Is this the end of Zetterberg?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Many of us wondered how the Red Wings would have looked last year if Zetterberg wasn't so damn awesome. We're getting our answer.
Zetterberg is on a 22-game scoreless streak. That's more than a quarter of the season. In 22 games, he's got a 0-8-8 -6 line. He's playing 19:12/night.
The Red Wings are 7-10-5 over that spell.

Obviously, nobody expects him to Sheahan the rest of the season. But assuming his production stays low, it seems easy to imagine that Zetterberg will just quit at the end of the season. Hopefully he does the LTIR thing and the NHL doesn't hold his pre-season comments against the Red Wings. If the Wings are unable to get the LTIR, the cap penalty will be rough for a few years.

But I think it could be time to start thinking about the end of Zetterberg as a Detroit Red Wing.

What would that mean for Detroit next year?
It might open a spot for Rasmussen at C.

Larkin
Nielsen
Rasmussen
Glendening

But does Rasmussen enter the NHL as a C?

Whether Z LTIRS or not, it will open up cap space, especially if Mrazek is allowed to leave.
Will Holland go out and sign Jack Johnson?
Maybe Johnson and Rick Nash?

Nash is still only 33. Johnson is just 30.
With the cap going up to $80M, you could fit both if you don't overpay Larkin/Mantha/Athanasiou.

You might even be able to make a pitch for Tavares.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's outrageously early to give any consideration to Rasmussen wearing a letter. And if Z hangs them up, I see it as one more reason to make a clean break with Holland and hire a new GM, so I don't know how much spending would be done in free agency.

At the moment, Larkin, Abdelkader, and Kronwall are guys I'd expect to contend for a C.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It's outrageously early to give any consideration to Rasmussen wearing a letter. And if Z hangs them up, I see it as one more reason to make a clean break with Holland and hire a new GM, so I don't know how much spending would be done in free agency.

At the moment, Larkin, Abdelkader, and Kronwall are guys I'd expect to contend for a C.

I don't think the question is if Rasmussen would wear the C but if he would start his career in the NHL as a center.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Yeah I think we all just witnessed his downfall this November. Pretty good career, gotta wonder how many more years he's going to stick around. Probably not many.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The end of Z as a full time, top line center? Probably. The end of his career? Only if he's unhappy with the organization, imo.

He's old and should be getting less icetime and softer minutes, along with playing more on the wing. Wouldn't say it's the end necessarily, but hard to believe he's going to put together many stretches of #1C caliber play anymore.

This, so much this. We pulled Nielsen in to be a top6 center, we should be playing him there. Go Larkin-Nielsen-Z down the middle and give them ice time appropriately. Z should be getting the Hull treatment at this point, sheltered a bit on a lower line with some kids who can carry the heavy lifting.

Reactions: lomekian

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's my boy, so I hope not. Play him 15-16 minutes on the 3rd line. Let young D Boss run the top line.

Trade Nielsen at the deadline, maybe retain a mil or so. Then run Larkin-Ras-Z-Glenny down the middle next year. See what the kids got.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It really depends on what kind of role he's willing to accept. He can go Jagr, where he's willing to play any role they ask of him as long as he's on the PP. But he can also go Lidstrom, where he knows he's had a great career and doesn't want to become a depth guy.

This does feel like a passing of the torch season. Larkin and Mantha are becoming the leaders of the team, it seems like.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He's old and should be getting less icetime and softer minutes, along with playing more on the wing. Wouldn't say it's the end necessarily, but hard to believe he's going to put together many stretches of #1C caliber play anymore.
Agreed.

To me the big issue is he's playing 19 and a half minutes a game against top lines as a 37 year old who was never particularly fast.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Hey, by C i mean Center.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's my boy, so I hope not. Play him 15-16 minutes on the 3rd line. Let young D Boss run the top line.

Trade Nielsen at the deadline, maybe retain a mil or so. Then run Larkin-Ras-Z-Glenny down the middle next year. See what the kids got.

Well, Blashill (and possibly Holland) are fighting for their jobs. So this is what we get. This is another good reason the message from the top down needs to be the priority is the future, as opposed to the present.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Well, Blashill (and possibly Holland) are fighting for their jobs. So this is what we get. This is another good reason the message from the top down needs to be the priority is the future, as opposed to the present.

Absolutely correct, and proving once again why you cannot simultaneously serve two different masters.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London

If Blash is fighting for his job, he should stop punching himself in the face with his decision making.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If Blash is fighting for his job, he should stop punching himself in the face with his decision making.

Not saying he is doing a good job (he's not), but most coaches are going to lean on veterans in that same situation.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

He never said that Raz would be given a C or a letter, He said that Raz would probably get a Center position.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI

I dont see Kronwall being here either.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Kronwall has zero shot of contending for the C, He only has one more year left after this. And then will retire maybe he calls it quits next year don't know. If Z were to get dealt i could see Abby get the C next then Larkin.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
At his age is pretty clear he's never going to approach his previous level of play. I think he probably sticks around one more year for the nice payday and then retires. Hopefully Holland doesn't trade his contract, I don't expect that to happen given the recapture penalty but it's yet another reason to send Holland on his way as soon as this season ends.

I have no problem with letting Ras play, I've viewed him as a reach at where he was drafted so I don't have high hopes. Run him out there next session and see how it goes.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Kronwall has zero shot of contending for the C, He only has one more year left after this. And then will retire maybe he calls it quits next year don't know. If Z were to get dealt i could see Abby get the C next then Larkin.
Justin Abdelkator the captain of the Detroit Red Wings. Read this over a couple times and then think about what you just said

Reactions: TheMule93

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad