Is this the worst line-up this team has iced in the last decade?

Nov 1, 2011
We arent the worst in the NHL

Latendresse-Smith-Alfredsson
Greening-Turris-Silfverberg
Condra-Zibanejad-Neil
Kassian O'Brien-Regin

Gonchar-Methot
Phillips-Gryba
Benoit-Wiercioch

Lehner
Bishop

checkmate

They win due to better coaching though...

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
our lineup is not the worse. we have still 5 very good defenseman. 2 highly paid goalies. Our forward core is looking bad now with injuries but we have 2 sedins. There are teams that don't even have any all stars on forward like CBJ/Ottawa/Calgary/Jets/Preds/Panthers/Yotes/Canadiens

On paper we are no worse than than Montreal Canadiens and much better once we get Kesler back.

Just they have better coaching staffs.

2007-08 Vancouver Canucks is the worse Canucks line up in last ten years.

Bryon Ritchie/Cowan/Brad Isbister/Aaron Miller/Matt Pettinger/Kris Beech/Nathan McIver/Ryan Shannon/Mike Brown

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
They win due to better coaching though...

Well, it's two against one.

DOPPELEL.jpg

Dado

We'll see where it ends up...right now I'd say it's in the running with that "fade to grey" Nonis squad...but there's still time to get things sorted.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Is the OP's memory really that short? This is just another knee-jerk reaction thread after a loss.

05/06 was disappointing, they had offense but no reliable goaltending until the offseason Bertuzzi for Luongo trade stabilized the franchise. However, the last year of Nonis, 07/08 was by far the worse roster of the past decade and had zero entertainment value. Nonis held open cap space, probably hoping to get Forsberg, but he stiffed Nonis for the Avalanche. Remember Nonis' plan shortly before he got fired? He was going to sign Fabian Brunnstrom and guarantee him top 6 minutes! :shakehead

You almost have a second line there. I would say the OP wins this one.

Naslund's late career decline was precipitous, his offense dried right up even with the Rangers. He needed to contribute offense to be worth a roster spot, because he wasn't physical or a strong defensive forward.

As for the current roster, Kesler is out with a broken foot, that doesn't help things and pushes Ebbett too far up the line-up due to a lack of a solid 3C to fill in. Injuries to key players happen, and they fill in the best they can. Kassian was out last night with a stiff back, but he's a solid top 9 guy with a lot of upside. Booth has been the biggest disappointment so far this season. Also, too many LHD and not enough RHD. They need to fix the PP and they should be fine.

Last edited:

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
That 07-08 lineup was even worse than some are saying as Brendan Morrison missed more than half the year.

I pulled up a box score from a 4-1 loss to the Blackhawks in March 2008 and from ice time and memory it looks like the lines were...

Sedin Sedin Pyatt
Raymond Kesler Burrows
Naslund Shannon Pettinger
Cowan Rypien Isbister

Mitchell Bieksa
Ohlund Salo
Edler Miller

Luongo

The Optimist

Jun 5, 2009
2754 days of hell
Don't like the product on the ice: don't watch.

The self-entitlement of some people makes me laugh. It's as if the organization owes them something and they complain incessantly when their expectations aren't met.

News flash: the NHL is a competitive league. There is no rule in place that the Canucks always win. Therefore they will have bad games, even bad seasons. Get used to it. Life isn't fair.

The sooner you accept that the happier you'll be.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
That 07-08 lineup was even worse than some are saying as Brendan Morrison missed more than half the year.

I pulled up a box score from a 4-1 loss to the Blackhawks in March 2008 and from ice time and memory it looks like the lines were...

Sedin Sedin Pyatt
Raymond Kesler Burrows
Cowan Rypien Isbister

Mitchell Bieksa
Ohlund Salo
Edler Miller

Luongo

Yeah, that's worse than now. Naslund was going through the motions at that point, and the Sedins were the only players who could have been considered true top 6 forwards. This year's Raymond and Hansen are better than any of the other players in that 2007/2008 lineup.

Shannon, Pettinger, Cowan, Rypien, Isbister barely combined for 100 NHL games the following season.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary

The self-entitlement of some people makes me laugh. It's as if the organization owes them something and they complain incessantly when their expectations aren't met.

News flash: the NHL is a competitive league. There is no rule in place that the Canucks always win. Therefore they will have bad games, even bad seasons. Get used to it. Life isn't fair.

Fans are fans and fans like to *****. It's just how it goes.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Yeah, that's worse than now. Naslund was going through the motions at that point, and the Sedins were the only players who could have been considered true top 6 forwards. This year's Raymond and Hansen are better than any of the other players in that 2007/2008 lineup.

Shannon, Pettinger, Cowan, Rypien, Isbister barely combined for 100 NHL games the following season.

Meh. At least that team had 2 centres, goaltending was good, defense was solid if not spectacular.

One thing that is positive about this team is that it is easy to fix. Kesler we already have. A 3rd line centre/offensive dman rental are affordable. AV accepts the defensemen are having mistake prone and tightens up the team D.

Last edited:

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Meh. At least that team had 2 centres, goaltending was good, defense was solid if not spectacular.

One thing that is positive about this team is that it is easy to fix. Kesler we already have. A 3rd line centre/offensive dman rental are affordable. AV accepts the defensemen are having mistake prone and tightens up the team D.

It's easy to get on MG's case about making a trade. The problem is, there are too many teams still alive right now. There are too many buyers and not enough sellers. Which teams can completely write off their playoff chances right now? Probably Florida and that's it. Teams like Buffalo, Washington, Tampa Bay, Philadelphia, Colorado, Edmonton, Calgary, Dallas, Columbus will probably drop out of the race by the deadline, but they aren't far enough out of the playoff picture to be sellers yet.

Another problem, nobody wants to take on or eat salary with the cap decreasing next season. That's obviously a problem for the Canucks, with 3.9M cap room for next season with only 14 players under contract.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA

For sure. Kesler and Raymond then were 40 point forwards at best then. Burrows ditto. Defence looks decent, although that was the season Bieksa's leg got chopped in half too.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
Raymond-Ebbett-Hansen
Higgins-Schroeder-Weise
Sestito-Lapierre-Pinizzotto

Hansen is a keeper
Higgins is fine
Booth is frustrating
Pinizzotto may be okay once he get a few games
The rest should be replaced

Last night, I'd rather have watched this team lose to the Wings:

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Kesler (splinted) Jensen
Booth (splinted) Gaunce Kassian (body cast)
Blomstrand Lain Pinizotto (or please sign Laganiere)

Bieksa Hamhuis
Tanev Edler
Corrado (or please sign Sustr) Garrison

It'd lose too, but at least it would be interesting to watch players with youthful excitement and potential

Raymond, Lapierre, Alberts, Barker, Ballard, Ebbett, Schroeder, Weise, Sestito should all be driven to the airport.

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
On Feb 28, 2006 we iced a defence of:

Allen-Bieksa(rookie)
McCarthy-Butenschon
Mojzis-Brookbank

Yeah...

medhatcanuck

Jul 8, 2010
Inside JayZ's Belly
On the up side, within tge next month well see:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
_______ - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - _____ - Hansen
Higgins - Lapierre - Wiese

Which is pretty decent if you ask me. Add Laich, Flesichmann, or Jensen and Sam Gagner or Steve Ott. Then well be gold.

LolClarkson*

Is the OP's memory really that short? This is just another knee-jerk reaction thread after a loss.

05/06 was disappointing, they had offense but no reliable goaltending until the offseason Bertuzzi for Luongo trade stabilized the franchise. However, the last year of Nonis, 07/08 was by far the worse roster of the past decade and had zero entertainment value. Nonis held open cap space, probably hoping to get Forsberg, but he stiffed Nonis for the Avalanche. Remember Nonis' plan shortly before he got fired? He was going to sign Fabian Brunnstrom and guarantee him top 6 minutes! :shakehead

Naslund's late career decline was precipitous, his offense dried right up even with the Rangers. He needed to contribute offense to be worth a roster spot, because he wasn't physical or a strong defensive forward.

As for the current roster, Kesler is out with a broken foot, that doesn't help things and pushes Ebbett too far up the line-up due to a lack of a solid 3C to fill in. Injuries to key players happen, and they fill in the best they can. Kassian was out last night with a stiff back, but he's a solid top 9 guy with a lot of upside. Booth has been the biggest disappointment so far this season. Also, too many LHD and not enough RHD. They need to fix the PP and they should be fine.

If I remember right, Naslund got 25 goals under that defensive system and Morrison went on to get another couple contracts.

LolClarkson*

Sedin Sedin Pyatt
Raymond Kesler Burrows
Cowan Rypien Isbister

Mitchell Bieksa
Ohlund Salo
Edler Miller

Luongo

Shannon did some damage in Ottawa ...

John Bender*

I agree with your stance that there will be ups and downs and that the fanbase here might need to get used to the fact the team is not that good - but I completely disagree that the organization does not owe the fans anything. I also disagree that if we don't like the product we should not watch.

As Canuck fans, we pour time and money into watching and following this club. Players on the team are all incredibly wealthy because of the fans. If the players don't perform, the fans certainly have the right to complain and demand better. As a fan of the team, I will watch and criticize them when warranted - if you don't like it, don't talk hockey with anyone and stay off the message boards.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
we need a top 6 forward or two but AV is making things worse with his dumbass moves and goaltending isnt saving the team right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad