Movies: Is this going to be the most competitive year for best actor at the Oscars in recent memory?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Of all of these movies I've only seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood so far, but you can get a sense for how things are going to play out based on critical response and just general reputation.

Heavy-hitters that have already won

Tom Hanks - A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Leonardo DiCaprio - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Robert De Niro - The Irishman

Heavy-hitters that have been nominated and are building a "due" narrative

Joaquin Phoenix - Joker
Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
Christian Bale - Ford v Ferrari
Matt Damon - Ford v Ferrari

"Reclamation project" actors that would make a good story if they won

Adam Sandler - Uncut Gems
Antonio Banderas - Pain and Glory

Up and coming actors

Adam Driver - Marriage Story
Robert Pattinson - The Lighthouse

These are just a handful of actors that could be up for a nomination. There are other big name actors that have been nominated and/or won like Gary Oldman, Timothee Chalamet and Eddie Redmayne but I haven't heard as much buzz around them. I feel like this year is tough to whittle down nominees let alone a winner.

Reactions: Wrigley and kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Another name for that list: Jonathan Pryce in The Two Popes.

If there was any justice in the world, and there isn't, Stellen Skarsgard would be in the discussion for Hope.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Too early to tell. We have this discussion every couple of years and then see the movies and then things go sideways

I haven't seen any of the performances in best actor discussions, but I generally agree. We'll need to see how performances actually land with audiences.

I do think this fall is lining up to look pretty good for more adult oriented original films, after a very franchise heavy first part of the year. There seems to be a lot of star driven films that may break out a bit and give some decent options in theatres.

Reactions: Wrigley

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I haven't seen any of the performances in best actor discussions, but I generally agree. We'll need to see how performances actually land with audiences.

I do think this fall is lining up to look pretty good for more adult oriented original films, after a very franchise heavy first part of the year. There seems to be a lot of star driven films that may break out a bit and give some decent options in theatres.
Early reviews are out for all of these except The Irishman though, I think you can already get a sense.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
NO Stellen Skarsgard. :tmi:
What's sort of treacherous f***ery is this? What could you possibly not like about Stellen Skarsgard? You must have him confused with his lookalike Justin Bieber.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
What's sort of treacherous ****ery is this? What could you possibly not like about Stellen Skarsgard? You must have him confused with his lookalike Justin Bieber.
LOL. I don't know why. I really don't. Truth be told, I have an irrational dislike for a LOT of actors.

Who is that actor you dislike but you have no reason for it?

You mentioned him once and I agreed, but my memory is awful.

Edit : I THINK it was Jason Clarke.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
LOL. I don't know why. I really don't. Truth be told, I have an irrational dislike for a LOT of actors.

Who is that actor you dislike but you have no reason for it?

You mentioned him once and I agreed, but my memory is awful.

Edit : I THINK it was Jason Clarke.
You must be right because I really do feel that way about Clarke. My immediate reaction couldn't have been more typical: "Yeah, but he deserves it." :shakehead

I also thought of Paul Giamatti, but in his case I can grudgingly admit when he has given a good performance.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
You must be right because I really do feel that way about Clarke. My immediate reaction couldn't have been more typical: "Yeah, but he deserves it." :shakehead

I also thought of Paul Giamatti, but in his case I can grudgingly admit when he has given a good performance.
I like P.G.

We all have someone (in my case many actors) we don't like for reasons we can't put our finger on. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad