Is this the worst line-up this team has iced in the last decade?

SeawaterOnIce

Being invaded again.
Aug 28, 2011
I posted this in the GDT. I became a Canucks fan in 98, during the period where the upper bowl of GM Place was nearly empty as many fans fled the cluster**** of the Messier-Keenan era. In 98 (yeah, not in the past decade), we iced a lineup of...

Naslund-Messier-Mogilny
May-Scatchard/Zezel- Muckalt
Schaefer-York/Gagner-Klatt
Brashear-Hendrickson-Strudwick

Our D was ****, and we had Sean Burke in the pipes. Pretty much 1 has-been line featuring a good young player, 1 AHL line, and 2 ECHL lines.

So it looks bad right now, but damn, it could be a hell of a lot worse.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Once we move Luongo or Schneider we will probably be back to what we expect of the Canucks. Too bad it wont happen until the draft.

Detroit can also become a trade partner since they will be in the East as well. :)

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Without a doubt the worse lineup in a decade.

Schroeder - Jensen
Pinizotto - Lapierre - Weise shouldn't even be in the NHL and the corps of D-men except the 2 mentioned are pretty useless on a regular basis. :(

1st round exit in 5 games..........doesn't matter who they play,unless our goalies stand on their heads.

Our fans became really spoiled with our cup run lineup...:help:

LolClarkson*

a little late to the party, but this is the roster from the last game of the dave nonis era:

bieksa
bourdon
burrows
cowan
edler
isbister
kesler
linden
mciver
mitchell
naslund
pettinger
ritchie
rypien
salo
sedin
shannon
sanford
luongo

the only players on that list that were playing better then than they are now were ... salo and mitchell. and btw, flames won that game 7-1.

so yeah, not the last decade, but if you're talking about the last 3 years i'd agree with you. today's lineup isn't going to sniff any president's trophies.

That was the only Canucks game I ever seen in GM place :cry: as I live in Edmonton. It was Linden's last.

LolClarkson*

Blast from the past... There is archives of game day threads here http://hfboards.mandatory.com/archive/index.php/t-96661.html but they don't show the lineups. ???

From 2004

Matty

Actually, Crawford has always given the most ice-time to his top offensive unit and the 2nd most ice-time to his top defensive unit. Why assume that this thinking will change? If no one is signed, I could see the lines looking something like:

Naslund - Morrison - Bertuzzi
Cooke - Chubarov - Linden
Daniel - Henrik - King/Bouck?
May - Kesler?? - Ruutu

^I actually like that lineup.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
:laugh:
Booth was not a free agent

Maybe Garrison isn't worth 4.6 over 6 but you are right, another team would have over-paid for him and then we have nobody because somebody over paid for Salo.

The Booth trade and Garrison signing are fine. The Hodgson and Grabner trades were mortal sins and the GM is 100% to blame.

If Kassian can turn into a 30+ goal scorer in a couple of seasons, Canucks win that trade big time. Right now it's just a good hockey trade, Sabres got a C they were desperate for, Canucks get a legit power forward prospect. Grabner has regressed ever since that big year with the Islanders, right after getting that big contract.

Both of these players went to weak Eastern Conference teams, a much more offense minded conference, and got way more ice time than they ever would have gotten here. To give Grabner and Hodgson the ice time that they would have needed to flourish here, we'd have to move the Sedins and Kesler down the line-up.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
I posted this in the GDT. I became a Canucks fan in 98, during the period where the upper bowl of GM Place was nearly empty as many fans fled the cluster**** of the Messier-Keenan era. In 98 (yeah, not in the past decade), we iced a lineup of...

Naslund-Messier-Mogilny
May-Scatchard/Zezel- Muckalt
Schaefer-York/Gagner-Klatt
Brashear-Hendrickson-Strudwick

Our D was ****, and we had Sean Burke in the pipes. Pretty much 1 has-been line featuring a good young player, 1 AHL line, and 2 ECHL lines.

So it looks bad right now, but damn, it could be a hell of a lot worse.

Ignoring the bottom 9, that top line looked downright frightening on paper. Funny how reality vs perception is so different. If you showed any non-Canucks fan a lineup of Naslund, Messier and Mogilny they'd probably ask whether they combined for 250 or 300 points. Of course, the year before that they had Pavel Bure too. What could have been..

From an offense corps POV, yeah the lineup looks pretty brutal. Definitely worse than anything we had in the first half of the decade before the sudden collapse of the Naslund/Bertuzzi duopoly. But the 07-08 team was so painful to watch I actually stopped caring about the Canucks for some seasons afterwards. 10 year fan, dropped the team because the offense was just that pathetic and anemic. So no, two back to back Art Ross winners on your team who are still clearly in their prime in no way means it is the worst offensive lineup, not by a country mile, no matter how awful the rest of the bottom 9 look on paper. This is still a playoff team. The 07-08 line belonged nowhere near a playoff spot even though they were two points away (thank you Lu)

LolClarkson*

2005 offseason proposal

Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi
Sedin-Sedin-Carter
Cooke-Kesler-King/Fedorov
Ruutu-Linden-Park

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Can't wait till free agency. New players and hopefully some scorers for the second line and new depth. This team is going through a psychological crisis and things are not working so this team needs changes and pieces to be added.

Coconuts

Jan 13, 2007
On Feb 28, 2006 we iced a defence of:

Allen-Bieksa(rookie)
McCarthy-Butenschon
Mojzis-Brookbank

Yeah...

And our goalies were Auld and Ouellet.

I was trying to find that boxscore, but I was looking in '08. I forgot that was right after our team was decimated during the Olympics.

Another one, February 5, 2008 vs. Dallas:

1: Sedin - Sedin - Naslund
3: Burrows - Kesler - Pyatt
4a: Cowan - Ritchie - Linden
4b: Raymond - Jaffray - Cooke

Edler - Salo
McIver - Weaver
Bourdon - Fitzgerald

Remember that Naslund scored only 55 points, Burrows had scored just 3 goals in the previous full season, Kesler had yet to break out offensively, and Edler and Raymond were still rookies. Combined goals on the season for this lineup: 164.

Today's lineup doesn't look promising, but it's barely even worse than the group that kicked off our fabulous 2010-11 campaign. With that said, I'm far from optimistic about this season.

LolClarkson*

Oh yeah ^

October 8 2006 vs Colorado

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Markus Naslund
Jan Bulis - Brendan Morrison - Taylor Pyatt
Alexandre Burrows - Ryan Kesler - Matt Cooke
Josh Green - Tommi Santala* - Trevor Linden

Mattias Ohlund - Sami Salo
Willie Mitchell - Lukas Krajicek
Rory Fitzpatrick* - Kevin Bieksa

Roberto Luongo
Dany Sabourin

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
This is not the worst line-up in terms of depth but it is a bad lineup due to composition. We just don't have the right pieces to play the style that AV wants.

Lines like Raymond-Ebbett-Hansen might look good for a game or two but not night-in and night-out. This team just has no balance right now and it shows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->