Is this the first time ever when Europeans dominate the NBA?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I’m by no means a basketball fan and I might be completely wrong on this, but I can’t help but notice European players are rising up to the very top of the NBA and are considered the best of the best.

I do remember there were great players like Dirk, Tony Parker and Gasol, but I don’t know if they were just as dominant as the guys like Jokic, Doncic, Giannis now. Plus the best ever NBA prospect coming out of France.

Is this the best time in NBA basketball for Europeans?

I found this article talking about it:

Last edited:

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I think it's more the global scouting of NBA has grown and the ability of players to join the NBA from other places has increased.

The players from the former Yugoslavia have ALWAYS been good. One of the reasons the Dream Team happened was because Yugoslavia was winning World Championships.

They just couldn't come over to the NBA before the Iron Curtain fell. Then you Vlade Divac, Toni Kukoc, Drazen Petrovic, Dino Rada, Predrag Stojakovic, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Goran Dragic, and now Jokic.

Reactions: Voight

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Define “dominate.” Only three franchises at the moment are currently centered around European players. Milwaukee, Dallas, and Denver. The NHL is more European than the NBA.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Define “dominate.” Only three franchises at the moment are currently centered around European players. Milwaukee, Dallas, and Denver. The NHL is more European than the NBA.

The NHL is more European than the NBA.... but a large part of that is the NHL being 23 guys on 32 teams, and the NBA basically being 10 guys on 30 teams. Yeah, NBA rosters are bigger than 10, but the rotations aren't and you don't need to scour the globe for roster spots 11-15 when there's plenty of college guys you can use to play in blowouts.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Utah as well and soon to be San Antiono. If we want to add international players overall, they have the last 5 MVP trophies

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing a North America vs World game at the NBA ASG, instead of the regular teams.

North America likely wins, but IMO theres enough talent on the world side that they wouldn't wipe the floor with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad