks about our coaching staff still. If we manage to have a strong regular season and make it past the first round, next season is gonna be go time!

Honeslty I have my fingers crossed tighter than a lock hoping the Blackhawks miss the Playoffs(cause the lack of talent compared to the rest of our division) and Quenneville gets the blame, I don't care if we win the Cup because if the best coach is on the market we better drop Maurice on the spot and go for Quenneville... Just speculation though:laugh:

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Chevy is definitely all in right now to go for it and secure a big new contract.
I think the Jets are all in for a playoff run of a round or two. If we were going all in for a cup I would hope our goalie situation would be a little more proven.
Give laine a couple of years experience, re-sign Trouba, have good enough goaltending, get another center piece, have some playoff experience, maybe another coach and assistants and then you go all in for the cup.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

The unfortunate part here is: if we have a strong regular season and make it past the first round, then the coaching staff will obviously be retained. Bit of a conundrum, no? ;)

Honeslty I have my fingers crossed tighter than a lock hoping the Blackhawks miss the Playoffs(cause the lack of talent compared to the rest of our division) and Quenneville gets the blame, I don't care if we win the Cup because if the best coach is on the market we better drop Maurice on the spot and go for Quenneville... Just speculation though:laugh:

Isn't the goal of every NHL season to win the Stanley Cup, though?

If the team is well positioned at the TD, they should absolutely go for it, IMO.

D1G

Apr 13, 2017
Winnipeg Manitoba
We will be going for it for the next decade in my opinion. Been a lot of pain but I'm pretty confident we are in go mode now. Can't wait for the season to start

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
The unfortunate part here is: if we have a strong regular season and make it past the first round, then the coaching staff will obviously be retained. Bit of a conundrum, no? ;)

If the team is well positioned at the TD, they should absolutely go for it, IMO.

If we have that kind of season, I'm okay with the coaching staff staying. If we don't, they need to go.

By "go time" I ment "going all in time" not "time to go for the coaching staff".

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Our roster needs playoffs experience. We should do everything possible to get in the door this year

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

Paul Maurice has led teams to the Stanley Cup as well as the Conference Finals. We shouldn't worry about retaining him if he's part of a successful year with the Jets.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Paul Maurice has led teams to the Stanley Cup as well as the Conference Finals. We shouldn't worry about retaining him if he's part of a successful year with the Jets.

I didn't say I was worried, did I? :dunno: I was commenting on GJF's premise. :nod:

If he's able to turn things around (and I did like what he did with the team when he got here), then I have no problem with him staying. I think he over-coaches, sometimes. This year will be telling, as he now has the roster to run with other teams with no excuses.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
This year, see what our new toys can do (Kulikov, Mason), while get into the playoffs and win some games/a round.

Next year, a ruthless, take-no-prisoners onslaught all the way to the Cup.

EDIT: What Maurice needs to do is tighten up defense, special teams and discipline. No excuses. And God help him if he lets the team ever come out as flat as they did some games last year, like NYE. Jets are in No position to throw games away like that.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
The playoffs are a different game. We have almost zero playoff experience. For the first time in a number of years, I am excited about what we did in the offseason and am looking forward to see what these guys can do. If the coaching stays out of the way of the talent and Mason doesn't crap the bed, we will make the playoffs. We start to develop that experience. We would still be a year or two away from true compete for a deep run, but playoffs this year is the first necessary step.

There were a number of us posting here how playoff experience matters and we can't afford to throw away years and years with no playoffs due to a simple fix like getting a league average goaltender and shoring up our LHD. Why we waited until this year to do these simple things, I will never understand. We had the talent to have more playoff experience already but our guy was happy to just let time go by. However, I am pleased that Chevy finally did his job in this offseason. It really wasn't that hard, was it.
Experienced goaltenders have been moving around all over the league the last few years.

But anyway, what's done is done. Now let's see what these guys can do.

GJG!

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I didn't say I was worried, did I? :dunno: I was commenting on GJF's premise. :nod:

If he's able to turn things around (and I did like what he did with the team when he got here), then I have no problem with him staying. I think he over-coaches, sometimes. This year will be telling, as he now has the roster to run with other teams with no excuses.

Agreed, no excuses. I hope he and the Jets have a successful year. I'm fine with him being discarded by November if he doesn't capitalize on what he has.

Since Maurice has successfully led teams deep in the playoffs before, I'd like to think he won't really be a drag on this team.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I'm in for looking for an additional short term piece or two (either now or at the deadline). The key will be that they really must be short term, as I wouldn't want their contracts to affect our next wave of upcoming deals.

I wouldn't be looking to deal any of our top prospects or 1st round picks to do it though.

So I'm "in" to keep adding where needed and where future cap space allows, but not "all in" where we move top prospects and picks.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
IMO it's a leap too far to go from 0 playoff wins and 5/6 non-playoff seasons to 16 playoff wins all in one year.

This was the exact thought I had reading all these rosy predictions.

This team has near-zero playoff experience. Let's get a feel for playing in the post-season first; the playoffs are a different animal.

Two years from now it might be a different story.

m.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
This was the exact thought I had reading all these rosy predictions.

This team has near-zero playoff experience. Let's get a feel for playing in the post-season first; the playoffs are a different animal.

Two years from now it might be a different story.

m.

Mine isn't a "rosy prediction". It's more a case of: this team has talent and once you get in, anything can happen. Add a couple pieces at the TD, and ... why not us?

If I had to put odds on it, then I wouldn't take the bet, but there's still a chance. Until they're eliminated this year, I prefer to take the optimistic outlook on things.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

Paul Maurice, 19 seasons as a head coach (not counting the upcoming one):

2001-02 -- Lost in Cup final -- only appearance
2009-09 -- Lost in conference final
5 seasons -- Lost in first round
12 seasons -- Missed playoffs

The guy's a loser. Don't even wait, get rid of him now.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Paul Maurice, 19 seasons as a head coach (not counting the upcoming one):

2001-02 -- Lost in Cup final -- only appearance
2009-09 -- Lost in conference final
5 seasons -- Lost in first round
12 seasons -- Missed playoffs

The guy's a loser. Don't even wait, get rid of him now.

I guess that assessment depends on whether Paul Maurice held back the Hartford Whalers/Toronto Maple Leafs based on their player talent.

I don't think he was working with elite teams but perhaps you have analyzed this in detail to come to your conclusion? Care to share it?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I guess that assessment depends on whether Paul Maurice held back the Hartford Whalers/Toronto Maple Leafs based on their player talent.

I don't think he was working with elite teams but perhaps you have analyzed this in detail to come to your conclusion? Care to share it?

No team that Paul Maurice has coached or will coach can be considered elite. To be elite a team needs a proper coach.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
No team that Paul Maurice has coached or will coach can be considered elite. To be elite a team needs a proper coach.

Deflection noted.

I guess your assessment didn't look at the quality of players that Maurice had to previously work with, which is what I suspected.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

My hope is that the questionable decisions made last year were a result of working with Chevy to try things out and evaluate. Hopefully that has now ended and Maurice can just go with what works best.

Fingers crossed. :popcorn:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Deflection noted.

I guess your assessment didn't look at the quality of players that Maurice had to previously work with, which is what I suspected.

I'm sure Maurice's agent can provide the excuses the next time he tries to con a GM into giving him a job.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Or you could do so yourself by explaining your reasoning.

That what other posters here do to gain credibility.

Don't expect me to make excuses for Maurice.

Credibility on these boards and $2.25 get you an XL at Tims (unless you're Garret, in which case they get you an XL and a career). It's not something that concerns me. I offered an opinion, not a scientific treatise. Make of it what you will, or won't. Either way it won't make Maurice a better coach or influence Chevy.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Don't expect me to make excuses for Maurice.

Credibility on these boards and $2.25 get you an XL at Tims (unless you're Garret, in which case they get you an XL and a career). It's not something that concerns me. I offered an opinion, not a scientific treatise. Make of it what you will, or won't. Either way it won't make Maurice a better coach or influence Chevy.

I wasn't making an excuse for Maurice. I simply noted that he has brought a team to the Stanley Cup and Conference Finals before so he is capable of bringing a team there.

Now, the outstanding question is whether he will be a drag on our current team or not. Hard to say. I think his mandate the past two years was to play a lot of our young prospects in meaningful roles and minutes. He did that and many of them have already flourished into budding stars.

Sure, some of you may be upset at such important things as playing Thorburn five minutes a night or thinking Petan was underutilized. We'll see if that is an important factor this upcoming year.

Is he the right guy to transition this team from developing young players into a contending team? Maybe, not sure. He deserves the opportunity to try this year and he may succeed (as he has done in the past).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad