Is this Dustin Byfuglien hit suspension-worthy? (NBC sports)

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Penalty yes, suspension no. C'mon guys.

Have a feeling Jets-Stars is going to be a huge rivalry this season.

Lowry-Ritchie in the spin cycle when scrapping. Makes me dizzy. Stawp!

Reactions: 204hockey

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Going into the boards is extremely dangerous and to have a big man like Buff push you is bush league. It was a lucky outcome for both guys and the league in general that nothing bad happened.

Just yesterday on CTV news I seen this - Noah Trulsen passed away on Oct. 3 during an adult recreational league game in Langley, B.C. Trulsen was heading to the bench for a change when he fell and hit his head on the boards. Very tragic news, sad day for the family.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/gut-w...after-hockey-player-dies-on-the-ice-1.4124707

Reactions: dkhockey

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
wtf... no... this is not suspension worthy... It's barely even worthy of a 2-minute cross-checking call, IF that. (I wouldn't even call it a penalty).

Also, if Carrick wants to be the 3rd man in and throw a shot at Scheiffele then he should be ready for the 4th man (Buff) to give him a shot as well.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
The play was dead which makes it worse. They'd best give it some attention.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Going into the boards is extremely dangerous and to have a big man like Buff push you is bush league. It was a lucky outcome for both guys and the league in general that nothing bad happened.

Just yesterday on CTV news I seen this - Noah Trulsen passed away on Oct. 3 during an adult recreational league game in Langley, B.C. Trulsen was heading to the bench for a change when he fell and hit his head on the boards. Very tragic news, sad day for the family.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/gut-w...after-hockey-player-dies-on-the-ice-1.4124707

Yeah, I was concussed after blacking out and not being able to feel my extremities for about 25 seconds in my very first game of full contact hockey. Some big-ass 12 year old thought it would be fun to board the hell out of an undersized defenseman now that we were allowed to hit. Really changes your perspective on a lot of these incidents, and I was really lucky to not suffer any severe injury there.

I think this should absolutely be a suspension. It's a dangerous-as-hell play that would be 2 or even 5 between the whistles (when a player is at least aware that he might be hit), and Byfuglien did it after the whistle to a guy who did not know he was coming, in an altercation he wasn't involved in. It's one thing to come grab or jab a dude who's going at it with your teammate, it's another thing to blast him headfirst into the boards from behind when he's already scuffling with someone else and doesn't see you.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Its stupid by Buff but what is the Dallas player thinking? You know Buff is behind you so you get involved as the 3rd man in another scrum and goes after Scheifele. He was asking for Byfuglien to jump in because he had no reason to go in as the 3rd man in that scrum between Hanzal (i think?) and Scheifele.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Its stupid by Buff but what is the Dallas player thinking? You know Buff is behind you so you get involved as the 3rd man in another scrum and goes after Scheifele. He was asking for Byfuglien to jump in because he had no reason to go in as the 3rd man in that scrum between Hanzal (i think?) and Scheifele.
I have no problem with Byfuglien confront him but dont crosscheck him from behind into the boards. That is the most dangerous hit in hockey. If the guy was seriously injured on the play then everyone would want him crucified. A suspension shouldn't only be handed out if the player is injured.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
man the internet sure allows alot of sjw a platform to whine and moan with. penalty sure. suspension ? lol then give carrick a 3rd man in suspension going after our best player and not expect someone to run you head first into the boards ? ya not on buffs watch buddy

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Normally I'd say no, but because Byfuglien has tried to decapitate a player in the past and was suspended for it, I think it warrants a fine.

The play was dead. It's a scrum. There's no need to come in and bury a guy from behind with your stick like that. Byfuglien is a giant. Grab him and ragdoll him, give him a chance to drop the gloves and beat the snot out of him.

A player's first instinct in that situation shouldn't be to bury a guy from behind on a crosscheck, especially when that player is 6'5" and 260 lbs.

Equinsu Ocha

Oct 21, 2017
Winston Salem, NC
The Dallas player (I forgot his name already!) was in that "zone" - a few feet from the boards. The zone that is talked about that if you're lining up a player who is in that 3 feet or so from the boards, you might wanna think of pulling up as best as you can, so they don't go head first into the boards.

Wasn't there even some talk about a "warning track" on the ice? Coloring the ice from the boards out to three feet a light yellow? Or maybe that was just an idea on here on HF.

Buff had time not to hit.
Buff had time to realize the Dallas player was in the dangerous zone.

Maybe a game. Maybe.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Definitely dirty, he’s way bigger and stronger too, coming from behind at that distance from the boards... players with less size difference have been thrown down like that before

But the league only cares if it results in injury, or if the offender is unpopular when deciding on supplemental punishment, so this makes sense.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
nope. carrick put himself in a dangerous position by jumping in as a third man in someone else's scrum against on of the other team's best players. i mean sure it would have been "better" maybe to just let it slide and go out of his way to wreck Seguin at some point but heat of the moment and all.

Reactions: Uncle Bob

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
For a guy with a history of being a complete moron? Yes, that should be a few games.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
nope. carrick put himself in a dangerous position by jumping in as a third man in someone else's scrum against on of the other team's best players. i mean sure it would have been "better" maybe to just let it slide and go out of his way to wreck Seguin at some point but heat of the moment and all.
Players do what Carrick did all the time without this happening. There’s a reasonable expectation that you won’t get boarded for getting in a typical after-whistle scrum.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Players do what Carrick did all the time without this happening. There’s a reasonable expectation that you won’t get boarded for getting in a typical after-whistle scrum.
Sure. people speed all the time too and there's a reasonable expectation they won't crash. it SHOULD be one of the things you think about when you enter a scrum even if it's a remote possibility.

Reactions: Uncle Bob

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
wtf... no... this is not suspension worthy... It's barely even worthy of a 2-minute cross-checking call, IF that. (I wouldn't even call it a penalty).

Also, if Carrick wants to be the 3rd man in and throw a shot at Scheiffele then he should be ready for the 4th man (Buff) to give him a shot as well.
:facepalm: it is a dirty hit and if you think that is a "clean" play then you really are a piece of work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->