Speculation: Is this the Best Caps Roster ever?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Going into the season, everyone had the Caps in the playoffs. Either top team in the east, or at worst, top 3-4. That's only been expected a few times in their history.

The team has literally no "real" holes. Their C depth is as good as ever. Their D is the best it's had in the Ovey era. They have respected and organized coaching (maybe not dynamic enough). They have one of the best 5 goalies in the league. They have terrific top end talent and they have burgeoning youth that can/will improve.

The team literally has it all. So much so that their 9-4-1 is absolutely flying under the radar of the NHL, as the Habs hot start, coupled with the Rangers and Pens streaking out, has this Caps team under-appreciated. They are a point out of first in the Metro, all while experimenting with playing style and line combos quite a bit.

So simple,yes or no. Is this the Franchise's best roster ever? I can't say what the end result will be....no one can with actual clarity, but the parts are there, IMO.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
On paper? Yes.

They aren't playing like it yet, though. Lots of things that deserve the blame there. They are shuffling the lines alot as they should, to get more options for Playoffs. The World Cup too, most of the top guns missed nearly the entire pre-season. Combinations aren't there yet. Different system which is still too early to judge.

Re-visit this in 2-3 months and you'll get a better answer, but on paper this is the best roster they've ever had.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It's close. They don't have a true #1 defenseman like they did with 2008-2010 Mike Green or the same Ovechkin and Backstrom, but they are deeper now than I can ever remember. That being said top end talent, especially on the blue line, is worth a lot and Mike Green was a legitimate Norris contender for two seasons.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
This is the best roster ever in Caps history but it won't improve our postseason results. Trotz is driving a Porsche 918 Spyder like it's a Ford Focus.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Maybe the Porsche body has a VW insides and it's not the coach?

Or a bit of both? Come on CCF, you watch the games like me and you see the lack of structure in this team when it comes to passing, driving possession in the offensive zone and attacking on the rush. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show this lack of structure.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Alexander Semin was criminally underrated around the league. He was a top tier first line RW who happened to be on the second line and was able to carry that line on most nights despite the center.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
And it wasn't leeching off of powerplay chances like some of the RWs the Caps have had after him. Semin scored 30EVG in 2010. Only Ovechkin and Crosby had more.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
2010 Semin was a beast, only rivalled by 2016 Kuznetsov in terms of being able to carry the 2nd line and putting up huge numbers at ES.
But the 2010 defense was putrid and no Holtby back then.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
2012-13 Semin was fantastic in Carolina as well. It's unfortunate he had concussion issues otherwise he might still be in the NHL.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
2012-13 Semin was fantastic in Carolina as well. It's unfortunate he had concussion issues otherwise he might still be in the NHL.

Two concussions and a broken wrist that never healed completely despite having surgery. His health has always been an issue. You won't find a bigger Semin fan on this board than me, but I'm glad the Caps weren't the ones to sign that monster $35M contract.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
And it wasn't leeching off of powerplay chances like some of the RWs the Caps have had after him. Semin scored 30EVG in 2010. Only Ovechkin and Crosby had more.

Semin was awesome.

But. Behind Green....who had terrific offensive numbers but was still the Mike a Green that made bonehead plays in his own end... Morrisonn, Schultz, Poti, Pothier, Corvo.

Compared to Carlson, Niskanen, Alzner, Orpik, Orlov, and Schmidt?

I'd argue Carlson is a better all around D man than Green was. Alzner and Niskanen are worlds better than anyone else they had. Orlov and Orpik are equivalent, if not better. Schmidt as well.

I'd be hard pressed to take any of their bottom 5 (behind Green) over any of the Caps 6. Maybe Poti over some of them. But that's it.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Like I said, the 2010 team had holes. The 2017 team is a more "complete" team than the 2010 team. But the 2010 team had a much better defined strength, and played to their strength. And by asserting their style of play, it ended up covering up for some of the flaws on their roster. If the two teams faced each other, I'd definitely bet on the 2010 team. Especially considering the times we've seen this incarnation struggle with speed.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
2010 Ovechkin >>> 2017 Ovechkin
2010 Backstrom >> 2017 Backstrom

I'd probably take 2017 over 2010 but it's very close. But I'd consider last years team better than this one, I think Kuznetsov and Holtby had career years last year and Ovechkin and Backstrom won't be as good this year.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It may come down to what flavor of Kuz will this years team have.

This years team is definitely up there, but the backend of Orpik Schmidt Chorney and Orlov don't hold up well to other years. Ovi can only do so much, in creating any roster he is on, the best. Teams ft Bondra Gartner Pivo Rids Langway and Stevens are in the running.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Need to think long and hard. One 80's and one 90's team immediately came to mind, but I need to give it some consideration.

you can make a case that when they had Langway, Stevens, Hatcher and Larry Murphy on D. That's 3 hall of famers and an all star. They had Garnter. A 4th hall of famer. They also had Dale Hunter and Gustafsson on that team. Dave Christian. If they had Mike Liut that season, they win the Cup. But Peeters......

Anyway. Do that Caps have 4 HHOF'rs plus an all star on this team? They had Ridley and Miller and Pivonka on that team too. Garry Galley and Grant Ledyard as the 5 and 6 d. That was a great team

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
you can make a case that when they had Langway, Stevens, Hatcher and Larry Murphy on D. That's 3 hall of famers and an all star. They had Garnter. A 4th hall of famer. They also had Dale Hunter and Gustafsson on that team. Dave Christian. If they had Mike Liut that season, they win the Cup. But Peeters......

Anyway. Do that Caps have 4 HHOF'rs plus an all star on this team? They had Ridley and Miller and Pivonka on that team too. Garry Galley and Grant Ledyard as the 5 and 6 d. That was a great team

Which year are you discussing? 1986? I loved that team. Offense and G weren't good enough, but still. Anyway--

Ovechkin. Backstrom. Carlson. Holtby.

We will see where they end up. Ovechkin trumps all of them, and Stevens and Murphy were not in HOF form when with the Caps. They were Kuznetsov and Alzner form. Maybe Niskanen and Oshie will be all stars.

Dunno.m

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad