Is there still someone who thinks that the Pens are getting favourable reffing?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
You're clearly blind if you think a stick lift entails moving the stick in a downward motion and making contact near the blocker. Now who's being a homer?

Ridiculous-goal-54886ec03a479.gif

Yeah, you clearly see the stick get knocked out of his hand. Could he have held the stick more tightly before the slash? sure but he had 1 hand on it at the time and you don't expect players to do that because it's a penalty. But that wont matter, Canucks got gifted a goal there.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I don't think any teams get favourable reffing, at least not from some sort of conspiracy from Bettman or some of the nonsense I've read before. I think certain players may get reputations and be treated differently by specific referees. I think some refs might let some bias seep through (they're human). I don't think any team in the league get's preferential treatment.

I think sometimes it's easy to feel like the Pens are in the leagues pocket because inevitably they'l get a call in their favour and that'll confirm a lot of peoples confirmation bias. I know Leafs fans like to bring up the Malkin goal, but wasn't there a game where Orr just steamrolled a goalie and scored a goal?

Meh, **** happens.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Yeah, you clearly see the stick get knocked out of his hand. Could he have held the stick more tightly before the slash? sure but he had 1 hand on it at the time and you don't expect players to do that because it's a penalty. But that wont matter, Canucks got gifted a goal there.
Yeah, and it was a SH goal as well. Not only it shouldn´t have counted, but the Pens should have a 5vs3 powerplay as a result of that.

But anyways, the Vancouver game reffing wasn´t even that bad, it was one of the very few games where the Pens got more PPs (3:2), but they were just outplayed. I just said in OP that even in this game there was a moment why the Pens had a reason to be kinda frustrated. It´s a cumulating effect when the fans are getting tired from a weird stretch like this and they understandably expect the worst and complain about every verdict. Just because there is quite a lot of crap recently.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Malkin only gets dirty when teams are taking dirty shots at him. They do constantly. it was in scouting reports on him, that if you continuously cheap shot him he retaliates and we all know refs only call retaliation. Look up Malkin getting jumped by three guys and getting tossed. they abused him all game, then they assult him and the ref throws him out and gives the other team the Pk supposedly for what he said to the ref... which I hope was along the lines of "you blow at your job and deserve to be fired you xenophobic ******" with a lot of cursing included.

Heck I watched Ovechkin, who is far dirtier, and whom I don't really like, take abuse one game so bad I kind of was Ok when he borderline boarded the defenseman... two handed slashes to knees and hands and such should be called... not laughed off because the ref is a jerk. the behind the play nonsense is way out of hand and its totally on the refs. there are two now... no excuses for as bad as its gotten

Yep. I'd say that at least 95% of Malkin's "dirty" play is retaliation to the constant spears and slashes away from the play that are uncalled.

Flyers fans like to say that Couturier shuts down Malkin and frustrates him. Even though the stats disagree, if you watch the two, Couturier will be crosschecking Malkin constantly away from the play and not let Malkin get up the ice. All this is of course while the refs turn a blind eye. However, when Malkin gets fed up and delivers a slash to the player who has been cheating all game, he is instantly sent to the box.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Yep. I'd say that at least 95% of Malkin's "dirty" play is retaliation to the constant spears and slashes away from the play that are uncalled.

Flyers fans like to say that Couturier shuts down Malkin and frustrates him. Even though the stats disagree, if you watch the two, Couturier will be crosschecking Malkin constantly away from the play and not let Malkin get up the ice. All this is of course while the refs turn a blind eye. However, when Malkin gets fed up and delivers a slash to the player who has been cheating all game, he is instantly sent to the box.
Yeah. Here´s a proof that this strategy is applied on Malkin btw:

Dubinsky & Marc Staal were doing the same to Crosby last playoffs, too. The only difference was that Sid didn´t even retaliate, he was just frustrated from it and it was bringing him off his game. That´s why the Pens added some grit, those liberties are supposed to end this year from what was said in Penguins organization. The question is if the Pens wouldn´t suffer from it some more, though. Maybe the players like Downie, Bortuzzo, Despres, Comeau etc. will be trying to defend the superstars but that doesn´t mean that the Pens won´t end up short-handed at the end of the day anyway.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Substitute the Pens with the Leafs and you may have a point.
Well..
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Difference between PP opportunities and times on the PK the since 2009

CAR 154
CHI 143
TOR 114
SJS 90
DET 88
FLA 53
NYI 41
NJD 35
NSH 35
NYR 33
CGY 25
TBL 22
CBJ 21
LAK 8
DAL 4
PIT 1
PHX -8
MIN -19
VAN -26
BUF -28
STL -36
PHI -37
WPG -53
EDM -61
WSH -63
ANA -75
BOS -78
MTL -100
OTT -133
COL -149

Also: http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.ht...usPenaltyKillSeconds&viewName=penaltyKillTime

Leafs seem to be doing fine in this manner. Good luck for the rest of the season, btw.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
You're clearly blind if you think a stick lift entails moving the stick in a downward motion and making contact near the blocker. Now who's being a homer?

Ridiculous-goal-54886ec03a479.gif

watch the angle facing Greiss he lifts his stick near the top of the stick , its a fair play

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Not the Pens, just Crosby. He gets away with alot of stuff that others wouldnt..

Saw him get away with multiple cross checks in the Devils game.. All of them coming after he had been hit

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Not the Pens, just Crosby. He gets away with alot of stuff that others wouldnt..

Saw him get away with multiple cross checks in the Devils game.. All of them coming after he had been hit

Damn! Well, based on this evidence, I'm sold!

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Maybe teams know not to play risky, since they know how dangerous pens are on the PP?

And the refs are supposed to be helping the other teams with that?

Devils Trap said:

:laugh: Typical HF mentality.

"Our players can take liberties against the Penguins. That's just tough hockey! But if the Penguins do it it's cheap, dirty hockey!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->