Is this Dustin Byfuglien hit suspension-worthy? (NBC sports)

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Wow some people...so what im getting from this thread is as long as a player goes in as the third man its ok to hit him from behind in a very dangerous position. That's a great logic to teach kids...

Its to bad that Donald Brasher wasn't a 3rd man in so at least Mcsorley wouldn't have been suspened for swinging his stick at Brashers head right

Theres so many ways to go after a player whos a 3rd man in, hitting him from behind with your stick isn't one

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
it wasn't ideal but getting ragdolled to the ice or dragged down (worst case, with Byfuglien on top of him) would have been okay and both could have ended up with an injured Carrick as well.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Wow some people...so what im getting from this thread is as long as a player goes in as the third man its ok to hit him from behind in a very dangerous position. That's a great logic to teach kids...

Its to bad that Donald Brasher wasn't a 3rd man in so at least Mcsorley wouldn't have been suspened for swinging his stick at Brashers head right

Theres so many ways to go after a player whos a 3rd man in, hitting him from behind with your stick isn't one
It’s not ok, it’s against the rules. Hence why a 2 min minor was called

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Discipline the action and not the result. It’s Interference, Cross Check, Check from Behind and Boarding all in one go. Not to mention the Boarding/Check from Behind and Cross Check are flirting with Majors. No idea how a player with a prior supplementary discipline gets no games.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yes,that was dangerous as hell. Scheifele already threw a late hit. Carrick, pushed him for it and Byfuglien comes in with a hard crosscheck to the back near the neck.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
:facepalm: it is a dirty hit and if you think that is a "clean" play then you really are a piece of work.
EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS A BAD PERSON AND THAT"S A FACT!!

lol puh-lease. 2-minute cross-check at the most.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014

No it's not ok, it's against the rules. That's why he receieved a penalty on the play.

volcom92886

Feb 23, 2009
So Cal
Yes,that was dangerous as hell. Scheifele already threw a late hit. Carrick, pushed him for it and Byfuglien comes in with a hard crosscheck to the back near the neck.

Exactly how I saw it, based on his history Byfuglien deserved more than 2 minutes

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS A BAD PERSON AND THAT"S A FACT!!

lol puh-lease. 2-minute cross-check at the most.
Your comment eludes to the fact that you are perfectly ok with a player cross-checking another player from behind square in the numbers. If you don't see that is a problem then that is an inner issue.

Reactions: FanSince72

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Your comment eludes to the fact that you are perfectly ok with a player cross-checking another player from behind square in the numbers. If you don't see that is a problem then that is an inner issue.
I'm not "perfectly okay" with it. It's against the rules and he received a penalty on the play for the action. Cup-checking someone or slashing someone in the arm on purpose is also not okay, it's a penalty and a player should be penalized for it. Byfuglien cross-checked the guy, cross-checking is a penalty, so he received a penalty....

Scheiffele made a late hit on the Stars player, Carrick came in and took a shot at Scheiffele, so Buff came in and took a shot at Carrick (likely only seeing the shot on Scheiffele). Unlucky for Carrick, he took a shot at a superstar player whose teammate is 6 foot 5, 260 pounds and directly behind him.

Stop trying to take some moral high ground because you disagree with me.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Sure. people speed all the time too and there's a reasonable expectation they won't crash. it SHOULD be one of the things you think about when you enter a scrum even if it's a remote possibility.
Accidents are ACCIDENTS. He inteneded to hit. Surely he knew what hitting or shoving a player from behind could do, or see how close to the boards he was. There’s really nothing here that makes it anything but a pos move

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Based on the League’s history of leniency towards hits from behind, but also because I don’t think this was that severe.
The intent was there. A crosscheck from behind into the boards. Well after the whistle I maybe add. This is the most dangerous hit in hockey. Ive seen a player get paralyzed on a hit similar to this.
Thus should be probably be a suspension. But like I said earlier the league is focusing on Tom Wilson. Everything else goes.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
The intent was there. A crosscheck from behind into the boards. Well after the whistle I maybe add. This is the most dangerous hit in hockey. Ive seen a player get paralyzed on a hit similar to this.
Thus should be probably be a suspension. But like I said earlier the league is focusing on Tom Wilson. Everything else goes.
Yep. It’s all about PR, they don’t actually care about player safety as much as creating the illusion that they do.

It’s politics, punishing multiple players differently for the same thing based on public reaction (worse if it actually resulted in injury) and how popular that player is (DomiVsMarchand sucker punching a player who hadn’t wanted to fight)

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Intent to do what, exactly? and how do you know the "intent was there"?

Uncle Bill

Know it all
Sep 21, 2011

I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone say it was okay. It wasn’t. Had Carrick not stuck his nose into someone else’s skirmish, chances are the situation doesn’t escalate. Brashear/mcsorely are red herrings. And completely irrelevant.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone say it was okay. It wasn’t. Had Carrick not stuck his nose into someone else’s skirmish, chances are the situation doesn’t escalate. Brashear/mcsorely are red herrings. And completely irrelevant.

Read some of comments in this thread. It's pretty sad

Yeah Brasher incident is no where near the same, I was over exaggerating

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Then what is the point of "Intent to injure" in the rule book if people like you are going to play dumb when you know damn well what their intention was? His intention was to send him head first into the boards because he is a f***ing dirty player.

helax

General Hockey Fan
Apr 2, 2013
Removing that kind of "behavior" from the game does not make NHL hockey softer. The guy he cross-checked could easily plant his head on the edge of the board which would have resulted in a serious injury. Just luck that didn't happen.
Short suspension seems in order.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Accidents are ACCIDENTS. He inteneded to hit. Surely he knew what hitting or shoving a player from behind could do, or see how close to the boards he was. There’s really nothing here that makes it anything but a pos move

he was knowingly engaging in risky behavior. I mean hockey is inherently risky the way it is. you engage in something outside the realm of the rules (idgaf if people do it all the time--see the speeding post) and your risk goes up. no, it doesn't mean it wasn't a pos move but you sort of expose yourself to an escalating scale of POS moves by engaging in post whistle shenanigans.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Illegally crosscheck the guy into the boards. It wasnt accidental and it wasnt a hockey play. It was intentional. That's what intent is. Can't believe I had to spell that out for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad