Is there anywhere I could find skates for wide feet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acr*

I had a job interview with the local AHL team the other day, and I'm going to have to go 'audition' for them at a rink up there on Friday to show them I can skate.

Today I went to the local rinks and rented a pair which were a size up from my shoes, but they were still crushing my feet(not to mention that since I had to wear them loose, I didn't have much ankle stability and almost lost an edge a couple times on stops).

My feet are terrible. They're extremely wide and extremely flat. I have orthodic inserts, which I did put into the skates today and helped a little, but if I get this job I'm going to have to get a pair of wider skates, because my feet couldn't take the pain of being crushed like that 40 times a year.

Which brands can I order wider skates from, and what are their websites? For the record my shoe size is 11.5 6E(US). How much would a pair like that run me compared to the average one?

Moon Man*

This has been a long time problem for me as well. I have freakish EEEEE width feet. I used to put up with the pinching for the half dozen times a year I used to skate, but now I haven't skated in a couple of years.

I'm interested in a few responses as well. Good Luck in the interview, acr... Make sure you lead off with a "LEEROY JENKINS!!!" battlecry...

acr*

Newfie Jesus said:
This has been a long time problem for me as well. I have freakish EEEEE width feet. I used to put up with the pinching for the half dozen times a year I used to skate, but now I haven't skated in a couple of years.

I'm interested in a few responses as well. Good Luck in the interview, acr... Make sure you lead off with a "LEEROY JENKINS!!!" battlecry...

Yeah, I hadn't skated for a year or two before today. I had to go to brush up. I took skating lessons when i was about 14, and that was before I got orthodics. and damn, skating killed my feet. I literally had to stop and take a seat on the bench every other lap around the rink. It was horrible.

As for the interview...

"We're sorry, you're just not right for the job"
"Least I have Chicken..."

slapsht25

Aug 3, 2005
Graf has several widths and cuts of skates tha should be able to fit your needs

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Graf...

You'll pay big bucks but your feet will thank you for it. As the poster above said, different styles for different feet. Best skate on the market.

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
Bob Clarke Fan Club said:
You'll pay big bucks but your feet will thank you for it. As the poster above said, different styles for different feet. Best skate on the market.

Never tried Graf myself but ive only ever heard good things about them.

Im sure a while ago i heard that Mission used to do skates in EE. Not sure if they still do, might be worth checking out though.

MassiveHabs

Jan 10, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
I don't have wide feet, but my shoe size is 17, so I had to special order my skates, I just went to Play it Again sports and they were able to special order straight from Toronto...They Bauers btw...

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Qui Gon Dave said:
Never tried Graf myself but ive only ever heard good things about them.

Im sure a while ago i heard that Mission used to do skates in EE. Not sure if they still do, might be worth checking out though.

I've worn everything from Daoust to Mission(which I like), but I had a pair of Grafs custom fitted a few years back and have never felt anything like them. You can feel the quality of the boot. They seem to be supple in the right spots and rigid in the right areas. They have different ball and heel widths for different models, hence just about anyones feet. I believe it was the 703 I tried back then. I haven't stayed up to speed on the newer models but I'm sure it's still a tremendous skate. Back then they were the only skate company that didn't pay pro's to wear em....yet quite a few did.

acr*

Thanks. grafcanada.com isn't working, and looking on other sites the prices for the ones available in extra extra wide are upwards of $300:eek:

Maybe I'll wait for birthday and christmas money before I can get a pair, or search on ebay to see if there are any there.

Edit:I think those prices are in Canadian dollars, which knocks down $30-$70 from the total depending on which pair I look at, but $280+ US for skates is still something I can't do at the moment. I could ask for a big birthday present though.

acr*

I found a pair of Nike Pro Quest 1 that come in 11.5 EE and 12.0 EE for only $119.98

Anyone know if those skates are durable or good. Also, if my shoe size is 11.5 6E, should I get the 11.5 or the 12 skate? Do feet keep growing after you're 18?

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
Hi ACR,

So, you're looking for a pair of skates that are wider. Usually, Nike and Bauer skates usually run narrower than the most of them. On the other spectrum, you'll find Easton's and CCM's. A EE CCM is one of the widest skates available. Unless you can find a good pair on closeout, I would recommend Easton ultra light skates. They are fairly cheap and provide a good level of performance for the price.

If you have time, consider trying a few pairs at a local proshop before venturing on the net to find good prices. Comfort for those things a re very personal. Good luck.

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
I own a pair of Nike Quest 1 and have been very satisfied with them. I'm afraid that they are not well suited for your foot though. I really doubt that you'll be confortable in them. I forgot to mention. since you live in Canada, you might be able to find a pair of Koho's. If I remember correclty, they run on the wide side and a great if you have a big instep.

acr*

I actually don't live in Canada, I brought up the conversions because the prices on the grafs I found were in Canadian dollars.

Thanks for the help, I did get a part time scorekeeping job at a rink around here, so when I go next time I'll stop in the proshop and see what they have that I could try on.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
The Koho's

Never really thought of them but the poster who mentioned them was correct, they do run wider. I believe CCM only comes in an E as opposed to Bauers EE. I believe the quest have a wide toe box but narrow shank...I've never actually had a broken in pair on my feet but my feet are normal width and the new ones I've tried seemed really constrictive around the arches and rigid on the outsides. This could be my fragile feet though. If you can find out about the KOHO'S check them out, should be relatively cheap. I have a friend who ref's full time and says they're remarkably comfy. This guy isn't a 6e but has a pretty wide foot. I know Graf has a plant in Calgary and Switzerland...and I'm pretty sure their web page sucks. Hope you find the right pair, best of luck. Oh, with your feet...buying skates online would be pure hockey suicide. Be sure to try on whatever you buy first. I've seen some scary chewed up feet from the wrong skates. :)

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
acr said:
I had a job interview with the local AHL team the other day, and I'm going to have to go 'audition' for them at a rink up there on Friday to show them I can skate.

Today I went to the local rinks and rented a pair which were a size up from my shoes, but they were still crushing my feet(not to mention that since I had to wear them loose, I didn't have much ankle stability and almost lost an edge a couple times on stops).

My feet are terrible. They're extremely wide and extremely flat. I have orthodic inserts, which I did put into the skates today and helped a little, but if I get this job I'm going to have to get a pair of wider skates, because my feet couldn't take the pain of being crushed like that 40 times a year.

Which brands can I order wider skates from, and what are their websites? For the record my shoe size is 11.5 6E(US). How much would a pair like that run me compared to the average one?

Pretty much every popular skate available on the market is available in a wider E width. Most LHS' don't keep E width skates in stock, but you can get them online easily or your LHS can order them for you.

Regular skates come in a D width, you need an E width.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
futurcorerock said:
Short term: See thread

Long term: Custom skates.... i've got mine and they're great.

Who'd you get your customs though? I got mine through Graf and couldn't be happier with the actual product. I'll toss up pics so you guys can see if someone asks.

For the thread originator. Stick to Eastons or Tacks, get'em punched out if needed. Go to a reputable sporting goods store, and get fitted properly. Make sure your toes feather the front of the skate, make sure the depth of the skate is right as well. Take a pen across the eyelets near the top and make sure your foot isn't above it. The new Nike V-series line is really wide as well. The V-12s can be had for cheap right now too and their a great skate if they fit properly.

Like the poster above mentioned MSH is a great place for hockey equipment talk as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad