Is this the Brassard we're going to get?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not comfortable with Brassard as 2C going forward. Would not pay him Bryan Little money. Would keep him as a 3C if he doesn't ask for crazy money. Might have some value to trade for a LW or a D to a center hungry team.

Weird player

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
He's a creative offensive centerman with a tendency to disappear.

The problem is that he's a non-factor in terms of forechecking and physical play, so when his offense is missing, he's not only ineffective, he's a void on whatever line he's playing on.

For Brassard to be an effective player, he needs to be playing his best. There's not much room for in-between. We've seen how great his offense can be, but if he'll be able to gain some consistency will depend if he solidifies a role or becomes a new problem to solve.

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
Once Nash gets back, I'd be real curious to see what a Zuccarello-Brassard-Miller line could accomplish. Zucc has been a creative catalyst for mostly every line he's been on this season. Zucc has had chemistry with Stepan and Kreider, but Nash's speed could be an adequate replacement in order to bump Zucc down.

Playing Boyle/Pyatt/Pouliot/Dorsett with Brassard really accomplishes nothing. I've always been a supporter of pairing skill guys with skill guys, grit with grit etc. Brassard-Nash, even when they were in Columbus, was never truly a good combination. The problem is, Brass is likely our 7/8th best forward, depending on who you asked, so he gets squeezed out of playing with the top-six, but is probably slightly too good to be playing with the grinders in the bottom, hence, he's maddeningly inconsistent.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
I think Brassard will pick it up a little. I don't buy the "bad linemates" excuse. The "once everyone's healthy..." argument I consider a bit naive. You'll have your full group of forwards all healthy at the same time perhaps 10-20 games a season, if you're lucky. Nearly all teams have key players missing significant time every season - I'd like to remind you, in the 2011-12 season, we were ridiculously lucky with our health, while everyone else wasn't.

The issue I have is this: If you buyout Richards ( which I think we will), do you qualify a streaky, 45 pointish Brassard (that's what I think he'll be)? Not qualifying him gives you Stepan-Miller-Lindberg-X down the middle. Yikes. First step is to re-sign Boyle, that improves the issue a bit. One of our AHLers (I consider Miller an AHLer here) HAS to improve significantly to be 3rd line center.
Are we going to be going after an UFA (Stastny, who I'm certain would cost 6m$+ and demand 3 years+?) again or are we giving Brassard the opportunity to be our 2nd line center?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Half of the team took ten games to get it going. Unfortunately for Brassard, he was beaten to the punch by a couple other centers. And now he has to find consistency with offensively inept linemates.

He's streaky, as everyone else has said. I think he picks up the pace fairly soon.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I was hoping he would be quietly shipped out before talks start picking up about his game. If you count on a guy to check, and he can't do his job, then he sits. No one makes excuses for him.

If you count on a guy to score, and he doesn't, then you have to find other options. Brassard to me is obviously highly skilled, but where is the production to match that skill?

People whine about who he's playing with, but it's a play making center's job to make his wingers better. I am hoping AV practices Miller at center and see what he can do lining up in the 3rd or 4th slot to see what he can do.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
His liberated aren't exactly offensive dynamos either, regardless in still laughing at the people who said this guy was surely going to score upwards of 70 points.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think Brassard will pick it up a little. I don't buy the "bad linemates" excuse. The "once everyone's healthy..." argument I consider a bit naive. You'll have your full group of forwards all healthy at the same time perhaps 10-20 games a season, if you're lucky. Nearly all teams have key players missing significant time every season - I'd like to remind you, in the 2011-12 season, we were ridiculously lucky with our health, while everyone else wasn't.

The issue I have is this: If you buyout Richards ( which I think we will), do you qualify a streaky, 45 pointish Brassard (that's what I think he'll be)? Not qualifying him gives you Stepan-Miller-Lindberg-X down the middle. Yikes. First step is to re-sign Boyle, that improves the issue a bit. One of our AHLers (I consider Miller an AHLer here) HAS to improve significantly to be 3rd line center.
Are we going to be going after an UFA (Stastny, who I'm certain would cost 6m$+ and demand 3 years+?) again or are we giving Brassard the opportunity to be our 2nd line center?

That's cause the 11-12 team had guys playing hurt and showing up every night. That team was tough as well as a little lucky. Well I also think other teams weren't throwing heavy hits or taking runs at the Ranger players because of how tough they were. I think that helps with team health.

Icing a genuine set of deterrents. No one is going to take runs at your better players if they know they are going to face retribution. I think it was more that than just a little luck.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
As long as John Moore becomes a top 4 D NHL D,it doesn't matter what Brassard and Dorsett do. Did anyone see the AV show last night with Bill Pidto? MSG micd Moore. Pidto asked AV about Moore. AV said he's a gem. Great skater. A lot of potential. Still a young player. Columbus isn't re-signing Gaborik. They will probably trade him at the deadline. If that team falls out of the playoff race,they will trade him. Jarmo wants more from Gaborik before giving him a new contract. Gaborik isn't changing at age of 32.

Teams always need help in the middle. See what's available for Brassard. He has a $3.7M QO. Give it to him. He files for arbitration. Settle on a one year deal for $3.7M or a little higher. He becomes a group III in 2015. Make him play for his supper.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Even a Brassard with 35 + points as a third center means there is going to be some production out of your bottom 6--something we really didn't have last year. I think he's capable of more but he's not playing with the best guys. Of the guys he's been playing with Pouliot, Pyatt, Dorsett etc.--he's the best player. Pouliot is a really talented guy but he's a bit of a **** up. Reminds me a bit of Marcel Hossa--you'd wonder why he couldn't more.

Right at the moment it looks like we've kind of righted the ship. We have two lines playing with chemistry--Stepan-Zuccarello-Kreider and Richards-Callahan-Hagelin. Brassard's line is not doing great but it can't be taken for granted either. The team is just starting to score more goals. The picture isn't nearly as grim as it was a couple weeks ago.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Brassard is all sizzle and no steak. Hes been that way his whole career. Goes hand in hand with the pattern this fanbase has shown of looking at a track record and insisting it will turn out differently.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If we're not breaking up our top two lines, you play Brassard with Nash and Pouliot if and when Rick comes back.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Brassard is all sizzle and no steak. Hes been that way his whole career. Goes hand in hand with the pattern this fanbase has shown of looking at a track record and insisting it will turn out differently.

Maybe you've forgotten but Brassard was one of our best players in last years playoffs. Richards wasn't.

If we're not breaking up our top two lines, you play Brassard with Nash and Pouliot if and when Rick comes back.

Agree and hopefully that will be sooner than later. If we could get 3 lines that are somewhat dangerous that would be something.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
But I think that, despite Brassards relatively slow pace, we're all happy that both Richards and Stepan are above 60 point pace.

Richards looks like he took a time machine back five years. When that happens offensive opportunities for Brassard drop in number.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Maybe you've forgotten but Brassard was one of our best players in last years playoffs. Richards wasn't..

Right, and isn't it amazing how a handful of games can totally change the view on a player? You expect players to pick it up soon after a trade -- but eventually, things regress back to the mean.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
What am I missing? He has looked like he is still trying to find his game. He is not, nor ever will be, a ppg player so he will go through these streaks of not getting points or being unimpressive. If he finishes the year with 45-50 point will people be all that upset?

It is still extremely early on in the season, a 2 point game immediately changes his projection from (7/16 *82) 36 points to (9/17 *82) 43 points. HUGE swing. What happens if he goes on and scores (1) point in 4 straight games? (11/20 *82) 45 points.

He is streaky. We all knew this. Just like most players who hover around 45-50 points and I can almost guarantee he will hover around that again this year. That's still a valuable piece to a winning team.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
What am I missing? He has looked like he is still trying to find his game. He is not, nor ever will be, a ppg player so he will go through these streaks of not getting points or being unimpressive. If he finishes the year with 45-50 point will people be all that upset?

It is still extremely early on in the season, a 2 point game immediately changes his projection from (7/16 *82) 36 points to (9/17 *82) 43 points. HUGE swing. What happens if he goes on and scores (1) point in 4 straight games? (11/20 *82) 45 points.

He is streaky. We all knew this. Just like most players who hover around 45-50 points and I can almost guarantee he will hover around that again this year. That's still a valuable piece to a winning team.

Hes streaky, doesnt produce at a solid rate, is prone to bone headed plays at times, is soft, and adds almost nothing else to the team if he isnt producing offensively.

The Rangers already have too many players like that in the middle of their lineup.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Another thing about Brassard, you would have no idea that he was playing his first time against his former team that traded him last night. There's not much intensity in his game. Dubi and Arty played with authority and were amped up, and even Gabby had a few good shifts.

I can live with 45 point players who contribute when they aren't scoring - PKing, forechecking, wreaking havoc with their speed, etc. Brassard doesn't do any of that, and he is struggling to win faceoffs this year. He would be a more valuable player if he wasn't so one-dimensional.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think people are getting on Brassard a little too much here...he fights pretty well along the boards for the puck and he tries to make plays. Sometimes he gets too cute with the puck and yeah he's not a real grinder along the boards, but he works hard and if he's going to be the Rangers 3C this year then the Rangers are in a pretty good spot. If your 3C can put up 40-50 points then that's good depth and I think other parts of his game are a lot better than people are giving him credit for (or at least the effort is there)

Right now Stepan and Richards are outplaying him, but they SHOULD be because honestly they're better players. But with some more consistent linemates (Pyatt and Pouliot are kind of "eh" with him right now and Miller is young and inexperienced) I'm pretty sure he'd be at his career average.

Again, if Stepan and Richards are playing like legit 1 and 2 centers, then Brassard as 3C is good for this team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad