Is this the year the Penguins miss the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Is this the same Guentzel who as of the time you posted the above, had 6g/12pts in 18 games? That's a 27g/55pt pace. Quite the slump there. :laugh:

FYI, he's now up to 8g/15pts in 20 games (32g/60pt pace)... is he still "slumping" ?? I guess those 5 pts makes all the difference... :sarcasm:

Guess it's a good thing he's a much better player then Tom Wilson.
Is that so?

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Currently last in the East. Matt Murray sporting a 4.08 GAA and .877 save %. Crosby,Malkin, Kessel and Letang all doing their thing it seems but team is 7-8-3 and 8 points out of a playoff spot which is going to be a tough climb back. Only a -1 goal differential. Scored as many goals as Boston - seems the problem is defense?

Or maybe they go on a 5 game win streak and all is good in Pittsburgh. Either way Pens being last in the East a fifth in the season is probably not something everyone expected.

No. Unless they don't make the PO's they are a SC favorite.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
No. Unless they don't make the PO's they are a SC favorite.

Not with their goaltending. I don't think they have the right auxiliary pieces either. Can't write them off, because they have the talent to win still.

But it's going to be a different year. I think of the traditional powers, Pens, Hawks, Kings, and Sharks are all in danger of missing the playoffs, as the younger teams, that have drafted well, catch up to the top end talent of teams that leveraged themselves in depth, to win in the moment.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Goaltending is not the issue, DeSmith has been good and Jarry ok, everything else just f***ing sucks, except Crosby and Letang.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Not with their goaltending. I don't think they have the right auxiliary pieces either. Can't write them off, because they have the talent to win still.

But it's going to be a different year. I think of the traditional powers, Pens, Hawks, Kings, and Sharks are all in danger of missing the playoffs, as the younger teams, that have drafted well, catch up to the top end talent of teams that leveraged themselves in depth, to win in the moment.

Can't disagree with this but until the Pens actually miss the PO's I will not count them out.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yes, and they'll win the Hughes lottery.

They've done this before. I see what they're up to.
I don't know what's funnier, that people think this thing is rigged or that they seriously think we ever rigged any of the picks we got.

Must be interesting living in that kind of head space.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I can't see three teams from that division finishing ahead of them.

WSH? Sure. They've won the Metro a few years in a row.

CLB? Maybe.

Who else?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Nope. Their division is trash.

In the end, they will be top 3 in their division. 1) Columbus/Washington 3) Pittsburgh.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
These kind of threads are the kind of threads that get bumped when the Penguins go on a 9 game win streak :laugh:

They have huge flaws on the roster, but JR isn't going to sit on his hands and a lot of the players who are struggling are playing at unsustainably bad levels. Can they miss the playoffs? Oh yeah, for sure, but it's way too early to say they will.

Damn, they're on a 7 game win streak right now. Is it too early to bump this post or should I wait 2 more games? :laugh:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
They're not one of the top 5 cup contenders IMO in the league, but until they're eliminated, having Crosby/Malkin is enough to scare and win

Reactions: KIRK

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
These kind of threads are the kind of threads that get bumped when the Penguins go on a 9 game win streak :laugh:

They have huge flaws on the roster, but JR isn't going to sit on his hands and a lot of the players who are struggling are playing at unsustainably bad levels. Can they miss the playoffs? Oh yeah, for sure, but it's way too early to say they will.
Or a 7 game streak. Pens seem to always take the first part of the season off.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
We'd trash every team in the east except Tampa and Washington. Those will be close.

Toronto/CBJ/Boston/ are pretenders and would lose in 5-6 games to the Pens.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
They're not one of the top 5 cup contenders IMO in the league, but until they're eliminated, having Crosby/Malkin is enough to scare and win

The Pens are in fact a top 5 contender. I think it will be Caps vs Pens and Lightning vs Leafs in second round of the East. Whoever comes out of that is the Cup favorite.

Pens do what they have done last 3 Cup years. Suck until some time in December and then kick into gear. Anyone that has seen the Pens lately knows the gear has been switched and the Pens are one of they top contenders.

Murray since coming back from injury is back to Cup form with 6-0 record and the best GAA and save % in the league during that time. DeSmith has been solid all year and actually has some of the best numbers for goalies in the NHL. He is currently 4th in goals against and the goalies in front of him have all played less games. DeSmith is actually leading that category for goalies with 25 plus starts which would be starter eligible for 40 games played (50+ games for full season). When you have a backup doing that well and a 2 time Cup winning starter to go along with Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, and Letang you are a Cup contender. Pens also have a nice surrounding cast to go with those elite players.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Simon-Malkin-Hornqvist
Pearson-Brassard-Kessel

Is an elite top 3 lines and can match up against any team in the NHL. The Dumoulin-Letang pairing is one of the best pairings in the NHL. If you don’t believe me do some research. Elite level goaltending. The Pens have all the ingredients to win the Cup and we have a GM that is all in every year and is a guarantee to bring in something to make the team better.

Most of the Pens have Cup winning experience and won 2 Cups in a row. Last year they lost in OT in game 6 to the eventual Cup champs and they did it with Murray playing average. If Murray was on like his first two Cups and the way he is playing now since coming back from the groin injury Pens win that series. Anyone that does not think the Pens are a top contender might just learn the hard way. Should be some amazing games from those top 4 teams in the East and it is anyone’s guess who comes out of it. All I will say is that if Murray is playing near his top form I like our chances.

Last edited:
Reactions: Giskard
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->