Is there argument to be made that the Jets(On Paper) have a Top 10 Defence?

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
With keeping Enstrom, signing Kulikov and having a deadly Right side is there argument for this? Please give your thoughts below and vote in the poll section, Thanks.

Sure, why not?

Morrissey - Trouba
Kulikov - Byfuglien
Enstrom - Myers
Are there 11 teams that have a better blue line? I'd be hard pressed to name them, but I'm not THAT familiar with every team in the NHL.

I guess the thing that might come into play is the injury bug again, we always seem to have something happen. When we have to lean on Buff for 30 minutes a game he turns into a disaster, the same will be true for most players, and on top of that our depth beyond our top 6 has been a steep drop off. But if we ice the team we want to ice for 82 games it's pretty tough to think of more than 10 teams that have more skill in 6 D men than the Jets. Man, even 5 teams?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
With keeping Enstrom, signing Kulikov and having a deadly Right side is there argument for this? Please give your thoughts below and vote in the poll section, Thanks.

You have a couple of maybe's there but I think it might be more important how Myers rebounds and how well Buff plays with less TOI. We are not top 10 with bad Buff and bad Myers even if Toby and Kulikov play well.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think they are top ten. The development of Trouba and Morrissey has really elevated the quality, because D like Buff, Enstrom and Myers are still good, but now in 2nd and even third pairing roles.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Jets can probably sustain through a couple of key injuries better than the majority of teams, too.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Would be interesting to do this for forwards and goalies, too.

My take...

Forwards... Top 5
Defense... Top 10
Goalies... Top 20

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Pretty decent group but Buff's defensive abilities brings the overall group down.

No way.

Buff's defensive choices, not abilities, hurts his impact relative to it's potential. I have no doubt about that.

But, he's still one of the Jets better defenders, so he's pulling the average up, not down.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
If all manage 60 +games, and Toby and Kulikov bring their levels up to their averaged levels, yes.

For me the biggest wildcard is Myers. If he can manage a 70 game season, we could have one of the best Ds in the entire league.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
No way.

Buff's defensive choices, not abilities, hurts his impact relative to it's potential. I have no doubt about that.

But, he's still one of the Jets better defenders, so he's pulling the average up, not down.

If you think he's one of our better defenders we are in trouble this year.

I agree about choices. But there's no way he makes the average up. He's an absolute terrible defender. Anyone with a bit of hockey sense can see mistake after mistake out there. From poor pinching (which he's improved on) to simply not covering the guy in front of the net.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
If you think he's one of our better defenders we are in trouble this year.

I agree about choices. But there's no way he makes the average up. He's an absolute terrible defender. Anyone with a bit of hockey sense can see mistake after mistake out there. From poor pinching (which he's improved on) to simply not covering the guy in front of the net.

As a NHL coach once told me:
For 95% of the game, he's one of the best defenders in the league.
For 5% of the game, he's one of the worst.

I think you got the trade off wrong.

The results suggest the same thing, that you are right about his defensive issues, but wrong about the trade offs:
screen-shot-2017-05-03-at-11-33-41-am1.png

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

My take...

Forwards... Top 5
Defense... Top 10
Goalies... Top 20

Forwards top 10
Defense top 10
Goalie top 30
Coaching top 30

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
As a NHL coach once told me:
For 95% of the game, he's one of the best defenders in the league.
For 5% of the game, he's one of the worst.

I think you got the trade off wrong.

The results suggest the same thing, that you are right about his defensive issues, but wrong about the trade offs:
screen-shot-2017-05-03-at-11-33-41-am1.png

I never disagreed with the trade off.

In that 5% when he's the worst it has lead to numerous goals, more so from just flat out laziness. But I think that's a fair statement. When he's good he's great, and when he's bad he's really bad. I mean you can be an average or below average defender and you just get 'beat'. But his nine times out of ten is from flat out laziness or stupidity, totally out of position, not tying the guy up standing right beside him, etc.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
If you guys found this interesting and think I should do Forwards I will.. any Ideas how I should poll the next one?

LimpDave

Jul 17, 2006
Winnipeg

My take...

Forwards... Top 5
Defense... Top 10
Goalies... Top 20

Agreed, although to give us top 5 offense we would have to weight the value of potential and depth very high...maybe safer to say top 10.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Forwards for sure in terms of goals for. Defense I said no, but I'm not sure which team I would take higher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad