News: Is this the most RFAs, 2 weeks before Training Camp?

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
It does feel like a lot, doesn’t it?! Some are weird, like if you were Michael McCarron, Matt Puempel or even Jordan Schwartz, what exactly are you holding out for?!

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Just shows the trajectory of the way the league is going

These young guys coming out of ELCs right away on 10 mill contracts is how we end up with lockouts (im excluding generational players such as McDavid, Crosby and Ovechkin)

Call me a dinosaur but i think theres too much stock being put into potential and that includes these boards.

The idea that were paying you today for what you did yesterday and up to today has been replaced with lets pay you today for what you MIGHT be able to do tomorrow

Bridge contracts lately have been going out the window thus making these contracts way longer to get signed

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Seems standard, maybe I'm used to it from the 90s/early 00s when guys would sit out until November sometimes during holdouts. Last year for reference:

Sep 1: Alex Wennberg
Sep 3: Anthony Duclair
Sep 5: Tyler Wotherspoon
Sep 5: Robbie Russo
Sep 6: Sam Bennett
Sep 8: Bo Horvat
Sep 11: Petteri Lindbohm
Sep 11: Damon Severson
Sep 14: David Pastrnak
Sep 15: Nikita Zadorov

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

These young guys coming out of ELCs right away on 10 mill contracts is how we end up with lockouts (im excluding generational players such as McDavid, Crosby and Ovechkin)

Call me a dinosaur but i think theres too much stock being put into potential and that includes these boards.

The idea that were paying you today for what you did yesterday and up to today has been replaced with lets pay you today for what you MIGHT be able to do tomorrow

Bridge contracts lately have been going out the window thus making these contracts way longer to get signed

Rather pay $10M for Eichel throughout his entire prime than $8M for him throughout the first half of his prime and $15M for the second half and 4 more seasons where he’s past it. GMs are being smart with the way that they are doing it.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018

There's exactly one player in the league, not including your "excluded" list, that is making $10 million out of his ELC.

Eichel is a bit of an outlier but contracts haven't really changed relative to the cap. The cap has gone up and salaries have gone up with it. It's as simple as that. But honestly, young players are worth their salary more now than ever. The league is getting younger, players are being asked to essentially lead teams in their second or third years.

I also don't see how annual salaries are going to lead to a lockout. The cap is the cap, how they allocate it among players doesn't change how much money is being spent. If anything the big issue for the next CBA is going to be contract length.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
FWIW Marek Langhammer is playing in the Czech league this year so it's really only 10 RFAs.

But really, who among those three I listed could expect a one-way deal? Schmaltz is the closest to an NHL regular but he really hasn’t done enough to be a 1-way deal.
It also could be players holding out for bigger AHL salaries on their two-way deals. Comrie is getting 175k in the AHL this year compared to just 70k last year. If he wasn't being offered 175k to start with then it made sense for him to wait until September to sign to get it.

For guys who are likely to spend most of the season in the AHL the difference of 50k or 100k is a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Giskard

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Just playing Devil's Advocate, if I were their agents I'd be angling for:

A) 1 year, 1 way deal
B) 2 year deal where the 2nd year is 1 way
C) 1 year, 2 way deal but with a decent raise for playing in the AHL (ie, somebody like Eric Gryba is getting 300K if he gets sent down)

There's not a ton of difference between signing in early August or early September, so no real harm in waiting to see if the team will budge.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Would like to see more bridges, but the current state of affairs is what it is.

Everyone is making more, so why shouldn't the players...?

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

Yet the worst contracts in the game are consistently going to UFAs.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
There's exactly one player in the league, not including your "excluded" list, that is making $10 million out of his ELC.

Eichel is a bit of an outlier but contracts haven't really changed relative to the cap. The cap has gone up and salaries have gone up with it. It's as simple as that. But honestly, young players are worth their salary more now than ever. The league is getting younger, players are being asked to essentially lead teams in their second or third years.

I also don't see how annual salaries are going to lead to a lockout. The cap is the cap, how they allocate it among players doesn't change how much money is being spent. If anything the big issue for the next CBA is going to be contract length.

Inflation is a thing.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
As for Eichel, no Sabre fan is upset about paying him 10 mil per. Hes locked up his entire prime. If he ever does leave itll be when hes on the wrong side of 30. For a guy who Is essentially a ppg with no help he is going to go off this year now that he has a legit 30 goal scorer to play with in Skinner. I expect a career season from Skinner and Eichel.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I mean.. American sports in general are notorious for f***ing over the early age years of a player, when he's at his best. I mean in baseball Tulowitzki got paid 40 million by the Rockies early in his career for 40 ish Wins Above Replacement. The Jays have paid him 60+ mil for 4 WAR over like 3 seasons during the back half of his career. It happens in hockey too. You should be paying a guy based on what he could do for you, not what he did do for you.

Reactions: glovesave_35

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I’m expecting one to sign each day from now until next weekend..on average.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
argh - 1 of my pet peeves, a topic that requires you to look elsewhere for the details behind it

here is the list of guys w key details
PLAYERAGEPOSHandedNHL GP'17-18CAP HIT'17-18

1. Jordan Schmaltz
24DRight13$925,000

2. Miles Wood
22LWLeft76$925,000

3. William Nylander
22RW, CRight82$894,167

4. Sam Reinhart
22RW, CRight82$894,167

5. Nick Ritchie
22LWLeft76$894,167

6. Darnell Nurse
23DLeft82$863,333

7. Michael McCarron
23RW, CRight18$863,333

8. Shea Theodore
23DLeft61$863,333

9. Joshua Morrissey
23DLeft81$863,333

10. Matt Puempel
25LWLeft0$725,000

11. Marek Langhamer
24GLeft1$660,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

... carry on ...

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Seven pretty meaningful guys. I think it is a mix of some good news being there and media/internet attention to the topic.

Someone

Jul 11, 2007

Thing is, signing a young guy to an 8 year deal for "market value" is how you end uo with contracts like Hall, Schiefele, MacKinnon. Paying vets for what they've done is how you end up with Lucic etc. Contracts. Certainly the gambles don't always work, but locking up young core players is pretty important.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

This is accurate.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I have to wonder how much Bob Murray influenced the other GMs when he let Anaheim's season start without giving Rakell and Lindholm new contracts and ended up getting both on really good deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad