Is there ever going to be another bench clearing brawl in the NHL?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
You look at clips from the '70s and even most of the 80s and you can see several bench clearing brawls over the year, even at the WJC in '87 we all know. They seemed so natural back then. I can remember Floyd Smith coach of the Leafs in '79 calling his players to go onto the ice against the Isles I believe it was. the last bench clearer I can think of is in the '92 playoffs with the Devils and Rangers after a game. I guess nowadays there is less controversy since players dont have to cross the ice in most rinks to get to their change rooms which started a lot of them, but will we ever see another bench clearing brawl in the NHL?

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Big Phil said:
You look at clips from the '70s and even most of the 80s and you can see several bench clearing brawls over the year, even at the WJC in '87 we all know. They seemed so natural back then. I can remember Floyd Smith coach of the Leafs in '79 calling his players to go onto the ice against the Isles I believe it was. the last bench clearer I can think of is in the '92 playoffs with the Devils and Rangers after a game. I guess nowadays there is less controversy since players dont have to cross the ice in most rinks to get to their change rooms which started a lot of them, but will we ever see another bench clearing brawl in the NHL?

Now that players get a 10-game suspension for leaving the bench to get in a fight, I doubt it. Though I wonder if the NHL would really give 10 game suspensions to 15 guys on each team if it did happen. :dunno:

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
colonel_korn said:
Now that players get a 10-game suspension for leaving the bench to get in a fight, I doubt it. Though I wonder if the NHL would really give 10 game suspensions to 15 guys on each team if it did happen. :dunno:
I thought about that once.

Some teams could try it out to see what happens cause I really doubt the NHL would give a full roster of players 10 game suspensions.

Transported Upstater

habsfan15 said:
if the Habs and Leafs played against eachother in the playoffs it wouldn't surprise me ;)

I don't think we hate the Habs as much as we hate the Sens, to be honest.

JWINK19

southern Devils fan
Dec 31, 2005
Wilmington, NC
12# Peter Bondra said:
I thought about that once.

Some teams could try it out to see what happens cause I really doubt the NHL would give a full roster of players 10 game suspensions.

I bet they would do it. They would just stagger the suspensions. Five guys at a time until everyone served their sentence.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
It is unlikely to happen but it probably will at some time in the next 10-20 years. If someone really runs your best player and a brawl breaks out and your first line is getting pummelled by the other teams goon line then one or 2 of your goons jump on the ice then everybody does it. It has to happen sometime regardless of the 10 game suspension.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
Yeah, it was kind of embarrassing back then but I also kind of miss it, its nice to know that its at least possible.

KingsFanInRI

Waiting 4 next year
Aug 27, 2005
Outside Providence
I fear that we will have to settle for the line brawl now.
A couple of years ago I remember Adam Mair, when he was with the Kings, came off the bench during a line brawl with the Senators; I thought for sure that it was gonna be a bench-clearer.

I was under the impression that only the first off the bench got the 10 games, but I guess I am wrong. Also, doesn't the coach get a suspension as well? Seems to me that Andy Murray got suspended (or at least fined) over the Mair thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->