Post-Game Talk: IS THIS A GOOD ENOUGH PGT THREAD FOR YA BRUINS?! LEAFS WIN 4-2!

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I thought there were a lot of good players in game 3.

However, Marner really stuck out with some sound defense against the Bergeron line, some physicality, and his usual offensive plays. Glad he's healthy these playoffs, hes been one of our best forwards so far.

I think Nylander has more to show. He's been alright offensively and better than usual defensively, but he's mostly been a passenger on his line. I think he can (and will) break out offensively in one of the next few games. He hasnt been terrible (and i know he had a nice assist today), but he is a guy that has another step to take.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
great bounce back game and a great win , we did better at protecting the front of the net but we're still very sloppy in our own win

hopefully this builds momentum for us because we can't rely on Rask giving up 4 bad goals every game

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
One thing going unnoticed is Bergeron has 3 goals in his last 17 games and looks pretty mediocre relative to his mid-season elite form. His 5 assists he accumulated are all garbage points from Leafs playing scared.

Plekanec shadowing bergeron gives marner so much room that he didn't have in game 2. I think that's why that trio works so well. While plek focuses on his assignment, Marner can drive the line and Marleau can focus on a solid 2-way game.

Props to Babcock for singling out Bergeron and finding a role for plekanec that finally makes him an asset to the team. If I can notice Bergeron is not himself right now, they for sure noticed it too and will continue to exploit it. Their top line was a combined -7.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I said either we lose this game and get swept, or we win and pull a comeback. Still a few things that need to be fixed up, however we looked good.

When Kadri comes back he slots in at Moore's spot right? If Plecs can play like this and shut down Bergeron again next game I don't think you can swap the lines. Kadri inbetween Kapanen and Johnsson is something becomes a pretty darn good line that can can score and defend.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
Moore and Pleks turned up tonight - 2 unlikely players I thought we’d be praising today.

Morgan Reilly was fantastic.

2 weak goals by Anderson however 2 all world saves too - overall good showing

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Happy for the win, but let's be honest, that wasn't a great game, at all.
Finally had luck on our side, our first goal should not have been a PP, out shot 42-30 with 12 giveaways.
We came out much more physical and Freddy had a great game.
Still need to improve on D, and Bozaks line in still getting hemmed.
Like I said, I'll take it, but much to improve for games 4 onward.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
U guys forget how good marner kadri marleau line was in the regular season???
I think when naz comes back he will get right back where he was but with plakenic going i think our 4th line just got the boost we needed... Can't wait!

You forget how good the Bergeron line has been and how we didn’t have an answer for them until tonight?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I’m going to offer something controversial.

Part of our victory was due to the Refs.

I don’t mean we got favourable calls.

I mean they let a lot of stuff go last night.... for both teams. We were able to box out the Bruins in front of the net, or knock them off the puck along boards. At times, it resembled lacrosse the way we could use the stick to gain position and puck.

This is what “letting the players decide” feels like.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Fuming That His Dives Not Called... Marchand Refuses to Speak to Media... Heads Straight for Team Bus

200w.gif

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I said either we lose this game and get swept, or we win and pull a comeback. Still a few things that need to be fixed up, however we looked good.

When Kadri comes back he slots in at Moore's spot right? If Plecs can play like this and shut down Bergeron again next game I don't think you can swap the lines. Kadri inbetween Kapanen and Johnsson is something becomes a pretty darn good line that can can score and defend.
Thing is, when Kadri comes back we are away and can no longer dictate matchups. He will resume his normal spot, at least for a game.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Honestly asking - does the league not take a look at that two handed chop by Marchand?

Blows my mind the media hasn't looked at it. If Rielly got injured there, it would have been a 5+ game suspension easily. Super dangerous stick swing.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
BOOM! right back in this series. Solid game by the boys last night. Win Game 4 and its like the first two games never happened.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Blows my mind the media hasn't looked at it. If Rielly got injured there, it would have been a 5+ game suspension easily. Super dangerous stick swing.

Sadly I think the old standard of did anyone get hurt will apply.

Super dirty.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I’m going to offer something controversial.

Part of our victory was due to the Refs.

I don’t mean we got favourable calls.

I mean they let a lot of stuff go last night.... for both teams. We were able to box out the Bruins in front of the net, or knock them off the puck along boards. At times, it resembled lacrosse the way we could use the stick to gain position and puck.

This is what “letting the players decide” feels like.

There were some pretty egregious non-calls on the Bruins as well though.

Both teams gained an advantage from being able to maul the opposition without getting a penalty.

It was nice to have the refs let them play.

Reactions: Welsh Maple Leaf

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Both teams gained an advantage from being able to maul the opposition without getting a penalty.

I’d give you a like but I lost that privilege from the GDT on the main boards ;)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sadly I think the old standard of did anyone get hurt will apply.

Super dirty.

I can't imagine what the thought process was to give them both a penalty when Rielly just gave him a nice on the shoulder pads for taking a shot after the whistle.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
TBH, the second goal wasn't exactly terrible. A guy like Chara, who is not renowned at all for his shot accuracy, roofs it from a near impossible angle. You can't really fault Anderson on that one, he's obviously playing the pass, since there is roughly a 1% chance Chara would score from there. Chara scored, he beat the odds. Can't fault Freddie on that one.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he was playing the pass but he had to be ready for the possibility of a pass as always.

TBH, I don't think the 1st goal was all on him either. Johnsson deserves most of the blame as first he was in the corner leaving his man at the point wide open, then when he realized he was out of position, he started rushing back and was just in time to jump in front of the shot and screen Freddie. That's how it looked to me anyway, Freddie was set in position when the shot was taken, but then Johnsson jumped in front of it and he lost track of it.

Great game overall from Freddie, let's hope his slump is over and he's back for good.

Thing is, when Kadri comes back we are away and can no longer dictate matchups. He will resume his normal spot, at least for a game.

I think it depends on how the next game goes. If the Plecanek line plays that well again I don't see how you break them up, matchups or no. No reason we can't keep them together and roll 4 lines, the only weak spot defensively is the Bozak line as usual.

Game definitely had a nice flow to it. Let 'em play, just like Cherry says. ;)

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I thought it was 'F U RAT' and a finger point at Marchand
As awesome as that would be, I'm 99% sure he said "F***in' right!"

The super-slo-mo makes it look like the transition to the 'r' in "right" includes a word beginning with a 'y' or 'u' sound ("yeah" or "you") but I don't think that's actually the case.

Reactions: LeafGrief

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I can't imagine what the thought process was to give them both a penalty when Rielly just gave him a nice on the shoulder pads for taking a shot after the whistle.

Honestly, it’s probably that his dirty 2 hander was “only” aimed at the midsection

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Was that Andersen save last night the best/biggest in Leafs history?

If the lead had been only one goal it would have been a lot bigger. It was pretty incredible though, I even called my wife to watch the replay and she barely has a clue as to what she's watching. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad