Is this the year the Penguins miss the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Talked to my Pens fan he seems really down on them right now. I was like you know they will turn it around. He wasnt sure. Is it really that bad right now?

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
It is. Either a few things would need to happen.. Trade Kessel for decent return. Same for Letang, or trade coach.

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
To match the 97 points that the Devils had last year for the 8th playoff spot, the Pens will need to go 37-21-5. NO CHANCE.

I said before the season started that they would miss the playoffs. :sarcasm::naughty:

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Not if they fire whatshisname and hire Quennville! They always do well when they replace the coach mid-season.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
To match the 97 points that the Devils had last year for the 8th playoff spot, the Pens will need to go 37-21-5. NO CHANCE.

I said before the season started that they would miss the playoffs. :sarcasm::naughty:

That seems like a high benchmark. Sportsclubstats says that with 97 points they would have a ninety nine percent chance of making it, and it would be about 50/50 even if they get only 92 points.

It's just some projections. but it sure sounds a lot more plausible. I say they make it.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
With about a month left of this year, and no more playoffs to play, I think 2019 might actually be the year they finally miss the playoffs.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
No...? It's pretty much the same team as last year. They will finish in the top 4-5 in the East and make the playoffs easily. Stop repeating the same stupid mistakes every year, HFBoards... The predictions made on this forum are always wrong yet people never seem to remember. Case in point, whenever people think the Habs will suck, they don't... People always predict Florida will be amazing and then they aren't. Too many examples to mention.

:help::help:

Reactions: Casanova

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
This is a wild overreaction concerning the first ~20 games of the year for most NHL teams.

I do think their Goaltending is wildly overrated, but they have enough structure from Sullivan to counteract some defensive deficiencies. Their defensive deficiency of xGA, xGA%, and Shot Suppression are extremely concerning for a Penguin fan.

B5431118-4262-4DE7-9FF2-7E3B9F6A2FAB.jpeg

Murray’s glove side is his biggest fault and there are a lot of HDO/Shot Density on his glove side. The defense has been horrible at slowing down these HDO, but seem to be pressuring the glove side much better since that’s his biggest fault.

They can outscore their problems and they have the pieces to do so. They just need a more suppressive D structure along with something that can really really help their goaltenders.

If Murray straightens his game, Penguins are easily contenders.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
That seems like a high benchmark. Sportsclubstats says that with 97 points they would have a ninety nine percent chance of making it, and it would be about 50/50 even if they get only 92 points.

It's just some projections. but it sure sounds a lot more plausible. I say they make it.
Last 5 years points for the last playoff team are 97,95,96,98,93. Just saying. It's a big uphill battle. If they don't turn it around in the next 2 weeks, they're done.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
My expectations are humbled for this year. I think we have true depth problems both in the bottom six and at the 4-6 defenseman positions. The Murray and DeSmith tandem are fine the team is just doing everything they can to make their job as hard as possible right now. I do believe the Pens will dig out and make the playoffs. But I do not see them going any further than the 2nd round. This year I think is a “reset” year where it’ll take GMJR a deadline move and some off season moves to load this team up for the remaining year or two of this teams true competitive window. Stranger things have happened, look at 09’ and 16’ with long skids. But you can’t always catch lightning in a bottle, I have no doubt they’ll at least be a wild card but as I stated I think their playoffs end by the closing of the 2nd round.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
No...? It's pretty much the same team as last year. They will finish in the top 4-5 in the East and make the playoffs easily. Stop repeating the same stupid mistakes every year, HFBoards... The predictions made on this forum are always wrong yet people never seem to remember. Case in point, whenever people think the Habs will suck, they don't... People always predict Florida will be amazing and then they aren't. Too many examples to mention.

:help::help:

Last year they had a terrible and unsustainable pdo in the early season if I remember correctly (after checking they were under 98 by November 20), making the turn around very likely. They have a 100.2 PDO right now,

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Of the last 12 Stanley Cup champions only Boston is in the top ten in the NHL standings currently. So things change and there's lots of parity. That being said, I wouldn't bet on Pittsburgh missing the playoffs.

My Best-Carey

MardocAgain

Apr 10, 2012
It is. Either a few things would need to happen.. Trade Kessel for decent return. Same for Letang, or trade coach.
I don’t understand this train of thought. How can you get better value that a 90pt player with a 6.2M cap

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What do you mean, money to replace Guentzel? He's slumping right now but he'll get a new contract from us.

Is this the same Guentzel who as of the time you posted the above, had 6g/12pts in 18 games? That's a 27g/55pt pace. Quite the slump there. :laugh:

FYI, he's now up to 8g/15pts in 20 games (32g/60pt pace)... is he still "slumping" ?? I guess those 5 pts makes all the difference... :sarcasm:

Sorry, I misspoke. I meant resign Guentzel.

He’s gonna get a hefty raise, probably more so than Tom Wilson.

Guess it's a good thing he's a much better player then Tom Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad