Post-Game Talk: IS THIS A GOOD ENOUGH PGT THREAD FOR YA BRUINS?! LEAFS WIN 4-2!

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Not really. They had plenty of zone time and plenty of good scoring chances. Maybe it seemed better than it was for us because the contrast with the first two games was so big? Anyhow, Boston's played 3 good games now, they're not gonna give us anything and I think we're going to have to be better than we were last night to win on Thursday. And if we pull that off, we still have to win in their house somehow.

It's a very long road to travel to win this series. But at least we've taken the first step now, feels good man.
Agreed on all point. And every game is going to be harder. And we have to keep ramping up our game. We can do this!

Reactions: Gary Nylund

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Very true. The defensive core as a whole was passable, which was nice. They were wretched in game 1 and 2.

Still far too much sloppiness across the board. Also, I'd like to see a little more push back. They were better last night (ie Matthews talking to McAvoy after the slewfoot, Rielly going after Marchand after the shot after the whistle), but there could still be more. The bruins take liberties and you need to hold them accountable.

It was a good effort but more of what you said and we should secure G4. Andersen needs to control the rebounds better as well.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I agree with this. I remember being surprised when the Bruins took over the lead in SOG, but realized that it was because they were starting to play with a little more desperation in their game.

Games 1 and 2 were undoubtedly in the Bruins favour - While last night didn't look the same kind of dominant for us as it had for them, I thought the tables had turned, and we were seeing a confident, poised Leafs team that was fully capable of putting Boston on their heels. Yes, there were a couple fortunate bounces that went our way, or against the Bruins, but the exact same stuff was happening earlier in the series, too. (I don't find myself agreeing with Grapes as often as I used to (for which I am becoming increasingly thankful) but he was saying last night that everything evens out in hockey, and, in a weird way, I do think he's right.)
Same here. When I saw the shot totals I was a bit surprised as the leafs didn't look to be backing down but as @Gary Nylund pointed out maybe it was the contrast from the previous games that made it look so good? I'm willing to accept that as a possibility but end of the day we did out play them. Maybe not by a large margin and maybe not in sog but it was a satisfying game to watch.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Not really. They had plenty of zone time and plenty of good scoring chances. Maybe it seemed better than it was for us because the contrast with the first two games was so big? Anyhow, Boston's played 3 good games now, they're not gonna give us anything and I think we're going to have to be better than we were last night to win on Thursday. And if we pull that off, we still have to win in their house somehow.

It's a very long road to travel to win this series. But at least we've taken the first step now, feels good man.

LOL

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Forget about da stats gents. This is not going to be a stats series. It is really very simple. When Leafs outskate da Bruins and force them out of their small ice game then Leafs win. When Leafs are a step or two slower and Boston defence can play da blue lines tight then Bruins win. I was at all 3 games live and the better team won each game so far. Forget about the refs or Dick head or shots or PK or PP or whatever Yes the Leafs did not dominate to same extent like Bruins did but a win is a win as they say they all count the same.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Same here. When I saw the shot totals I was a bit surprised as the leafs didn't look to be backing down but as @Gary Nylund pointed out maybe it was the contrast from the previous games that made it look so good? I'm willing to accept that as a possibility but end of the day we did out play them. Maybe not by a large margin and maybe not in sog but it was a satisfying game to watch.

Zeke posted this on the main boards last night, numbers are from last nights game. Slight edge to Boston but considering scoring effects are a thing, maybe we can say it was dead even and leave it at that.

Series 5v5 Score Adjusted

TOR

47.3cf%
47.9scf%
48.2hdcf%
48.4xgf%

Oh, and here's one more number: 4-2 :D

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Zeke posted this on the main boards last night, numbers are from last nights game. Slight edge to Boston but considering scoring effects are a thing, maybe we can say it was dead even and leave it at that.

Your quote of Zeke's post says it's from the series (which makes sense) not from last night. I haven't seen the original, though - Was that just a misquote?

Reactions: saltming

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Your quote of Zeke's post says it's from the series (which makes sense) not from last night. I haven't seen the original, though - Was that just a misquote?

LOL I didn't even notice that, I just assumed it was from last night. Sorry about that, I'm not going assume anything any more. I guess we'll have to wait for Zeke to clarify (unless someone else knows where to get the numbers).

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I like that 4-2 number the best. It also supports my theory so I'm going to not see all the other numbers hahaha

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
LOL I didn't even notice that, I just assumed it was from last night. Sorry about that, I'm not going assume anything any more. I guess we'll have to wait for Zeke to clarify (unless someone else knows where to get the numbers).
When you assume Gary when you assume....
Tisk tisk haha

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I like that 4-2 number the best. It also supports my theory so I'm going to not see all the other numbers hahaha

Upon further consideration, I suspect that I was wrong - those numbers ARE for the series and the Leafs had the edge last night. Not 100% sure though, not sure of anything any more LOL. Well, except for the 4-2 part. :)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Never say never to a Mike Babcock coached team ...

Man is a genius and while he is playing 3 dimensional chess we're playing checkers with the line-up and game plan.

Marleau -- Plekanec -- Marner was brilliant on both concept and execution.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

no those are the numbers for the series so far.

the numbers for last night:

5v5 score adjusted

49.2cf%
54.9scf%
50.8hdcf%
50.3xgf%

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Man is a genius and while he is playing 3 dimensional chess we're playing checkers with the line-up and game plan.
Wouldn't say he's a genius but people give him waay too much flak for things they can only assume to know.
When he gets home ice advantage, his line roles work so much better.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Yeah Babcock has taken way too much grief all year for line-combos and whatever else. Most people thought he was nuts for playing Plecanek with Marner and Marleau last night and today, it's abundantly clear that he knew exactly what he was doing. There's probably not one poster on this forum who was advocating the lines we saw last night. And that's why he's the coach, and a damn fine coach too.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Upon further consideration, I suspect that I was wrong - those numbers ARE for the series and the Leafs had the edge last night. Not 100% sure though, not sure of anything any more LOL. Well, except for the 4-2 part. :)
200.gif

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
4 bad goals? We earned em. They weren't some ugly lucky bounces like Boston had gm 2 lol.

I'm evaluating Rask on the how many leaf fans on this board evaluate the goals Andy gives up and if Andy gave up those goals they'd all be considered soft and he'd be crucified this morning.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
no those are the numbers for the series so far.

the numbers for last night:

5v5 score adjusted

49.2cf%
54.9scf%
50.8hdcf%
50.3xgf%

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

So IIRC, you've said that xgf is the most reliable indicator of play. Based on that, last night was almost dead even, very slight edge to us which seems right.

Question - who complies the xgf numbers? I'm just wondering if there's bias from rink to rink or if we should be able to expect consistency across the board?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Yeah Babcock has taken way too much grief all year for line-combos and whatever else. Most people thought he was nuts for playing Plecanek with Marner and Marleau last night and today, it's abundantly clear that he knew exactly what he was doing. There's probably not one poster on this forum who was advocating the lines we saw last night. And that's why he's the coach, and a damn fine coach too.
I never knew about the line until they saw the ice in-game. I was surprised at first, but am very glad it worked out well.

As a few people could tell you, I'm rarely inclined to doubt Babcock ;)

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Wont be watching hockey or posting here for awhile. Just lost our daughter at 39 weeks this morning. I just want to wish all Leaf fans best of luck and hope they can win the series.

Condolences man. Hold your wife extra tight. Hopefully the Leafs can give you something to smile about in the coming weeks. All the best to you and yours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->