Is this the "worst" year for rookies in a while?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I believe there is a Bruin player named Charlie McAvoy who posted 32 points and a +/- 20 in 63 games in his rookie season as a first pairing defenseman missing on this list. And that Pasta guy could maybe make it to?
Ive noticed things like that with the OP in this thread and others. Puts arguments together well bud strangely leaves out details for his convenience for maybe childish reasons

Reactions: EP40

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Its been 24 games.... This isn't even a small sample size anymore. Over 1/3 of the canucks season is over. its so high cause he doesnt shoot unless he has a good shot, he's a playmaker first.
24 games is a very small sample size, are you serious?

He's not going to continue to shoot at 25% I guarantee it.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
And Barzal didn’t have 5 point games to prop up his production? Rookies go through adjustment periods of ups and downs; happens to every rookie. Pettersson just so happens to play on the worst team in the league, so he’s going to have his work cut out for him.
he wasnt talking about barzal he was saying pettersson is out producing everyone else on that list and implying he was significantly better. a lot of those players played on bad teams. some played in era where there was only 5 guys who broke 80 points.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
If you're going to say Pettersson isn't a better prospect then Matthews, I'm gonna judge both the players on an even basis which is 24 games. Oh btw, it's over a quarter of the season done for the Canucks. This isn't such a small sample size anymore. Canucks have 52 games left.
why are you putting words in my mouth like honestly, and did you just ignore the fact that 82 games for a rookie is hard lol, atleast try to prove your point without putting stuff I didnt say in your post it looks bad. and imo Pettersson is not Auston Matthews lol 2 different players.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Svechnikov can't help he is playing with Wallmark and Martinook.

If he was in Calgary on their first line I think he could've easily had more points than Lindholm. Better playmaker, better shooter, very strong, and mediocre 2 way game for a rook.

Reactions: Highway29

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
why are you putting words in my mouth like honestly, and did you just ignore the fact that 82 games for a rookie is hard lol, atleast try to prove your point without putting stuff I didnt say in your post it looks bad. and imo Pettersson is not Auston Matthews lol 2 different players.
...that was the quote *I* responded to. "Youre" wasn't literally you. Lmao.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
he wasnt talking about barzal he was saying pettersson is out producing everyone else on that list and implying he was significantly better. a lot of those players played on bad teams. some played in era where there was only 5 guys who broke 80 points.
Jesus.
OP says "I don't think Petterson, Dahlin, and Tkachuk will end up comparing too favorably to the elites in these groups, and this year's rookie depth is . . . . mediocre." If you're going to judge that based on the 24 games Pettersson has played then it's actually in favour of him. He's had a good season thus far.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Maybe not this season, but I'm just pointing out that Pettersson was actually doing better than Matthews at this point. Since we're gonna compare.

Okay, but by the end of the season it's unlikely his rookie season will have been as good and he's a year older. Remember when this board voted him better than Matthews already after 10 games? Good times.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Lacking depth? Yes. The rest of this thread is comical, though.

Like OP using the “small sample size” excuse for Pettersson when the basis of his entire premature thread is based on a small sample size.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
Okay, but by the end of the season it's unlikely his rookie season will have been as good and he's a year older. Remember when this board voted him better than Matthews already after 10 games? Good times.
I still think he *could* be right there with Matthews, albeit give it a few seasons. And he might just go the opposite way. We will know more when he's in his second season

Also, a year older is a dumb comment. He's had 1 more yr of development but he absolutely dominated the SHL.....oh and if we're talking about actual age, they're both the same age in their rookie seasons. Pettersson is a Nov baby.

Last edited:

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Its been 24 games.... This isn't even a small sample size anymore. Over 1/3 of the canucks season is over. its so high cause he doesnt shoot unless he has a good shot, he's a playmaker first.

It's been coming down steadily since his hot start. In his first 10 games he had 10 goals shooting at 35.7%. In his next 14 games he had 3 goals shooting 13%. He's no different than anyone else. He may be an opportunistic shooter but he's likely going to come down below 20%.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I still think he *could* be right there with Matthews, albeit give it a few seasons. And he might just go the opposite way. We will know more when he's in his second season

Also, a year older is a dumb comment. He's had 1 more yr of development but he absolutely dominated the SHL.....oh and if we're talking about actual age, they're both the same age in their rookie seasons. Pettersson is a Nov baby.

Pettersson is 20. Matthews didn't turn 20 until his 2nd season, and yes 1 year before the age of 22 is worth noting in most cases. I don't doubt Pettersson's potential btw, I was only talking about their rookie years. What he's done so far is very impressive on that team especially.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
It's been coming down steadily since his hot start. In his first 10 games he had 10 goals shooting at 35.7%. In his next 14 games he had 3 goals shooting 13%. He's no different than anyone else. He may be an opportunistic shooter but he's likely going to come down below 20%.
Yea, the 10 games had a way higher s% that was def inflated but he was also shooting more consistently then he is now. 28 in 10 vs 23 in 14.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Pettersson Tkachuk and Dahlin are living up to the hype.

It's not their fault the other cats in this rookie crop aren't rising to the occasion.

Reactions: CP4

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017

Pettersen is a great player but Matthews was lighting it up right out of the draft at 18 years old. Big difference

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The season is barely over a quarter over and there has been some strong rookie performances. I would not call this a weak group of rookies by any sense of the imagination. Is it the best? Maybe not, but it sure as hell ain't the worse.

Reactions: CP4

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Two rookies are gunning at slightly less than a point per game pace.

Dahlin and Heiskanen are two of the best rookie prospects to have come around in quite a while. Dahlin is on pace for 40pts as an 18 year old dman, that's absurdly rare in this league.

Even players like Kotkaneimi could turn it up big in the second half.

It's not a worse year for rookies, it's just a less hyped one. AM was in Toronto, McDavid is generational donor course their year gets more press.

I'd say this year's class is much better than last year's.
Ekblad had the same super rookie season and then what

lawrence

May 19, 2012
24 games is a very small sample size, are you serious?

He's not going to continue to shoot at 25% I guarantee it.

Lol. 24 games is a small sample size so,why call off an entire rookie class for it, smartass. Your thread is literally due to a 24 game sample size or a quarter of a season sample size. Heck tkachuk who also suffered an injury earlier, has even a smaller sample size then 24.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
2017-18:
Barzal
Keller
Hischier
Connor
Boeser
Sergachev
Debrincat
Dubois
Patrick

This years class is more impressive IMO.

E. Pettersson
R. Dahlin
M. Heiskanen
B. Tkachuck
A. Svechnikov
H. Jokiharju
J. Kotkaniemi
C. White
M. Lajoie
F. Chytil
C. Mittelstadt
B. Howden
D. Cholowski
M. Rasmussen
O. Lindblom
A. Cirelli

Last edited:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Don't get me wrong, there are some excellent rookies this year, but when you look back at the past 5 years, this one might be near the bottom.

I think we might start seeing the decline of the "super rookie" phase as the injection of young talent we saw from 2014 - 2018 is starting to really establish themselves, making it increasingly difficult for young players to take on dominant roles (as there are less aging vets around to take them from). Remember when MacKinnon came in and put up such a dominant rookie season (compared to prior years). Well since then there have been 13 other rookies to come in and score at a higher pace than him! That tells you how amazing the recent rookie classes have been.

For consideration, here are some of the top rookies from past classes.

2017-18:
Barzal
Keller
Hischier
Connor
Boeser
Sergachev
Debrincat
Dubois
Patrick

2016-17:
Matthews
Laine
Marner
Nylander
Werenski
Aho
Tkachuk
Point

2015-16:
McDavid
Eichel
Panarin
Ghost
Domi
Reinhart
Ehlers

2014-15
Gaudreau
Forsberg
Stone
Ekblad
Klingberg
Hoffman
Kuznetsov
Hayes

I don't think Petterson, Dahlin, and Tkachuk will end up comparing too favorably to the elites in these groups, and this year's rookie depth is . . . . mediocre.

Do you think we are going to start seeing a drop off in rookie impact over the next few years? And is this year the start of it?

I appreciate the subtext or underlying message in this thread topic: "Draft Schmaft" perhaps?

:sarcasm:o_O

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
This years class is more impressive IMO.

E. Pettersson
R.Dahlin
M. Heiskanen
B. Tkachuck
A. Svechnikov
H. Jokiharju
J. Kotkaniemi
C. White
M. Lajoie
F. Chytil
C. Mittelstadt
B. Howden
D. Cholowski
M. Rasmussen
O. Lindblom
A. Cirelli
That falls off in a pretty dramatic way after the top 4. Last year was without a doubt a deeper class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->