Post-Game Talk: IS THIS A GOOD ENOUGH PGT THREAD FOR YA BRUINS?! LEAFS WIN 4-2!

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Hyman getting a lot of love on air this morning . Well deserved, the guy has been a beast this series.
There were a couple people suggesting he wouldn't be as effective in the Playoffs, because he was already a hard-work guy, and everybody else would be upping their intensity once the games mattered.

I suggested Hyman could up his game as well, and he's not making me look stupid so far.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It wasn't a game saving save...just what the doc ordered for Andy's confidence...we had a 2 goal lead, but would have seriously swung the momentum if that went in...it was really amazing though!

That is not my point. Our defense still has major warts! Boston still had several opportunities to get back in that game! Andersen had to bail them out with huge saves.

Listen, I am all in favour of winning and I am happy there is no sweep, but come on. This is not a good defense!

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
There were a couple people suggesting he wouldn't be as effective in the Playoffs, because he was already a hard-work guy, and everybody else would be upping their intensity once the games mattered.

I suggested Hyman could up his game as well, and he's not making me look stupid so far.
His game is tailor made for playoff hockey. Love his heart.

Reactions: Leafidelity

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Out of nowhere Plek plays an all world game. I give Babs credit maybe he knows he plays better on a 2nd line shut down role. Moore added a ton too on 4th line as an energy guy which he knows how to do. But without a doubt Morgan Rielly played his best game for Leafs I have ever seen him play. He was physically involved, he made some amazing passes to open up Boston's small ice game, he got back into his own end much faster to retrieve pucks and he skated the puck a few times too but above he covered the net with some piss and vinegor which does not show up in the stats line but it means winning and losing games. Well done Morgan you are my player of the game. Lastly Freddy he started slow with 2 weak goals but holy cow what a finish. 10 bellers in 3rd were worth the price of admission.

When Leafs play really fast and can move Boston's defence off both lines then they do not look like the same team. Boston only looks good when they play their 5 man together small ice game. Once you open them up the warts start to show. Their defence is slow. Those long Caryle style passes even if they miss for icings forces Boston's defence to back up and retreat. McQuaid and Chara and Millar can't deal with them they start to look for support which isn't there. The Leafs must keep up the speed in game 4.

Last change means a lot more to Leafs then i realized. It really does help them. GO Leafs GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
When Kappy finally stops hitting the posts and getting twine instead, we're really going to make some noise. Super impressed by Marner and that whole line. Freddy's save at the end is going to be in just about every Leafs playoff montage for the next 30 years, what an unbelievable play. The boys still need to tighten up the giveaways, there were a lot of bad passes up the middle by just about everyone (forwards included) and those weren't helping the goaltender or embattled defensemen out. We're going to need to play almost mistake-free to win a game in Boston.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
tenor.gif

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Even their coach was whining after the game :laugh:

...but to me they got together and clearly they guessed because it hit the glass and we saw that. I think you're kinda innocent until proven guilty.
"I think if it happened against us I'd say the same thing. You have to be sure it goes out to make that call. Be sure on it if you're gonna come together."
https://www.tsn.ca/cassidy-refs-guessed-on-key-early-penalty-1.1059051

PFFFTTT.... Yeah Right Cassidy!!! You guys got a soft PP yourself!!!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I remember. There's been some interesting theories floating around, that's for sure.

When Kappy finally stops hitting the posts and getting twine instead, we're really going to make some noise. Super impressed by Marner and that whole line. Freddy's save at the end is going to be in just about every Leafs playoff montage for the next 30 years, what an unbelievable play. The boys still need to tighten up the giveaways, there were a lot of bad passes up the middle by just about everyone (forwards included) and those weren't helping the goaltender or embattled defensemen out. We're going to need to play almost mistake-free to win a game in Boston.

Um, first we have to win on Thursday. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, it was a good game but it was a very close game that could have gone either way and it came after we got blown out twice. Boston is super solid, experienced and consistent and if we let up for even a couple of minutes in any one game, we're in trouble. Let's not forget how close that game was, we could easily be down 3-0 now despite how well we played so ... it was ONE good game, it was our best game by far and it's probably not enough, we probably have to play better than we did last night to win the series.

One game at a time.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Great win, but still could be better.

All the D, except for Rielly, had mediocre to bad games. They all had at least 1 glaring giveaway that couldve been a goal. And while some, mostly Gardiner, made up for it with good play for the most part, those give aways are what the Bruins were capitalizing on the first 2 games. We cant make it that easy for them.

The forwards for the most part were great, Plekanec especially had a huge redemption game.

Andy, although he came up big when needed, needs to cover the puck on the first shot. Most of the Bruins best chances came after a shot on net where Andersen missed an easy catch keeping the play alive.
Sometimes I wonder what games people are watching....

Gardiner was great too. Stopped 2 guaranteed goals with good defensive awareness and positining as well as making some great plays offensively. Pinch to keep the puck in and got an assist on the Matthews GWG..

At some point you gotta let the 1 mistake (pancake up the middle) slide as management are clearly asking Gardiner to try those stretch passes. Hell he sprung a couple breakaways and only had 1 bad turnover from stretch passes. That's pretty good.

But I do agree, can't be giving Bruins that many turnovers in general in the leafs defensive zone. All the forwards were great, lots of intensity.

Reactions: IBeL34f

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Great win but need game #4 just as much. We won game #3 last year and then lost #4. Need to bring it back to Boston even with the return of Kadri.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
They definitely skated last night, had Boston on their heels, that being said:

We only allowed 1 power play, the odds of this happening again are slim. Our PK looks horrible, did again last night, Pastrnak missed an empty net. Need to shore that up.

Andersen played great, those 2 weak goals almost killed them though, cant be having that.

I'm not a homer, but Boston gets away with pretty much everything, its actually getting ridiculous.

Lets hope we can keep this up for the rest of the series, we will need efforts like this every game, especially on the road.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Some of y'all who doubted Babcock needs to give him credit, I know it's only one game. But Plekanec looked great tonight and seemed to mesh well with Marleau and Marner.

IMO. Stick with this line. Its the only time we shut down RAT,BERG and PASTA.

Kadri returning is a huge PLUS. But lest we forget how Berg Rat and Pasta outplayed Kadri.

If it aint broke...am i right

great bounce back game and a great win , we did better at protecting the front of the net but we're still very sloppy in our own win

hopefully this builds momentum for us because we can't rely on Rask giving up 4 bad goals every game

4 bad goals? We earned em. They weren't some ugly lucky bounces like Boston had gm 2 lol.

I said either we lose this game and get swept, or we win and pull a comeback. Still a few things that need to be fixed up, however we looked good.

When Kadri comes back he slots in at Moore's spot right? If Plecs can play like this and shut down Bergeron again next game I don't think you can swap the lines. Kadri inbetween Kapanen and Johnsson is something becomes a pretty darn good line that can can score and defend.

Yes. You can always swap Pleks & Kadri if they adapt to Pleks, but until then don't break them up.

Pleks made that line beatable, Kadri didn't.
We trust you Babs!
GO LEAFS GO!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
IMO. Stick with this line. Its the only time we shut down RAT,BERG and PASTA.

Kadri returning is a huge PLUS. But lest we forget how Berg Rat and Pasta outplayed Kadri.

If it aint broke...am i right

4 bad goals? We earned em. They weren't some ugly lucky bounces like Boston had gm 2 lol.

Yes. You can always swap Pleks & Kadri if they adapt to Pleks, but until then don't break them up.

Pleks made that line beatable, Kadri didn't.
We trust you Babs!
GO LEAFS GO!

Even when Kadri comes back I think they will keep Pleks where he is. It only makes sense and Kadri will become our 4th line C with Kappy and Johnsson likely. I think that could actually be a good thing but you would need to give him floater minutes naturally.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
They definitely skated last night, had Boston on their heels, that being said:

We only allowed 1 power play, the odds of this happening again are slim. Our PK looks horrible, did again last night, Pastrnak missed an empty net. Need to shore that up.

Andersen played great, those 2 weak goals almost killed them though, cant be having that.

I'm not a homer, but Boston gets away with pretty much everything, its actually getting ridiculous.

Lets hope we can keep this up for the rest of the series, we will need efforts like this every game, especially on the road.
The refs really put their whistles away last night. Whether it was for better or worse might be hard to say, but I do know that - (outside of the ridiculous level of excitement I felt leading up to, and during, the first period of Game 1) - last night was when I finally said, 'OK, now this is Playoff hockey'.

What I liked about the lack of calls was that it allowed both teams to try and assert their style of play without outside interference, but - while last change certainly gave us a match-up advantage we didn't have in Games 1 or 2 - it was the Leafs who were able to dictate the pace of the game with their speed and skill, and finally get into the heads of the Bruins.

If we can keep things 5v5, with that level of intensity - I like our chances.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That is not my point. Our defense still has major warts! Boston still had several opportunities to get back in that game! Andersen had to bail them out with huge saves.

Listen, I am all in favour of winning and I am happy there is no sweep, but come on. This is not a good defense!
Or Boston has a really good offence.
Instead of ripping on a good game give credit were it's due; the bruins score a ton because they are good at scoring meaning every teams defense has problems handling them.
Our d was good last night we eliminated the back door (mostly) and boxed out better than game one or two.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Or Boston has a really good offence.
Instead of ripping on a good game give credit were it's due; the bruins score a ton because they are good at scoring meaning every teams defense has problems handling them.
Our d was good last night we eliminated the back door (mostly) and boxed out better than game one or two.

The only chance we have is to sucker them into fire wagon games. They own us in a structured tilt, establish zone and then just pick apart our weak D. I guess you could say... Skate your legs off and don't give them any space, oh and finish your checks to gain a half second or step on them where you can. No penalties either.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Sadly I think the old standard of did anyone get hurt will apply.

Super dirty.

Someone should gif that swing for the GDT that goes on the main board on Thursday. A little jab for the Bruins fans "taking over" yesterdays GDT.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Even when Kadri comes back I think they will keep Pleks where he is. It only makes sense and Kadri will become our 4th line C with Kappy and Johnsson likely. I think that could actually be a good thing but you would need to give him floater minutes naturally.
I'd treat the Kadri line as the 3rd line and the Bozak line as the 4th line in that scenario, at least in terms of 5v5 usage. I don't think Johnsson or Kapanen need to be sheltered as much at Even Strength as JVR does, and we know Babcock's comfortable with Kadri against any opponent.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->